Motorcycling is a high risk activity as we all know
I have a few hobbies that are inherently dangerous and yes I think it's partly the thrill that does attract us, but I would never undertake any of them without the proper epuipment, training and procedures.

I don't think many of us would dream of going sky diving or Scuba diving without proper backup equipment (spare parachute or spare regulator), proper training and proper procudures e.g. buddy system.

It does seem to me that because motorcycling is a very familiar day-to-day activity that we are complacent about it whereas most of us wouldn't dream of doing any equally (inherently) dangerous activities without the proper safeguards.

As for types of training, my personal (and many riders) bias towards the voluntary sector is mainly cost based. No-one has said it's the only way or the best way, but if you have limited funds (which most of us do) then it's certainly the best bang for your buck.

I would never do anything like scuba diving or sky diving or anything similar without training but I did just jump on a moped and ride on the roads without any training (none required in 1984) and ironically statistically the latter is far more dangerous.
So I do think it's interesting that our risk perception is out of kilter.

I used to be terrified of flying when the risks of death are 1 in 16 million and massively lower than motorcycling, but when I'm in a plane I'm not in control and on a motorbike I feel I'm in control and quite confident.

I think our risk perception is pretty screwed up.
Snakes on a plane - what are the chances?
I'm going diving with Sharks in April which most people would think is dangerous but I'm statistically more likely to be killed by a cow, toaster or champagne cork.