Notices

Thread: Locked up rear wheel

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: Locked up rear wheel 
    Quote Originally Posted by JonGeorge
    [quote author=Nikki link=1349880138/5#5 date=1349881769][quote author=JonGeorge link=1349880138/0#0 date=1349880138]Ooops, I managed to lock the rear wheel up on the way home. Almost as frightening as when I hit gravel coming out of a bend... I don't think I'll be using my rear brake again ...any tips? I'm sure I wasnt pressing the too hard?
    I think it stems form driving a car ie pressing down hard on the pedal without realising it to stop quickly.

I used to do it quite a lot, including locking my wheel up, but since doing my IAM training I've learnt to use the front brake much more and very little back brake.

It took me a while to get my head around that but I'd find some safe space off the road and have a go at just using your front brake so that you get a feel for it and see how hard you brake with the front brake staying in control and stopping safely using that.

Trouble is its not something you can practice on the road but that's certainly what helped me.[/quote]

I feel more confortable using the rear I have no idea why? Maybe it does stem from driving and its an automatic reaction? It's not the first time I locked the rear up, I find I do it in a panic aswell. Where as I should be heavy on the front![/quote]

I was exactly the same before doing my IAM training - no idea where it stems from? Maybe it was instilled in me when I started riding a bike?

I had a couple of really nasty rear wheel skids due to heavy braking which was what prompted me to get it sorted.

2. Re: Locked up rear wheel 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikki
    [quote author=JonGeorge link=1349880138/7#7 date=1349881957][quote author=Nikki link=1349880138/5#5 date=1349881769][quote author=JonGeorge link=1349880138/0#0 date=1349880138]Ooops, I managed to lock the rear wheel up on the way home. Almost as frightening as when I hit gravel coming out of a bend... I don't think I'll be using my rear brake again ...any tips? I'm sure I wasnt pressing the too hard?
    I think it stems form driving a car ie pressing down hard on the pedal without realising it to stop quickly.

I used to do it quite a lot, including locking my wheel up, but since doing my IAM training I've learnt to use the front brake much more and very little back brake.

It took me a while to get my head around that but I'd find some safe space off the road and have a go at just using your front brake so that you get a feel for it and see how hard you brake with the front brake staying in control and stopping safely using that.

Trouble is its not something you can practice on the road but that's certainly what helped me.[/quote]

I feel more confortable using the rear I have no idea why? Maybe it does stem from driving and its an automatic reaction? It's not the first time I locked the rear up, I find I do it in a panic aswell. Where as I should be heavy on the front![/quote]

I was exactly the same before doing my IAM training - no idea where it stems from? Maybe it was instilled in me when I started riding a bike?

I had a couple of really nasty rear wheel skids due to heavy braking which was what prompted me to get it sorted.

[/quote]

I'm in the same boat, today was one of the worst experiences I've had, it was snaking towards a parked car! Time to discipline myself!

3. Re: Locked up rear wheel 
    Quote Originally Posted by JonGeorge
    [quote author=Nikki link=1349880138/10#10 date=1349882251][quote author=JonGeorge link=1349880138/7#7 date=1349881957][quote author=Nikki link=1349880138/5#5 date=1349881769][quote author=JonGeorge link=1349880138/0#0 date=1349880138]Ooops, I managed to lock the rear wheel up on the way home. Almost as frightening as when I hit gravel coming out of a bend... I don't think I'll be using my rear brake again ...any tips? I'm sure I wasnt pressing the too hard?

[/quote]

I'm in the same boat, today was one of the worst experiences I've had, it was snaking towards a parked car! Time to discipline myself![/quote]

Ever thought about some advanced rider training? It has helped me a huge amount and I can honestly say I enjoy riding more as a result.

