Quote Originally Posted by JonGeorge
[quote author=Nikki link=1349880138/5#5 date=1349881769][quote author=JonGeorge link=1349880138/0#0 date=1349880138]Ooops, I managed to lock the rear wheel up on the way home. Almost as frightening as when I hit gravel coming out of a bend... I don't think I'll be using my rear brake again ...any tips? I'm sure I wasnt pressing the too hard?
I think it stems form driving a car ie pressing down hard on the pedal without realising it to stop quickly.

I used to do it quite a lot, including locking my wheel up, but since doing my IAM training I've learnt to use the front brake much more and very little back brake.

It took me a while to get my head around that but I'd find some safe space off the road and have a go at just using your front brake so that you get a feel for it and see how hard you brake with the front brake staying in control and stopping safely using that.

Trouble is its not something you can practice on the road but that's certainly what helped me.[/quote]

I feel more confortable using the rear I have no idea why? Maybe it does stem from driving and its an automatic reaction? It's not the first time I locked the rear up, I find I do it in a panic aswell. Where as I should be heavy on the front![/quote]

I was exactly the same before doing my IAM training - no idea where it stems from? Maybe it was instilled in me when I started riding a bike?

I had a couple of really nasty rear wheel skids due to heavy braking which was what prompted me to get it sorted.