Notices

Thread: Bike Insurance Question

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: Bike Insurance Question 
    Dave
    Abigail won't be able to get insurance until she has a date for her mod2.
    I tried to get my Diversion insured so it could be delivered to my home so it would be ready for me to ride once I'd passed my mod2.
    I was told that they would only consider insurance once I had a mod2 date.
    The only option is to try and get it insured under her home insurance, (costly!) or for you to add it as a second bike so you can ride it.
    Mind it might well be worth talking to the insurance company as it was 3 years ago and they might have changed their policy.
    It's Lilac... not pink!

2. Re: Bike Insurance Question 
    Dave, if you just want to get it home, the easiest thing to do is borrow or rent a trailer or van for the day - that way it won't need taxing or insuring to be ridden, and your insurance won't cover you to ride it if it isn't comprehensively insured in its own right already (as alluded to in a previous reply).
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

3. Re: Bike Insurance Question 
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    Dave, if you just want to get it home, the easiest thing to do is borrow or rent a trailer or van for the day - that way it won't need taxing or insuring to be ridden, and your insurance won't cover you to ride it if it isn't comprehensively insured in its own right already (as alluded to in a previous reply).

I agree but whatever you do don't let it out of your site.

Someone I know did this when they bought a new bike for the same reasons. They travelled quite a way and decided to stop for a few minutes in a service station on the way home. They parked in full view of the window by the main building and by the time they'd left the car and trailer and got inside some low life had stolen the bike and trailer.

The Police were fairly certain they'd been followed from the dealers and never caught them and they had no insurance to claim on :'(

4. Re: Bike Insurance Question 
    Quote Originally Posted by NiteW4tcher
    huh.............a dealer can tax it under there own insurance!! every car or bike ive ever bought from a dealer, i have asked them to tax it. which they have done with no problems.

weird
    Not so weird...

You have been lucky as this is a very grey area for dealers and tax offices... I sell over 300 used bikes a year and the ones which need taxing generally cant be taxed on the traders policy anymore.

This prevents riders not having insurance.. The tax office will now generally ask for ID, Check the V5 and also the insurance is in the same name..

People were buying bikes which had just been taxed and then riding for a year without insurance...

DVLA dont however state this rule... Hence GREY area...

Weird = The fact people would ride the roads without insurance.... 8-)

5. Re: Bike Insurance Question 
    A valid point on the insurance side of things. Something I had completely overlooked.

Van hire it is then, costs as much to rent a van as the train was going to cost for me to get down there and collect it anyway. Now to find a rental company with some strapping and a ramp for the back to get the thing in and out with!

6. Re: Bike Insurance Question 
    Sorry to butt in,
    Im curious,
    does bike insurance not work like car insurance then when you can drive other cars as your policy covers you with the owners permission?

Or are you saying it only covers for 3rd party and not theft or anything that happens to the bike if you were riding it?

7. Re: Bike Insurance Question 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by A13X4ND7A
    Sorry to butt in,
    Im curious,
    does bike insurance not work like car insurance then when you can drive other cars as your policy covers you with the owners permission?

Or are you saying it only covers for 3rd party and not theft or anything that happens to the bike if you were riding it?
    If your licence/insurance allows it, you can drive another owners car/bike and have third party cover, provided that vehicle already has an appropriate insurance policy covering it in the owners name. If not, then your policy won't allow you to drive/ride it.

8. Re: Bike Insurance Question 
    oh Im with you now, I realise why people were saying not to ride it on own insurance - because it wont have insurance already /durgh/ oops sorry. having a dim day I think! :-X

9. Re: Bike Insurance Question 
    Dave, you might want to look at getting it added to your insurance anyway. if it's taxed, the DVLA require that it is also insured, and I don't know if 'laid up' cover counts. The only other option is to SORN it as soon as you get it home and cash in the tax the dealer put on it.
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...

10. Re: Bike Insurance Question 
    Diamond Member
    The bike can only be insured by its owner so the V5 has to be in the insured's name.