Notices

Thread: Getting Seen... are Aux / Fog lights a plus?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Getting Seen... are Aux / Fog lights a plus? 
    Splash
    I've just this minute watched 'War on Britain's Roads' highlighting the war between cyclist and vehicles on the roads of Britain. Link posted at the bottom should you want it.

Anyway, it made me think about motorcycling, I haven't been on the bike long compared to some and as I'm young I can generally be naive and feel invincible - I won't deny it. Apart from when I climb aboard my trusty Honda. It's like I'm a different person. I enter a 'mode'.

I've noticed that when I ride, I try to 'hang back' watch what everyone else is doing and commit myself to the road from there. Moving and riding so I'm almost consistently out the way yet in sight and in mind. As opposed to waving myself in front of traffic showing them I'm there and not moving, I'm a grumpy motorcyclist and don't give a toss.

Anyway, I do find however no matter how much you think in advance and ride in a prone and aware position road users still fail to see you. Which made me think I want to do something about it.

Recently I have been thinking about installing an Engine bar and adding Fog or Aux lights as I have read that these can and do increase visibility to other road users due to the three points oncoming as opposed to one.

I do pass a rather sexy GSA on my travels some mornings which has some Aux lights and It does draw attention, but then am I just looking at that because I'm a motorcyclist and always scanning for objects or because it is actually standing out?

I just wondered if anyone had not had and ridden without fog or Aux lights and then installed them and seen a difference with the reaction from road users.

I'd be interested to hear anyones experience on it!

Link should you want to watch it online:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ritains_Roads/

2. Re: Getting Seen... are Aux / Fog lights a plus? 
    Banned
    Aux lights are the way to go. I'm going to add some to mine, I want to be seen
    I saw a bike the other night that had a very dim headlamp, luckily for him I do a double check to look for bikes.
    I have a set of White Bikeviz bullet v2's for sale if you're interested
    http://www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk/cgi...1344273994/0#4

3. Re: Getting Seen... are Aux / Fog lights a plus? 
    Platinum Member
    I just replaced the 501 sidelight bulbs with some LED's, really stand out at the side of the dipped beam http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_tr...&_from=R40

4. Re: Getting Seen... are Aux / Fog lights a plus? 
    Diamond Member
    I have them on both bikes - fogs on the K bike and Aux lights on the GS. The Aux lights have a distinct horizontal cut off whereas the fogs are more diffuse. On the GS I have HID conversions for the Aux lights and the K bike they're halogen.

They make a huge difference in my view to visibility. I vary whether they are on or not though - they're never on at night unless there actually is poor visibility and during the day I tend to have them on when there's a low sun behind me. If I remember I also turn them off in town as they can glare when close up behind a car due to the bike's lights being that much higher.

I also have some Bikeviz bullet LED's but don't think they're that effective to be honest - just not enough power.

5. Re: Getting Seen... are Aux / Fog lights a plus? 
    Banned
    That cyclist program is great
    Reminds me of this

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpN4zoG2TiA[/media]

;D

6. Re: Getting Seen... are Aux / Fog lights a plus? 
    I seem to be noticed a little more since fitting my aux lights (bike vis Cree's)

7. Re: Getting Seen... are Aux / Fog lights a plus? 
    Splash
    Snowy,

So if I told you to pick either Fog or Aux what would you pick?

I have been looking at the Givi Trekker S310 Fogs, they seem to have good reviews and are halogen.

Or the Hawk fog light kit by Sw Motech :-?

Those Cree lights look pretty awesome too!

Shall I have them all? ;D ;D Then I could see 400 Miles... 8-)

8. Re: Getting Seen... are Aux / Fog lights a plus? 
    Banned
    Cree lights are the best

Have you looked at the bikeviz site?
    http://www.bikevis.com/

The bullets are very good, they aren't designed to light up the road they are designed to catch the drivers attention. I'd fit them to mine if I had a place to put them.

9. Re: Getting Seen... are Aux / Fog lights a plus? 
    Platinum Member
    Overkill, Splash does your bike have little 501 bulb sidelights? Then replace them with 501 cree off Ebay as i said oop there ^^ job jobbed for pennies, and no mods required.

10. Re: Getting Seen... are Aux / Fog lights a plus? 
    Splash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch9128
    Overkill, Splash does your bike have little 501 bulb sidelights? Then replace them with 501 cree off Ebay as i said oop there ^^ job jobbed for pennies, and no mods required.
    It doesn't mate Just a single central bulb