Notices

Thread: Fair weather riding

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. Re: Fair weather riding 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nooj
    A lot of my customers ride all year round, Debz (The Missus) used to as well before she started working from home and I've had a few years where my bike's been my only transport, it's just part how life's worked out. Very few of my customers would do it if there was a practical alternative though, same with myself and Debz.

But there's always a few that feel the need to boast about what stupidly cold temperatures they will ride in, same with supposedly high mileage riders. It's only attention seeking. The REAL all weather and high mileage bikers just get on with it.
    Agree, I only ride for pleasure but that does include cold and wet weather if I feel so inclined. I don't manage to get enough miles/time on the bike full stop and if I confine it to only dry, sunny days then no chance. I've a few bikes that are 'keepers' (not valuable to anyone apart from me) that I prefer not to subject to rain, salt and the crap our roads can throw at them but a couple of others that I don't mind taking out. Had a great couple of hours today blatting around country lanes, no one around, and negotiating mud, gravel, floods was really challenging and great fun. Quick hose down of the bike (and my textiles) when I got home and ready for the next blast, maybe that will be warm and dry 8-)

2. Re: Fair weather riding 
    I ride for fun, not because I have to. Ride all year around as I think you are apt t o'go off the boil' with anything you don't do regularly. Don't mind the cold or the rain, just no fun

Saying that, whenever I absolutely have to ride because my normally utterly faithful Rover diesel has broken it has been utter sh**e weather I have had to ride in

Forget the argurments of 'my Micra costs less to run than my Fireblade' - remember the speed your bike is capable of and it's 0-60 vs your car, be sensible, find a car that offers the same performance then see what MPG that will do, and what it costs per year to tax. You could ride a 100mpg bike and have £15 a year tax if you went for a YBR125 or similar. YBRs don't destroy tyres, chains or sprockets at the same rate either

Consumers drive the market, if we all wanted economy the bikes to do the job would be there. It's odd how things haven't moved on, my 1958 Lambretta was capable of over 100 mpg (admittedly it wouldn't keep up with my Street Triple..!) Mike has a 1952 AJS 500 single that will do well into 60 MPG all day

3. Re: Fair weather riding 
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie_S
    I think you are apt t o'go off the boil' with anything you don't do regularly.
    Crikey. Looks like bike riding is the least of my worries :-[

4. Re: Fair weather riding 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    [quote author=Julie_S link=1363078411/41#41 date=1363560172] I think you are apt t o'go off the boil' with anything you don't do regularly.
    Crikey. Looks like bike riding is the least of my worries :-[[/quote]

;D ;D ;D

5. Re: Fair weather riding 
    Banned
    Had a fantastic ride to Glastonbury, Wells, Cheddar on Sunday, lovely and sunny 8-)
    Biggest surprise was the lack of bike out there.
    Get out on your bikes

6. Re: Fair weather riding 
    Would have loved to get out yesterday, but it snowed for seven hours here which kinda took the edge off it a bit
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen