Notices

Thread: Fair weather riding

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Fair weather riding 
    Platinum Member
    I ride all year round - I enjoy it whatever the weather.
    The right clothing makes a big difference!

I am 'as hard as nails' in relation to the weather as I used to work outdoors in all weathers knocking trees down e.t.c. - I have been out all day at -5 on my own in the middle of a forest and you learn that the right clothing is essential to survival.

You will find that if you keep your core warm your extremities will remain bareable

2. Re: Fair weather riding 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    [quote author=dan_geoghegan link=1363078411/7#7 date=1363091933]It always makes me laugh when the term "fair weather rider" is used.
    If you have to ride out of necessity then I feel sorry for you.
    As a mode of transport bikes are pretty crap.
    You get cold, wet, can't carry much and are vulnerable to other road users. Not to mention the damage the winter causes the bike.
    Anyone who says that winter riding is as enjoyable as summer riding is obviously not making the most out of their riding experience.
    Is a good mode of transport. Cheap fuel and tax. Carrying luggage is easy (
    apart from the very large) and as to the damage, well that depends on the care you take.

Don't forget free and easy parking !

As to the expierence, depends what you want to get out of it so please do not pass judgement.[/quote]

3. Re: Fair weather riding 
    The weather is not the issue for me, I ride when I want and don't ride when i don't want to, simples!!

Although I very rarely not want to when it's bright and sunny, and often don't want to when its wet and cold.... ;D
    A few good men wisely led, will beat an Army without a head.

4. Re: Fair weather riding 
    Normaly Im not so fussed about the weather unless its un ride able, although the wind is my main put off. If the suns out and the wind is unbearable i tend to turn around and wait a couple days
    If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40.

5. Re: Fair weather riding 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by majodude
    The weather is not the issue for me, I ride when I want and don't ride when i don't want to, simples!!

Although I very rarely not want to when it's bright and sunny, and often don't want to when its wet and cold.... ;D

+1

I personally don’t subscribe to this ‘fair weather biker’ biking snobbery.

To me whatever you ride or whenever you ride, “We are all in it together”

: :P

6. Re: Fair weather riding 
    Platinum Member
    Agree with Jon and Ken about not being judgemental.

I suffer from Reynaulds syndrome which is a problem with the circulation in my hands, luckily I can afford to have heated grips/gloves and decent gear, but I can understand how it must get more difficult as you get older.

I like keeping up my riding standards all year round, but it does require some effort to keep your bike in decent nick when there is salt everywhere.

If someone just wants to ride in the nice weather then apart from safety conerns (we can't always forecast it precisely) then I think it's up to them.

I only go Scuba diving in nice warm tropical waters because it's a hobby, but I like to do some training in poor conditions so that I know I could cope.

My only concern about fair weather riders is not being safe if weather changes (and confidence can play a big part in how safe you are).

7. Re: Fair weather riding 
    You should ride when you want, where you want and with whom you want. I've had some of the best rideouts in winter, I am not interested in finding my bikes limits, they are far enough away from my own to be safe, I would run out of talent long before they are reached!!! ;D

Enjoy your bike however you enjoy it, whatever makes you happy! There's enough S@&T out there already. 8-)
    A few good men wisely led, will beat an Army without a head.

8. Re: Fair weather riding 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W

Is a good mode of transport. Cheap fuel and tax.
    Really? I didn't know that as bikers we were entitled to cheaper fuel. All these years I've been paying the same as car drivers. ;D

If you're talking about fuel economy then you couldn't be more wrong. Bikes are light years behind cars when it comes to emissions and economy.

An average car e.g. bmw 320d will do around 60 mpg, road tax £30 per year
    An average bike e.g. cbr 600 will do around 40 mpg, road tax £76 per year

There are cars now that are so economical that they don't pay road tax.

If you then factor in passengers the cost of running a car compared to a bike per head is not even comparable.

Which is why I ride my bike for fun, not the inconvenience.

9. Re: Fair weather riding 
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    [quote author=Jon_W link=1363078411/9#9 date=1363102490]

Is a good mode of transport. Cheap fuel and tax.
    Really? I didn't know that as bikers we were entitled to cheaper fuel. All these years I've been paying the same as car drivers. ;D

If you're talking about fuel economy then you couldn't be more wrong. Bikes are light years behind cars when it comes to emissions and economy.

An average car e.g. bmw 320d will do around 60 mpg, road tax £30 per year
    An average bike e.g. cbr 600 will do around 40 mpg, road tax £76 per year

There are cars now that are so economical that they don't pay road tax.

If you then factor in passengers the cost of running a car compared to a bike per head is not even comparable.

Which is why I ride my bike for fun, not the inconvenience.[/quote]

If you've got a CBR 600 you've been paying the wrong tax too it's £55 for 12 months, £30.25 for 6 months.

10. Re: Fair weather riding 
    My street triple does a good 60+ mpg when I'm not thrashing it, so as a commuter it'd be great
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers