Notices

Thread: Switchback led indicators rear and front

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Switchback led indicators rear and front 
    Looking for an electronics whizz to help wuith a new venture, its been done succesfully for cars but not bikes, I will bear out the expense but im trying to manufacture a new set of aftermarket indicators running lights, the idea being one to eliminate the need to stick aftermarket running lights all over your ride and destroying its lines,
    Switchback leds are reasonably new to the market and switch from a constant white or red light to flash amber, the idea is great i think, the white light really is bright and ran behind a clear indicator lens will look impressive as for the red its not too bright but certainly effective again behind a clear indicator lens will make a nice and subtle but effective addition, the both the red and white lights go out when indicating with a 2 second delay so there is no confusion........ what do think ????? worth trying????

2. Re: Switchback led indicators rear and front 
    are you talking about having red bulbs up front? isn't it illegal to display a red light at the front of a vehicle? as red normally denotes brakes
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

3. Re: Switchback led indicators rear and front 
    For tail lights this has been done for some time and you can buy kits. Have never seen it with headlights.

I suspect though that the MoT man may have a few things to say about the sidelights or headlights switching to indicate. I'd start by checking the rules.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

4. Re: Switchback led indicators rear and front 
    camera.op76
    illegal or unlawful? ;D

5. Re: Switchback led indicators rear and front 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RobGoozee
    Looking for an electronics whizz to help wuith a new venture, its been done succesfully for cars but not bikes, I will bear out the expense but im trying to manufacture a new set of aftermarket indicators running lights, the idea being one to eliminate the need to stick aftermarket running lights all over your ride and destroying its lines,
    Switchback leds are reasonably new to the market and switch from a constant white or red light to flash amber, the idea is great i think, the white light really is bright and ran behind a clear indicator lens will look impressive as for the red its not too bright but certainly effective again behind a clear indicator lens will make a nice and subtle but effective addition, the both the red and white lights go out when indicating with a 2 second delay so there is no confusion........ what do think ????? worth trying????
    Red only to the rear.......

I have a set of the rear type made by someone else ready to fit to my Beemer when I next get a chance. There are others already available for bikes - forget where I have seen them, on Youtube I think.

6. Re: Switchback led indicators rear and front 
    Makes no odds if you can't get a Mot......
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

7. Re: Switchback led indicators rear and front 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    Makes no odds if you can't get a Mot......
    Depends which ones you buy - some are legal, others aren't as far as vehicle regs are concerned but they don't test every part of the regs in the MOT. You can be illegal but still pass the MOT. The one's I have are E marked and therefore legal but they're combined indicator/brake LED's not running lights.

8. Re: Switchback led indicators rear and front 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RobGoozee
    worth trying????
    Yea definitely
    I'm well up for improving the visibility of my bike

9. Re: Switchback led indicators rear and front 
    i think you mis understand, the white lights run at the front, its illegal to show white light at the rear for obvious reasons, the rears run constant red only with side dipped headlamps on, both the white and red switch off when required to indicate and then change. the laws quite clear and very easy to comply with its all about luminance etc when youve finished indicating then the light after a 2 second delay will show either the prospective red/rear and white/front............ see clear as mud.

10. Re: Switchback led indicators rear and front 
    ah misunderstood cause you didn't explain red rear white front : have seen the rears before but the indicator bulb was tiny and easy to miss
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....