Because it's not the first time I've seen newbies, or even non-newbies, comment on how unfriendly the place seems because certain people seem to have a 'less-than-helpful' nature about them.

Everybody is different, and I'm pretty sure the reason ask questions on here rather than go to google, is because they value the experience that people have on here. Whether you currently own a bike or not (kind of irrelevant to be honest).

When you 'sort out' those people and help them to understnd that if they want to be like that, they might be better off over on the MCN boards, then by all means I'll stop 'bitching' as you put it.

I've dealt with enough bullies in my time to know the best thing you can do is stand up to them and tell them politely to foxtrot oscar. And that is exactly how some people come across. Intimidating and arrogant. If that's the kind of forum you want, where people are scared to ask basic questions without having consulted google first, then fine. It never used to be like this.