Notices

Thread: EU Gender Directive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. EU Gender Directive 
    Diamond Member
    I know this has been discussed before, but the implementation date is looming... see link:

http://www.confused.com/car-insuranc...ontent=October

The other thing that caught my attention was the date this comes into effect.... 21st December 2012. Wasn't this the date that the Mayan's predicted centuries ago would result in a worldwide cataclysmic event that would mean the end of the world? Maybe the two are linked ;D

2. Re: EU Gender Directive 
    Diamond Member

Call me cynical, but I'm sure the insurance companies will manage to make a bit more out of this change for them (as I would if I were them)

What I can't understand (in addition to algebra & woman) is why, under the new prices mentioned, is a 17-25 year old man still paying 16% more than a woman ?

G

3. Re: EU Gender Directive 
    Banned

In Papua New Guinea EU means arsehole ;D

4. Re: EU Gender Directive 
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry
    Call me cynical, but I'm sure the insurance companies will manage to make a bit more out of this change for them (as I would if I were them)
    Of course. They'll just up the women's prices to match the mens! They'll never reduce them :
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...

5. Re: EU Gender Directive 
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry

What I can't understand (in addition to algebra & woman) is why, under the new prices mentioned, is a 17-25 year old man still paying 16% more than a woman ?

G
    Not related to this topic I know but like the new pic Gerry !!! 8-)

6. Re: EU Gender Directive 
    Platinum Member
    It looks to me like they haven't done a "like for like" comparison but used averages.
    The average man is not the same as the average woman in many respects e.g. car choice, claims history.

So just as a rather frivolous example, most men wont drive a pink Corsa.
    So despite the fact that gender is not directly coming into the equation there are aspects of male/female behaviour that will cause higher premiums on average.
    Two specific examples I can think of are car choice and claims history and in both cases men will be more expensive.

If they did a "like for like" comparison e.g. man with pink Corsa and woman with pink Corsa with everything else being equal then the premiums should be the same.

But men/women are not the same on average (which to me makes a mockery of the ruling).

7. Re: EU Gender Directive 
    Ducatista, are you implying that both gay men and women (of either persuasion) should pay lower premiums? :-?
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

8. Re: EU Gender Directive 
    Diamond Member
    Ahh... I didn't think that through did I Lisa ! anyway, what's wrong with my pink Corsa
    ------------

Thanks Daddy Cool, can't wait for next season now [smiley=thumbup.gif]

9. Re: EU Gender Directive 
    Platinum Member
    :-X :-X :-X

10. Re: EU Gender Directive 
    Diamond Member
    My Corsa is pink! Well, it was red but its so old (like me) and doesn't get looked after (like me) that its virtually pink. Darn thing just won't die so I can buy something better and masculine ;D ;D ;D