Notices

Thread: Can you get obsessed with too much training?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Can you get obsessed with too much training? 
    Was chatting with my OH about advanced training and he's convinced it's possible to get obsessed with bike training so much so that it detracts from the original reason you ride a bike.

Still havent persuaded him to do any advanced training though. :

I've done Bike Safe and IAM myself and am thinking of doing some more but started to wonder if he has a point even though I do feel I have gained a huge amount from it.

I'm convinced regular updates are a good thing as skills do go off, but when does it become too much/time to stop?

2. Re: Can you get obsessed with too much training? 
    Dont think so personally, but it depends what you are looking to get from your biking, if that blows your hair back so to speak, then fine, some enjoy trackdays or touring, its all part of the bigger picture

3. Re: Can you get obsessed with too much training? 
    Banned
    You might become too safe :-/

4. Re: Can you get obsessed with too much training? 
    Always a good thing to get an objective outsiders look at your riding. Makes you realise what bad habits are creeping into your riding. Even champs have have coaches.
    "the empty can rattles the most!"

https://www.facebook.com/neil.hudd

5. Re: Can you get obsessed with too much training? 
    As long as you are not training just for the sake of it do what you enjoy. If it floats your boat go with it. Your time, your choice enjoy 8-)

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

6. Re: Can you get obsessed with too much training? 
    Platinum Member
    he's convinced it's possible to get obsessed with bike training so much so that it detracts from the original reason you ride a bike.
    Personally I don't agree with him.

He seems to be saying that training and enjoyment are seperate and to me it's the complete opposite.

I'm not sure how you can be too safe.

Well trained riders know when it's safe to go fast, so don't confuse safety with restraint. Advanced groups teach progress but only appropriate progress i.e. when it's safe.

But everyone is free to do as they choose.

Those who are against it often have reasons - sometimes they are scared to do a test or don't want to listen/change or have a prejudice against people who do.

7. Re: Can you get obsessed with too much training? 
    If the training makes you feel safer, more relaxed and makes riding more enjoyable then it's got to be a good thing. When it doesn't then you probably have done enough training and just need to enjoy riding. I am going to do IAM or ROSPA but have yet to decide which.
    Orange ones are faster, but red ones are more comfortable!

8. Re: Can you get obsessed with too much training? 
    Platinum Member
    I am going to do IAM or ROSPA but have yet to decide which.
    Go along to some events, meet some people and see which suits you better.
    Both would welcome you.
    Have a look at their websites/newsletters/forums and see which offers events that you would like.
    Chcek out their offerings.

9. Re: Can you get obsessed with too much training? 
    I don't really agree but think I understand what your other half means. I've got a very good mate who has always been a biker since we were kids and has used his bikes as everyday transport for almost the last 30 years. He did his IAM test a few years back, achieved a very high mark then did advanced, then on to being an observer and recently completed his national observer badge. He's now looking at the 'masters' and it does seem to have become a bit of an obsesssion.
    He persuaded me to do IAM last year (also after 30+ years of riding) and although I found it very enjoyable and learnt quite a bit I've not really caught the bug. Will do advanced in a year or two but need to fit in around my other biking time.
    My mate analyses every ride, piece of road and feedback from his bike and sometimes I'm not sure he stands back from the detail. Mind you he loves the whole thing for him obviously an enjoyable obsession

10. Re: Can you get obsessed with too much training? 
    Diamond Member
    Its interesting how any mention on "Advanced Training" always ends up in the same debate that seems to happen on this forum at least annually ;D

If you enjoy training then do it.....its only for you and affects no one else. For what its worth I understand what your OH is saying. You can never make biking safe no matter how much you try and improve your own skills and certainly for me, part of the reason for riding bikes is to get a buz. If I worried myself about safety all the time I would lose the whole reason for doing it.

And I disagree with Ducatista in that I don't believe fast and safe riding is the exclusive preserve of IAM riders