Notices

Thread: Trailer Build

1. Trailer Build 
    Been looking for a bike trailer for a while now, eventually i found one just over the bridge in Chepstow, popped over with Longjohn and towed it back home (cheers mate [smiley=thumbsup.gif]). It was in a bit of a sorry state to say the least, but for £80 what did i expect :. Less than a mile went by, and the mudguard decided to part company with the chassis ;D, what had i done???
    Anyways, stripped it all back to a rolling chassis, removed all the loose paint and ground back, drilled out all the rusted fixings, so now the rebuild could begin.
    Replaced the main runner, which had been a piece of cable tray, with a new aluminium one, made from the edging of a tower scaffold platform,again sourced from Longjohn inc, cleaned and cut to suit, coupled with sections of checker plate ( cheers Fish [smiley=thumbsup.gif]) again cut and bolted together.
    Repainted the frame, blanked off existing holes and fitted end caps and anchor points. I had to make something to hold the front wheel on the frame from a piece of 10x25mm steel bar, bent to shape then painted, quite pleased with that effort, it turned out reasonably well .
    The rear steel tube for the number board was made from 40mm unistrut ive had knocking about the shed for a while, drilled and tapped to the main frame.
    Removed the wheels, cleaned off about 10yrs worth of axle grease from all the fittings, repainted and re fitted.
    Thats about it for now, I took it out today for its first tow, and at least it all stayed together this time , just got to sort out a few minor issues including the ramp, and we are good to go

original runner

the new runner edge before cleaning

making the front wheel brace

fitted!

And nearly done

2. Re: Trailer Build 
    Well worth the work. looks good. The next time I break down you can come collect me. ;D ;D ;D
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

3. Re: Trailer Build 
    Platinum Member
    Nice tidy job!
    www.shinybikesyndrome.co.uk - Protection through innovation

4. Re: Trailer Build 
    Quote Originally Posted by Conehead
    Well worth the work. looks good. The next time I break down you can come collect me. ;D ;D ;D
    No probs mate

5. Re: Trailer Build 
    Looking very nice

6. Re: Trailer Build 
    Looks very smart - they can be so useful. I've hired one several times and toyed with the idea of buying one.