Notices

Thread: Riding in Europe, what legally do you require?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: Riding in Europe, what legally do you require? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Splash
    [quote author=matrix link=1360699475/5#5 date=1360701364]Probably not legally required but essential is good breakdown cover,travel insurance,medical card,spare fuses..
    Other than travel insurance which I have to do find, all done! Especially the fuses! Gone through so many on my bike already :/ [/quote]

You have an electrical fault somewhere if you're going through a lot of fuses. I would get that sorted as a priority before anything else.

2. Re: Riding in Europe, what legally do you require? 
    Splash,
    as yours is a newer motor you shouldn't have an issue with headlight tape.
    Headlight tape is mainly for older bikes where they used to fire high right or left depending on which side you drive. Manufacturers are now legally obliged to fit flat beamed headlights.
    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

http://tbex.co.uk/

3. Re: Riding in Europe, what legally do you require? 
    Traveled lot in Europe and never carried or even met anyone carrying a warning triangle on a bike.

4. Re: Riding in Europe, what legally do you require? 
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    [quote author=Splash link=1360699475/8#8 date=1360701872][quote author=matrix link=1360699475/5#5 date=1360701364]Probably not legally required but essential is good breakdown cover,travel insurance,medical card,spare fuses..
    Other than travel insurance which I have to do find, all done! Especially the fuses! Gone through so many on my bike already :/ [/quote]

You have an electrical fault somewhere if you're going through a lot of fuses. I would get that sorted as a priority before anything else.
    [/quote]

This was actually due to my stupidity... : Installing the givi tail lights... the RAC people LOVE me!

All sorted now though
    '12 NC700X

5. Re: Riding in Europe, what legally do you require? 
    Quote Originally Posted by dipple666
    Splash,
    Headlight tape is mainly for older bikes where they used to fire high right or left depending on which side you drive. Manufacturers are now legally obliged to fit flat beamed headlights.
    Cheers Dan - Very interesting and good to know for future ref, saves a lot of hassle!
    '12 NC700X

6. Re: Riding in Europe, what legally do you require? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonbaker
    Traveled lot in Europe and never carried or even met anyone carrying a warning triangle on a bike.
    Well that's that, thanks Dude! 8-)
    '12 NC700X

7. Re: Riding in Europe, what legally do you require? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dipple666
    Splash,
    Dan, I'm not sure this is correct. I agree that under the ECE standard which all manufacturers outside of the USA follow its a must that there's a distinct horizontal cutoff on dipped beam, but there's also the additional requirement that the lens sweeps up either to the left or to the right at the edge of the beam in order to illuminate roadsigns. Its because of this requirement that there are different versions of headlamps in use for L/H and R/H vehicles. On my bike as an example there is a completely different headlamp assembly for driving on the left or the right and the lens pattern is reversed. Its this sweep at the edge of the beam which produces glare if your on the "other" side of the road.

8. Re: Riding in Europe, what legally do you require? 
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    [quote author=dipple666 link=1360699475/11#11 date=1360703466]Splash,
    Dan, I'm not sure this is correct. I agree that under the ECE standard which all manufacturers outside of the USA follow its a must that there's a distinct horizontal cutoff on dipped beam, but there's also the additional requirement that the lens sweeps up either to the left or to the right at the edge of the beam in order to illuminate roadsigns. Its because of this requirement that there are different versions of headlamps in use for L/H and R/H vehicles. On my bike as an example there is a completely different headlamp assembly for driving on the left or the right and the lens pattern is reversed. Its this sweep at the edge of the beam which produces glare if your on the "other" side of the road. [/quote]

Just check with the manufacturer if your unsure or concerned.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

9. Re: Riding in Europe, what legally do you require? 
    Platinum Member
    Isn't it a requirement to have retro reflective helmet stickers on all sides in France?

10. Re: Riding in Europe, what legally do you require? 
    You need to wear a gimp mask 24/7. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.