Notices

Thread: Visor water repellant

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Visor water repellant 
    Platinum Member
    I know it's a topic thats been done to death - but I wondered what everyone else has tried ?
    Has anyone found a magical substance?
    That
    1. Works - beads properly at lower speeds (20mph?)
    2. Lasts a long time?
    3. Doesn't damage the visor

I have tried using the following:-
    1. Bike it stuff - lasts about 35 seconds
    2. Mr Sheen - lasts longer but is silicon based and attracts dirt like flies to ****
    and also 'stars' at night.
    3. Genuine Shoei water repellant - didn't work at all
    4. My newest idea Grangers footwear proofer - the best by far but it is water based so it doesn't last very long.

I think anything that works needs to have some form of translucent clay & wax base so that it smooths out the surface of the polycarbonate shield and adds water repellency at the same time?

Any ideas greatly appreciated - I'm sick and tired of using my glove every 40 seconds.

2. Re: Visor water repellant 
    Diamond Member
    I have tried various things which I can't remember the names of. The only thing I have found that actually works and lets water bead off is SDoc 100 plastic polish.

3. Re: Visor water repellant 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    I have tried various things which I can't remember the names of. The only thing I have found that actually works and lets water bead off is SDoc 100 plastic polish.
    Thanks Snowy - I'll give it a go (as it's driving me nuts at the moment)
    Cheers.

4. Re: Visor water repellant 
    Have you tried the pink stuff that the old boy at the bike show sells? ;D ;D ;D ;D

5. Re: Visor water repellant 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    Have you tried the pink stuff that the old boy at the bike show sells? ;D ;D ;D ;D
    No - what's it called - does it work? - Do you use it?
    How do you get it?

6. Re: Visor water repellant 
    It's the biggest rip off. I don't know what it is but I know it doesn't work!
    I thought everyone had fallen foul of him at some point.
    I normally use rain-ex

7. Re: Visor water repellant 
    Platinum Member
    It's the biggest rip off. I don't know what it is but I know it doesn't work!
    I normally use rain-ex
    Thanks Wiltshire Builders.

Ive tried Rain-ex (not the pure one - the one with the in-built cleaner) it doesn't work but I might try the pure stuff now.
    I know that rain-ex is not meant to be used with polycarbonates (as it makes visors brittle) but hey if it works I will be happy.
    Has anyone used Salclear? - does it work?

8. Re: Visor water repellant 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabb
    [quote author=dan_geoghegan link=1363033429/5#5 date=1363036362]It's the biggest rip off. I don't know what it is but I know it doesn't work!
    I normally use rain-ex

Ive tried Rain-ex (not the pure one - the one with the in-built cleaner) it doesn't work but I might try the pure stuff now.
    I know that rain-ex is not meant to be used with polycarbonates (as it makes visors brittle) but hey if it works I will be happy.
    Has anyone used Salclear? - does it work?[/quote]

I don't know if it does or not but I wouldn't advocate anything that causes your visor to become brittle

9. Re: Visor water repellant 
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    [quote author=Rabb link=1363033429/6#6 date=1363038169][quote author=dan_geoghegan link=1363033429/5#5 date=1363036362]It's the biggest rip off. I don't know what it is but I know it doesn't work!
    I normally use rain-ex

I don't know if it does or not but I wouldn't advocate anything that causes your visor to become brittle [/quote]
    Didn't know that. I'd better find something else

10. Re: Visor water repellant 
    Platinum Member
    [quote author=BMWGraeme link=1363033429/7#7 date=1363039402][quote author=Rabb link=1363033429/6#6 date=1363038169][quote author=dan_geoghegan link=1363033429/5#5 date=1363036362]It's the biggest rip off. I don't know what it is but I know it doesn't work!
    I normally use rain-ex

Verified by speaking with Shoei and Rain-ex tech men

I don't know if it does or not but I wouldn't advocate anything that causes your visor to become brittle [/quote]
    Didn't know that. I'd better find something else[/quote]