Notices

Thread: Can you get obsessed with too much training?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Re: Can you get obsessed with too much training? 
    Diamond Member
    As per other annual threads on similar subjects, once you get a number of different but still valid points of view, the overall content of the thread takes on a much more subjective tone.

So, Nicky, how will you be presenting this to your OH? ;D ;D Will you let us know?

Maybe some people just want to be left to make their own choices in life without being told,pressured or made to feel uneasy about their own decisions - I know when I was a smoker, everytime my mum told me to quit I got rankled and ended up smoking more. As soon as she quit moaning about it - I quit. Logical no, understandable yes...maybe....well just me perhaps ;D

2. Re: Can you get obsessed with too much training? 
    Platinum Member
    On here the IAM and ROSPA trained riders can come across as being a bit smug and holier than thou and their view shouldn't be questioned.
    That's a great shame if it comes across that way.

The best riders know they have more to learn.
    The official roadcraft view is very flexible and not hard and fast.

I haven't met many smug types in person, but I agree things don't always come across well on forums.

I think anything can be unhealthy if it gets obsessive but having a keen interest in Road safety can't be put in the same bracket as too much drinking/smoking/gambling in my view.

Personally I think the day I think I'm good enough and stop wanting to learn is that day I should give up biking, but that's a personal view and not one I'd corner people in pubs about

3. Re: Can you get obsessed with too much training? 
    Diamond Member
    [/quote author=Ducatista] The best riders know they have more to learn.
    [/quote]

Thats not exclusive to Advanced riders - its a lifeskill and gets more pronounced with age

4. Re: Can you get obsessed with too much training? 
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme

So, Nicky, how will you be presenting this to your OH?
    I'd actually love him to do some advanced training and have no intention of giving up. But having been married to him for far too many years now I know that it takes time to get him to do anything I want him to do regardless of why. He's a stubborn git...but like most women I have my ways and havent failed yet ;D ;D

5. Re: Can you get obsessed with too much training? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky
    [quote author=BMWGraeme link=1364232783/20#20 date=1364293766]

So, Nicky, how will you be presenting this to your OH?
    I'd actually love him to do some advanced training and have no intention of giving up. But having been married to him for far too many years now I know that it takes time to get him to do anything I want him to do regardless of why. He's a stubborn git...but like most women I have my ways and havent failed yet ;D ;D
    [/quote]

Sorry to answer your question I wont - he needs no additional 'justification' not to do it and reading this he just might

6. Re: Can you get obsessed with too much training? 
    Platinum Member
    Thats not exclusive to Advanced riders
    Of course.
    I don't think anyone said it was so I'm not sure where this line of thought or impression comes from.
    I for one certainly do not believe IAM/ROSPA is the be all and end/all of training.
    I would like to do some more trackdays but unfortunately it's going to happen when I fit into my leathers again a timescale that I continually underestimate.

I'm sure some riders like yourself are very naturally talented and work a lot of it out for themselves with experience. I wasn't and needed quite a bit of help which I've obtained through a variety of sources - riding schools, Rapid training, track days and the voluntary sector.

I totally agree with you on the matter of personal choice, but that does include talking about advanced riding now and again (and to be honest once a year is not very much for a subject hundreds of bikers in the area feel life savingly passionate about).

but like most women I have my ways and havent failed yet
    :-X :-X :-X :-X
    Not much that can't be acheived with a cracking BJ

Damn it - didn't manage the :-X

7. Re: Can you get obsessed with too much training? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista

That is a very persuasive weapon in the armoury of the female.... doesn't always work mind you, but it gives pause for thought and can be effective if repeated...
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

8. Re: Can you get obsessed with too much training? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista
    Thats not exclusive to Advanced riders
    Of course.
    I don't think anyone said it was so I'm not sure where this line of thought or impression comes from.
    I wasn't referring to anything you said specifically, just generalising the point that with age, comes the realisation that the older we get, the less we know. My point is that this covers all walks of life and is a
    lifeskill that us oldies pick up with age

9. Re: Can you get obsessed with too much training? 
    [quote=Ducatista]
    but like most women I have my ways and havent failed yet
    :-X :-X :-X :-X
    He should be SO lucky ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

But if needs must : : ;D ;D ;D ;D

10. Re: Can you get obsessed with too much training? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    [quote author=Ducatista link=1364232783/25#25 date=1364297401]Not much that can't be acheived with a cracking BJ

That is a very persuasive weapon in the armoury of the female.... doesn't always work mind you, but it gives pause for thought and can be effective if repeated... [/quote]

: : : :