Notices

Thread: Fair weather riding

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Fair weather riding 
    Never been a fair weather rider, have always braved the elements of the London weather.
    When i move down to Wiltshire (next week ) i will be using the misses pug 107 (as she has treated herself to a nice new 13 plate Clio) to commute to London for work.
    Going to miss riding the bike everyday but the weather the last two days has been insanely cold.
    I can now see after the last 2 days why some people only fair weather ride

2. Re: Fair weather riding 
    I did years of insisting on riding through all seasons because "I'm an all-weather biker" but the last couple I've decided to leave the bike inside unless it's nice weather (don't mind the cold too much as long as it's not 0 or below). Happy to be a fair weather rider now
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

3. Re: Fair weather riding 
    I have to confess I've stopped the last couple of days. Too cold and I've got the remnents of a chest infection.

Don't see the hassle of riding all year. Just a question of buying tghe right clothes and not moaning about the weather.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

4. Re: Fair weather riding 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    I have to confess I've stopped the last couple of days. Too cold and I've got the remnents of a chest infection.

Don't see the hassle of riding all year. Just a question of buying tghe right clothes and not moaning about the weather.
    Very true, just my hands are the main problem no matter what gloves or under gloves i buy i get cold hands :'(

5. Re: Fair weather riding 
    With me it's alway the feet.... but I find that if my body and legs are warm the extremeties fair a lot better.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

6. Re: Fair weather riding 
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSquidbeak
    Very true, just my hands are the main problem no matter what gloves or under gloves i buy i get cold hands :'(
    Same here. My ride into work is only 25 mins but that is long enough at the moment to have sore fingers. But i also have to get to meetings all over which can be 2 hours away (doing my best to get out of those currently) I have literally just purchased these - http://2wheeljunkie.co.uk/motorcycle...rod_29300.html

Will see if they make a difference. Will be purchasing heated grips for next year most definetely. The rain doesnt bother me, just temperatures below 0

7. Re: Fair weather riding 
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosbie
    [quote author=MrSquidbeak link=1363078411/3#3 date=1363089311]Very true, just my hands are the main problem no matter what gloves or under gloves i buy i get cold hands :'(
    Same here. My ride into work is only 25 mins but that is long enough at the moment to have sore fingers. But i also have to get to meetings all over which can be 2 hours away (doing my best to get out of those currently) I have literally just purchased these - http://2wheeljunkie.co.uk/motorcycle...rod_29300.html

Will see if they make a difference. Will be purchasing heated grips for next year most definetely. The rain doesnt bother me, just temperatures below 0[/quote]

Heated grips are certainly one of the best things I've ever put on my bike.

I thought about it for ages and ages couldnt really see they'd work but my Oxford ones are absolutely fantastic and I really am a wimp when it comes to the cold.

I think anyone who commutes/rides regularly in the winter/cold without them is very brave

8. Re: Fair weather riding 
    It always makes me laugh when the term "fair weather rider" is used.
    If you have to ride out of necessity then I feel sorry for you.
    As a mode of transport bikes are pretty crap.
    You get cold, wet, can't carry much and are vulnerable to other road users. Not to mention the damage the winter causes the bike.
    Anyone who says that winter riding is as enjoyable as summer riding is obviously not making the most out of their riding experience.

9. Re: Fair weather riding 
    We certainly feel the cold now. If we go out on the bike we prefer if it's dry on the way but don't care what it does on the way home.

Last Saturday I just felt the need to take the bike out for a tootle

10. Re: Fair weather riding 
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    It always makes me laugh when the term "fair weather rider" is used.
    If you have to ride out of necessity then I feel sorry for you.
    As a mode of transport bikes are pretty crap.
    You get cold, wet, can't carry much and are vulnerable to other road users. Not to mention the damage the winter causes the bike.
    Anyone who says that winter riding is as enjoyable as summer riding is obviously not making the most out of their riding experience.
    Is a good mode of transport. Cheap fuel and tax. Carrying luggage is easy (apart from the very large) and as to the damage, well that depends on the care you take.

As to the expierence, depends what you want to get out of it so please do not pass judgement.