4. Re: Locked up rear wheel 
    Jon did you ever ride motorcross or green lane, when I first started road riding I was terrible for it, biggest fears were the front wheel locking and sliding, didn't care aboyt the rear so much and as was ended up like yourself in all sorts of bother locking rears for fun,
    Your confidence in your front will grow an come in time, they really do plant themselves hard, (all about physics and rolling resistance versus gyroscopes) I'm sure by now you've seen stoppies and the like, if the traction wasn't there then they would be almost impossible to do,
    Front brake then gentle on the rear once transfer has occured otherwise like me you will be on to hard and lock up as the front digs in,
    As already said above also good throttle control will see you around more bends than the brakes, both together correctly= harmony........... And remember ...... You never run out of road........ Just ability, the roads been there years and will carry on forever :-/

5. Re: Locked up rear wheel 
    Platinum Member
    I don't think I'll be using my rear brake again
    No don't do that !!!
    I locked up my rear wheel when someone pulled out on me and got into the habit of not using my rear brake.
    In some situations it's not the safest thing to go for the front brake.

Get some training and sort it out before you get into bad habits.
    You could try one of these days for only £99
    http://www.motorcycledirect.co.uk/my...stle-combe.php

6. Re: Locked up rear wheel 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikki
    [quote author=JonGeorge link=1349880138/11#11 date=1349882423][quote author=Nikki link=1349880138/10#10 date=1349882251][quote author=JonGeorge link=1349880138/7#7 date=1349881957][quote author=Nikki link=1349880138/5#5 date=1349881769][quote author=JonGeorge link=1349880138/0#0 date=1349880138]Ooops, I managed to lock the rear wheel up on the way home. Almost as frightening as when I hit gravel coming out of a bend... I don't think I'll be using my rear brake again ...any tips? I'm sure I wasnt pressing the too hard?

[/quote]

I'm in the same boat, today was one of the worst experiences I've had, it was snaking towards a parked car! Time to discipline myself![/quote]

Ever thought about some advanced rider training? It has helped me a huge amount and I can honestly say I enjoy riding more as a result.
    [/quote]

I forgot to mention I've been riding a month, I think I can nip it in the bud (Hopefully) if not I'll take your advice and go back to school! Sad should of paid more attention! Tongue

7. Re: Locked up rear wheel 
    Quote Originally Posted by RobGoozee
    Jon did you ever ride motorcross or green lane, when I first started road riding I was terrible for it, biggest fears were the front wheel locking and sliding, didn't care aboyt the rear so much and as was ended up like yourself in all sorts of bother locking rears for fun,
    Your confidence in your front will grow an come in time, they really do plant themselves hard, (all about physics and rolling resistance versus gyroscopes) I'm sure by now you've seen stoppies and the like, if the traction wasn't there then they would be almost impossible to do,
    Front brake then gentle on the rear once transfer has occured otherwise like me you will be on to hard and lock up as the front digs in,
    As already said above also good throttle control will see you around more bends than the brakes, both together correctly= harmony........... And remember ...... You never run out of road........ Just ability, the roads been there years and will carry on forever :-/
    No I've never had a bike before the sv650, and thanks for the advice and tips much appreciated!!

8. Re: Locked up rear wheel 
    Banned
    I'd much rather lock the rear than the front
    If you've only been riding a month then you're still learning, don't be to heavy on yourself just get out there and practice, take things steady and you shouldn't need to brake hard.

Just remember to treat every car driver as a complete idiot that hasn't seen you, most of the time you'll be right :

9. Re: Locked up rear wheel 
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny
    I'd much rather lock the rear than the front
    If you've only been riding a month then you're still learning, don't be to heavy on yourself just get out there and practice, take things steady and you shouldn't need to brake hard.

Just remember to treat every car driver as a complete idiot that hasn't seen you, most of the time you'll be right :

Thanks mate, trying to get the miles on the bike still and yes a high percentage of drivers are unaware!

10. Re: Locked up rear wheel 
    I was taught that the front is to stop and the rear is to stabilize the bike. In the wet I would agree more to the 50/50. Confidence will come from experience. Hang on in there.
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.