Notices

Thread: Fair weather riding

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Re: Fair weather riding 
    Quote Originally Posted by monday21
    [quote author=majodude link=1363078411/12#12 date=1363115307]The weather is not the issue for me, I ride when I want and don't ride when i don't want to, simples!!

Although I very rarely not want to when it's bright and sunny, and often don't want to when its wet and cold.... ;D

+1

I personally don’t subscribe to this ‘fair weather biker’ biking snobbery.

To me whatever you ride or whenever you ride, “We are all in it together”

: :P [/quote]

+1
    i agree as and when i want to is the rule for me

I have a bmw 3 year old 520d and never seen 60mpg the best ive seen is 42 mpg on motorway and 38-36 round town, road tax is 185 for 12 month,
    and with diesel costing more than petrol i dont see that using a bike is any worse on running cost,
    the bike i have is showing 38mpg ,

However there are cars that will do the stated 60+mpg and no road tax, but i guess it depends if you like the type cars that do it ..

just seen the stats you give for a 320d is for a brand new car, but i doubt you will see the stated 60mpg, however how many have the option to get a new car to do this ?

this is only my opinion and no criticism to any one on this forum
    There are 2 new posts since your last visit. (You have read 3 of these posts.)

2. Re: Fair weather riding 
    Always a contenious issue! I have been there, done that and got the tee shirt so to speak. However, I now am in the fortunate position of being able to choose what mode of transport I use. I ride at any time of year; when I want to, when I don't want to I use the car. The weather/temperature is one but not the only factor in that choice. I think it is a case of each to their own, when you only have a bike there is no choice, when you have a car also; well you do have a choice. Biking is supposed to be about freedom, in my case freedom to choose when I want enjoy the ride whether it's dry, wet, hot or cold.

As has been said earlier this is only my opinion, others of course will have theirs which may well be different! 8-)
    Orange ones are faster, but red ones are more comfortable!

3. Re: Fair weather riding 
    Whilst I dont agree with Wiltshire Bikers figures I do agree with what he's saying.

Ignoring extremes I do struggle to see how it actually saves money commuting on a bike unless you have a particularly cheap bike to run, it saves huge amounts on parking, or your car is expensive to run.

My commute is on foot which is cheaper than the bike and car.

As for riding the bike its my hobby and I can do it when I want to. I actually quite enjoy wrapping up and going out all weathers but I wouldnt feel the same if I had to commute on it for sure.

4. Re: Fair weather riding 
    Banned
    I saw a weather report yesterday that said it was going to stay cold until the middle of next month

5. Re: Fair weather riding 
    Well in that case I'm staying sewn into these here long johns till spring, no point in taking the summer bath early and risking influenza!!! ;D ;D ;D
    A few good men wisely led, will beat an Army without a head.

6. Re: Fair weather riding 
    Quote Originally Posted by majodude
    The weather is not the issue for me, I ride when I want and don't ride when i don't want to, simples!!

Although I very rarely not want to when it's bright and sunny, and often don't want to when its wet and cold.... ;D
    Well until recently i only had the bike so had no choice at all had to brave it no matter what the weather was

7. Re: Fair weather riding 
    Hats off too ya! I may have to invest in heated grips!!!
    A few good men wisely led, will beat an Army without a head.

8. Re: Fair weather riding 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky
    My commute is on foot which is cheaper than the bike and car.
    Not if you wear £1500 jimmychoo shoes each day that then break after 2 months solid use and give you bunions ;D

Everything is as cheap as you make it. I chopped in my 52 plate 2.0 TDCI mondeo 18 months ago and started riding an old CBR600 still doing the same journeys to and from works and to meetings and then also for fun at weekends. Riding a bike instead of being in the mondeo saves me nearly £120 on average taking into account weekend fun riding also! For me the bike is a viable and very economical mode of transport and is way more fun even in rubbish weather 8-)

9. Re: Fair weather riding 
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosbie
    [quote author=Nicky link=1363078411/22#22 date=1363192568]My commute is on foot which is cheaper than the bike and car.
    Not if you wear £1500 jimmychoo shoes each day that then break after 2 months solid use and give you bunions ;D

....[/quote]

Very good point but I dont (dont have bunions either) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

10. Re: Fair weather riding 
    Was lovely this morning. Looking foward to the ride home in the sunshine.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"