Notices

Thread: EU Motorcycle Travel Insurance - Who do you use?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. EU Motorcycle Travel Insurance - Who do you use? 
    Who do you guys use when traveling abroad SPECIFICALLY on the bike?

I know some companies refuse liability and refuse to pay for medicals if you have had an accident on the motorbike...

1. BikeSure

8-)

'12 NC700X

2. Re: EU Motorcycle Travel Insurance - Who do you use? 
    I get mine through Carole Nash, I have car & bike through them and when my previous health travel insurer dropped the cc down to 125 I talked to CN and got what I needed. 8-)
    BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

3. Re: EU Motorcycle Travel Insurance - Who do you use? 
    Most policies will automatically cover you 3rd Party for up to 90 days overseas - if it doesn't it's usually quite cheap just to have your current insurer add it to your policy
    GPZ500S - oldie but still a goodie, just like me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Re: EU Motorcycle Travel Insurance - Who do you use? 
    Platinum Member
    I think there is some confusion here.
    I read it that you are talking about travel insurance specifically mentioning the medical part.
    Not insurance for your bike.

I use ACE Europe for my travel insrance and my business policy for medical cover does not exclude motorcyling.

5. Re: EU Motorcycle Travel Insurance - Who do you use? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista
    I think there is some confusion here.
    I read it that you are talking about travel insurance specifically mentioning the medical part.
    Not insurance for your bike.

I use ACE Europe for my travel insrance and my business policy for medical cover does not exclude motorcyling.
    Yeah it looks a bit confused.

Your insurer will typically [read the small print carefully] cover you for 29-90 days in the EU/EEA with third-party cover (or the equivalent minimum legal cover for the country you are in). If you want fully comp abroad you usually have a pay extra for it.

For travel insurance cover go with a company that covers 126cc +. Many companies don't cover above 125cc, but will tell you otherwise (tesco missold to me despite phoning, but did refund when I read the small print).

I use:

http://www.jsinsurance.co.uk/ usually, but google around for best prices.

Also note, if riding the nurburgring that neither your vehicle insurance or travel will extend to it in many cases, as it is a public road, and road racing is usually specifically excluded.

6. Re: EU Motorcycle Travel Insurance - Who do you use? 
    Yes Ducatista, you're spot on, it's travel insurance not Motorbike insurance

Thanks for the info both! 8-)
    '12 NC700X

7. Re: EU Motorcycle Travel Insurance - Who do you use? 
    I have worldwide travel insurance through Lloyds TSB bank account (premier) it costs of course, but for us the benefits far outweigh the cost. I had a look in the terms and conditions and it has a general section on exclusions which includes "the use of moped, motorcycle, car, van or similar unless a full UK licence is held permitting the use of such vehicles in the UK and in the case of a moped or motorcycle you and your passenger are wearing crash helmets". As I can see no other specific mention of motorcycles I take that to mean I am covered.
    Orange ones are faster, but red ones are more comfortable!

8. Re: EU Motorcycle Travel Insurance - Who do you use? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jed
    I have worldwide travel insurance through Lloyds TSB bank account (premier) it costs of course, but for us the benefits far outweigh the cost. I had a look in the terms and conditions and it has a general section on exclusions which includes "the use of moped, motorcycle, car, van or similar unless a full UK licence is held permitting the use of such vehicles in the UK and in the case of a moped or motorcycle you and your passenger are wearing crash helmets". As I can see no other specific mention of motorcycles I take that to mean I am covered.
    I would agree you are covered, 8-)
    '12 NC700X

9. Re: EU Motorcycle Travel Insurance - Who do you use? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Advrider
    [quote author=Jed link=1362748836/6#6 date=1362769302]I have worldwide travel insurance through Lloyds TSB bank account (premier) it costs of course, but for us the benefits far outweigh the cost. I had a look in the terms and conditions and it has a general section on exclusions which includes "the use of moped, motorcycle, car, van or similar unless a full UK licence is held permitting the use of such vehicles in the UK and in the case of a moped or motorcycle you and your passenger are wearing crash helmets". As I can see no other specific mention of motorcycles I take that to mean I am covered.
    I would agree you are covered, 8-)
    [/quote]
    Sounds alright, but check that if motorcycling your are covered for medical. Some one-size-fits-all travel insurance cover motorcycling but not in a medical capacity, meaning if you crash and get hurt you're going to have to make do with the cover provided by EHIC.

10. Re: EU Motorcycle Travel Insurance - Who do you use? 
    The policy covers medical, hospital, personal accident, etc etc. As always there are lots of conditions; although the ones I have read do seem fairly reasonable but there are no further specific exclusions. I might do a double check with them before our trip to Spain and France later this year but as it stands it seems pretty comprehensive.
    Orange ones are faster, but red ones are more comfortable!