Notices

Thread: IAM - Opinion from people who haven't done it

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
  1. Re: IAM - Opinion from people who haven't done it 
    Can't be bothered. Simple as.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

2. Re: IAM - Opinion from people who haven't done it 
    What exactly do you get for it?

What do they teach you that they don't in your original test?

Where can i do it?

and

Can i use my own bike?

I haven't done it because this is the first time i've heard of it. I'm up for learning more stuff but i dont want to pay to hear all the same stuff i did 4 years ago when i did my test.

3. Re: IAM - Opinion from people who haven't done it 
    Platinum Member
    What exactly do you get for it?
    You get one-2-one coaching to Advanced level which follows the police riders system. You make a small £7-£10 contribution to your observer/tutor to help cover their petrol but you could be out for anything between 2-8 hours.
    You get a book (Roadcraft with Rospa, and the IAM book "How to be a better rider" with IAM).
    You get a test. Usually the examiners are police class 1.
    You get a certificate/qualification that you can use to ride the blood bike or potentially get a discount with your insurance company.
    You could get some on-going training e.g. most groups do slow riding training.
    Local groups also put on socials, talks, rideouts and sometimes foreign trips or visits. Rospa put on a tutorial session once a quarter and a talk every month (which may be car related as it's a joint group).
    With Rospa you get a re-test (and coaching) every 3 years for no additional cost (there are annual subs with both groups).

What do they teach you that they don't in your original test?
    It's a much higher standard.
    Have a browse through the book.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcycle-R...683&sr=8-1
    Using the whole of the road to position for safety, stabiity and view is a major topic. If you watch advanced riders they will be using the full width of the road and sometimes the other carriageway, but hopefully in a smooth manner.

Where can i do it?
    You are lucky to have a choice of 2 good and active local groups in Wiltshire.
    You can either do it with WABAM who are the local IAM group. They do their rides from the Little Chef, Chippenham and have their socials in Sutton Benger.
    Or North Wilts Rospa who hold their talks in Liddingon nr Junction 15.
    The actual rides start wherever you and your tutor agree which will be somewhere convenient between the two of you. I always start somewhere with facilities (like indoors) like a large Esso station. The start point may be different on each ride depending on what the lesson plan is.

Can i use my own bike?
    Yep, you need to supply your bike.

but i dont want to pay to hear all the same stuff i did 4 years ago when i did my test.
    At the Advanced level the priority is still on safety, but you are also expected to be able to progress where appropriate and position your bike advantageously in addition.

More info here:
    http://www.wabam.org.uk/web.htm
    http://northwiltsroadar.co.uk/

4. Re: IAM - Opinion from people who haven't done it 
    Thanks Ducatista, One more question and i dont mean this natsy i just want to know.

Who's getting rich off the £149?

5. Re: IAM - Opinion from people who haven't done it 
    I have done IAM many years ago, but I nearly didn't. Originally looking at doing it when I worked in Poole, I was allocated an observer to come and assess my riding. That observer followed me for roughly 10 miles, then said she would take the lead to 'show me' how to ride. If you want to get someone's back up right from the start, that's how to do it. On a couple of the points that I quizzed her on, she couldn't come back with a satisfactory answer. On one point, I asked her why she did something a certain way, pointing out there were better ways to do it. Her answer was, 'I can do that because I'm an advanced rider'. Without going into too much detail, that was total ****e. She simply couldn't answer why she did it that way. It was quite apparent that she'd learnt advanced riding from a book.

It was only bumping into Harold Wix of the local group, that convinced me otherwise. I did my training and test with him, and stuck to my normal style of riding. He was more than happy, and so was the examiner.

From my experience, there are certain observers that think they are above everyone else, and act with a 'know-it-all' attitude. The standard of observer is not constant. You might get a good one, you might get a bad one. One thing's for sure, no one know's it all, and we all have something to learn.

Without wanting to sound belittling, I don't think you get a good standard unless you're dealing with a professional, who teaches for a living. Fully qualified motorcycle instructors are governed by the DSA, have to complete several difficult tests, are monitored by the DSA on a regular basis, and teach day in, day out. You may think my opinion is biased, and you're probably right. But I used to encourage my ex-pupils to take the IAM test, and when quizzed, they would say they learnt more from us than they did from going with the IAM. And in fact, one ex-pupil asked his observer about counter-steering, only to be told he'd never heard of it...
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

6. Re: IAM - Opinion from people who haven't done it 
    Quote Originally Posted by House
    Thanks Ducatista, One more question and i dont mean this natsy i just want to know.

Hi.
    Try looking at www.iam.org.UK website. Click on Motorcycles and then click on The Advanced Programme. There you will see what the £139 IAM Skills for Life cost gives you. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    Ducati Diavel Dark

7. Re: IAM - Opinion from people who haven't done it 
    I'm sorry but for me the best way to improve any kind of riding or driving is firstly tackling attitudes and secondly by educating, I have luckily nearly every driving licence you could shake a stick at and use all on a regular basis, I pray for the day that will never come when all drivers or riders have to travel for a day in all forms of transport on the road, what a revelation that would be,
    Only when this happens will anyone be able to say they can fully understand what how and why things happen on the road,
    Only when the people telling you they know and are better have also spent time in someone else shoes will I really value their experience, Ironically I would and will always value their opinion as that they are fully entitled too.
    I'm with mark all the way DSA riding instruction with experienced riders would be more valuable to me, anything else is just learning someone else's bad habits.

8. Re: IAM - Opinion from people who haven't done it 
    Platinum Member
    It's £139 for as much training as you need plus test, plus book, plus annual fees for all the events I mentioned.

Most of that money goes to IAM nationally and not the local group. They have full time staff to pay who do policy & research, marketing, put adverts in MCN etc.
    I don't believe anyone is getting rich from that as they are a charity, but if you have an issue with that then you could consider the Rospa alternative which costs £25 in North Wilts including the book (that does not include the test fee).

If you want to do commercial training then that's great, do that. I've would recommend Rapid Training who are mainly Police Class 1 (or retired).