Notices

Thread: Age old Question of Insurance

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Age old Question of Insurance 
    Morning, finally getting somewhere with the royal mail insurance now so looking to get a new XJ6 Diversion.

Using these 'compare everything' insurance sites I’m getting quotes back for £800 for fully comp and £400 TPFT. I’m 26, have 3 points from an sp30 3 years ago, the royal mail accident 2 months back not at fault and 1 yrs NCB (had my full licence for just over 1 year now) and the bike will be kept on private property.

Do these quotes sound competitive? Anyone got recommendations of which company works well for them in terms of Price and service?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Re: Age old Question of Insurance 
    Platinum Member
    I am afraid you really do have to shop around.
    Your postcode and details will be different to everyone else's and what's good for one person's set of details does not mean the company is competitive in another postcode or scenario.

The easiest way to get a ball park is using comparison sites, although don't forget that some companies (often with "direct" in the name) do not use comparison sites.

Personally I have found Carole Nash to be good for me and they also include European breakdown cover so you don't need to buy AA/RAC.
    I also know they have a good reputation for service, so don't forget about that. Cheapest is not always best.

Also consider using a cashback site like quidco or topcashback, they take a while to pay out but if you're buying the insurance anyway then it's an extra bonus.

3. Re: Age old Question of Insurance 
    Platinum Member
    My 'non-fault' accident doubles my insurance, go figure? Have a look at H&R insurance, they came up cheapest for me, they are based in Scotchland though, so a massive language barrier

4. Re: Age old Question of Insurance 
    Platinum Member
    My 'non-fault' accident doubles my insurance, go figure
    Shop around.
    Not all insurers penalise you for non-fault claims.

When claiming make sure it is worth it in terms of increases in premiums for 3-5 years on ALL your motoring policies (a lot of us have cars/vans as well).

5. Re: Age old Question of Insurance 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch9128
    My 'non-fault' accident doubles my insurance, go figure? Have a look at H&R insurance, they came up cheapest for me, they are based in Scotchland though, so a massive language barrier
    H&R are awesome! !
    '12 NC700X

6. Re: Age old Question of Insurance 
    Thanks for the help guys. Will have a look at H&R!

They came back with £700 TPFT and £1500 FC.... :-/

One thing i have noticed - it makes no difference if i say i am IAM/ROSPA trained or have a bike safe cert....? :-? How does that work? (im not by the way but would like to do one of them early next year).

7. Re: Age old Question of Insurance 
    Bennetts was cheapest for me and bike safe got me a tiny reduction of £12 :-/ still £12 tho i suppose
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

8. Re: Age old Question of Insurance 
    Platinum Member
    it makes no difference if i say i am IAM/ROSPA trained or have a bike safe cert....?
    It certainly should on a lot of insurers.
    If you are seeing it making no difference to ALL insurers on a comparison site then that would suggest to me that the comparison site is not passing on the information (the software is not perfect).

On that subject make sure you check and double check all details to make sure they are correct.
    If you are going DIY and not taking advice from a broker then it's your responsibility to check.
    Even if the comparison site passes on incorrect information to the insurer it's still your responsibility to check it before you accept.
    It's better to spend 15 minutes now checking rather than finding a claim turned down or something bad later on.

9. Re: Age old Question of Insurance 
    I use eBike, I think they have a no claims accelerator too. Worth a look. They also discount for riding quals inc bike safe etc.

Stu
    Anyone fancy a pint?

10. Re: Age old Question of Insurance 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista
    it makes no difference if i say i am IAM/ROSPA trained or have a bike safe cert....?
    On that subject make sure you check and double check all details to make sure they are correct.
    If you are going DIY and not taking advice from a broker then it's your responsibility to check.
    Even if the comparison site passes on incorrect information to the insurer it's still your responsibility to check it before you accept.
    It's better to spend 15 minutes now checking rather than finding a claim turned down or something bad later on.
    Indeed - Even when speaking to people they never take the information down correctly so i always check when the paper work comes through. Iv had to send three different policys back to be amended because of this.

Will try ebike later then!