Notices

Thread: ER-5 - how long do they live?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. ER-5 - how long do they live? 
    Hi all,

I've only recently passed my DAS and I'm about to swap my CG 125 for an ER-5 as a good starting bike (commuter).

I know this ER has been very well looked after but it's an 02 with around 44k miles on it. Any idea how long these things will go on for if they are well looked after? I've been assured the oil and filters have been changed every 3k since new.

Cheers

2. Re: ER-5 - how long do they live? 
    The reason I am a little concerned about the mileage is that I've had a look at Autotrader, eBay, and MCN and couldn't find one with any more on the clock than mine out of a few hundred ER-5s.

Hopefully it will at least live a year or so until I get something more exciting!

3. Re: ER-5 - how long do they live? 
    they seem to be pretty robust from what I've seen - I'm sure there are a few higher mileage ones in WB
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

4. Re: ER-5 - how long do they live? 
    The main thing is to make sure the high mileage is reflected in the price you pay.

5. Re: ER-5 - how long do they live? 
    It's not the mileage that matters as much as how well it's been maintained.

6. Re: ER-5 - how long do they live? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelpie
    It's not the mileage that matters as much as how well it's been maintained.
    That as well.

7. Re: ER-5 - how long do they live? 
    ace bikes and very very cheap to repair when dropped lol. I love mine and it was a good step up after my YBR 125. Mine is a T reg with 31,000ish on the clock but it is sturdy, solid and makes me smile....a lot ;D ;D ;D ;D

8. Re: ER-5 - how long do they live? 
    Well I'm actually swapping it for the CG. Admittedly my CG is newer but it's had some damage so they're worth about the same price. He's thrown in some cash on top of the bike, and giving me brand new tires, a service, battery, fresh MOT, and a tank of fuel.

I'm probably losing out slightly in terms of actual value for value, but for the sheer convenience of swapping and not having to advertise my bike and potentially pay fees I'm happy with the trade. Really looking forward to getting the bike just waiting for Phil Stokes to let us know when it's ready.

9. Re: ER-5 - how long do they live? 
    I'm a bit concerned about my height (6'4) I think it might make the ER-5 a bit uncomfortable if I try to do some lengthy journeys (which I've been planning on doing).

If it is a bit uncomfortable I can always part exchange it and get something more appropriate in a few months time when I'm used to the extra power.

It almost has the same BHP as my car and weighs about 10x less so I'm sure it will keep me entertained for a while.

10. Re: ER-5 - how long do they live? 
    I'm tallish (5' 7&quot and looked at an ER5 - I didn't go for it as I wanted something bigger but I seem to remember it was pretty comfy to sit on.

You may find that there aren't alot for sale with higher mileage as after a while it's just not worth selling them on, better to keep them as a second runaround. There may well be a good few knocking about in garages still.
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...