Notices

Thread: Locked up rear wheel

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Locked up rear wheel 
    Ooops, I managed to lock the rear wheel up on the way home. Almost as frightening as when I hit gravel coming out of a bend... I don't think I'll be using my rear brake again ...any tips? I'm sure I wasnt pressing the too hard?

2. Re: Locked up rear wheel 
    Brake before the bend using the front brake most. Accelerate through the bend and the bike will be more stable.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

3. Re: Locked up rear wheel 
    Cheers, Think I've been using the rear too much!

4. Re: Locked up rear wheel 
    always be gentle using the rear, its best used upright and in straight lines , under harsh braking weight usually transfers forwards hence the lock up, other tip is don't panic if happens, the rear wheel is attached so will nearly always end up following the front eventually, just hang on for the ride till it gets there .......... Sideways can be fun but is normally pretty scary when it flips back into line

5. Re: Locked up rear wheel 
    Banned
    I use my rear quite a lot especially when I have the gf on the back, makes for much smoother braking.
    How are your tyres?? If they are very old they could have hardened off thus giving you less grip. How was the road, any wet leaves, diesel spills etc?

6. Re: Locked up rear wheel 
    Quote Originally Posted by JonGeorge
    Ooops, I managed to lock the rear wheel up on the way home. Almost as frightening as when I hit gravel coming out of a bend... I don't think I'll be using my rear brake again ...any tips? I'm sure I wasnt pressing the too hard?
    I think it often stems from driving a car ie pressing down hard on the pedal without realising it to stop quickly.

I used to do it quite a lot, including locking my wheel up, but since doing my IAM training I've learnt to use the front brake much more and very little back brake.

It took me a while to get my head around that but I'd find some safe space off the road and have a go at just using your front brake so that you get a feel for it and see how hard you can brake with the front brake staying in control and stopping safely using that.

Trouble is its not something you can practice on the road but that's certainly what helped me.

7. Re: Locked up rear wheel 
    New Bridgestone batalax on front and rear, the road was wet. I probably use the rear far too much, they say 50/50 in wet conditions?

8. Re: Locked up rear wheel 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikki
    [quote author=JonGeorge link=1349880138/0#0 date=1349880138]Ooops, I managed to lock the rear wheel up on the way home. Almost as frightening as when I hit gravel coming out of a bend... I don't think I'll be using my rear brake again ...any tips? I'm sure I wasnt pressing the too hard?
    I think it stems form driving a car ie pressing down hard on the pedal without realising it to stop quickly.

I used to do it quite a lot, including locking my wheel up, but since doing my IAM training I've learnt to use the front brake much more and very little back brake.

It took me a while to get my head around that but I'd find some safe space off the road and have a go at just using your front brake so that you get a feel for it and see how hard you brake with the front brake staying in control and stopping safely using that.

Trouble is its not something you can practice on the road but that's certainly what helped me.[/quote]

I feel more confortable using the rear I have no idea why? Maybe it does stem from driving and its an automatic reaction? It's not the first time I locked the rear up, I find I do it in a panic aswell. Where as I should be heavy on the front!

9. Re: Locked up rear wheel 
    i hardly even use my back brake.........with a pillion it does make smoother braking

i use it when i really have to anchor up quick ;D

10. Re: Locked up rear wheel 
    Some riders never use it at all! Crazy lol