Notices

Thread: List of bikes with a low seat height NOT a cruiser

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. List of bikes with a low seat height NOT a cruiser 
    Hi all,

Well, I am looking for my next bike.

I have a bit of a problem.

I am extremely short at 5 foot 3 with an inside leg of 30 inches. I am having trouble finding a bike with a low seat height (including width of the bike).

The ninja 250r fitted ok but it wasnt ideal as I was on tip toes so, are there bikes around that are like the ninja but slightly smaller?

I dont like cruisers (the look of them).

I have been looking at a Honda MSX 125 but as someone memtioned it is rather slow. I passed my test to ride something bigger not smaller.

I am currently restricted to 33bhp until this September however, I can restrict the bike which isnt a problem.

If I can complie a list of bikes with low seat height (including the width) then I would be well away to finding the next bike.

I have been looking for weeks but cannot find a bike within a price bracket of £2000 but in September it would be £3500 to spend.

I dont mind waiting these extra months for the right bike as I dont drive so, will be riding everyday anyway.

Hugs and loves to all xxx

2. Re: List of bikes with a low seat height NOT a cruiser 
    Chatterbox
    Hi Maz,

Consider changing your approach to your next bike by spending a proportion of your next bike price on lowering the bike that you like. This will hugely increase the number of bikes you can consider owning.

There are a number of vertically challenged riders on WB.
    Jacde and Beamer have had their machines lowered and honed to suit them.
    Ducatista also I believe.

Or maybe buy an already lowered bike.

Drop them a PM, I'm sure they'll be delighted to share their experiences and modifications with you.

Everything else is shyte

3. Re: List of bikes with a low seat height NOT a cruiser 
    I dont know of any lists but if you have a bike in mind the MCN bike reviews online list bikes seat heights. I think some of the bike mags do too - Ride I think?

As a fellow vertically challenged biker the one thing I would say is dont exclude a bike based only on the listed seat height, bikes vary an awful lot in how well balanced they are and that can make a huge difference to how confident you are on the bike.

I know people do successfully lower bikes but they can be awful if its not done properly. I had one which had been lowered and it handled like a pig when compared to the same model which was standard.

4. Re: List of bikes with a low seat height NOT a cruiser 
    Thats my worry is lowering a bike and then it not handling well.

Some bikes I belive cant be lowered (according to some websites).

Thanks x

5. Re: List of bikes with a low seat height NOT a cruiser 
    hi my wife is 5ft with a 29inch inside leg and had a honda cbf600 2008, with a hagon custom made lowered shock and could ride with both feet flat on the ground, but she decided to by a harley instead, when the bike was sold i removed the rear shock, only did 70 miles , still have the shock .

6. Re: List of bikes with a low seat height NOT a cruiser 
    Hi,

My inside leg is only 29" and i ride a Kawasaki GPZ500s with no problems in getting my feet flat on the floor...
    GPZ500S - oldie but still a goodie, just like me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Re: List of bikes with a low seat height NOT a cruiser 
    brilliant!

What I get home tonight I will look on here and some websites more. I have looked at a cbr 600f on ebay and auto trader today. Will look more later.

Nick, I dont mind buying it off you if I buy one. If thats ok with you. I obvioulsy need to hunt around...

I will also look at the GPZ500...what year?

Thank you my lovilies...xx

8. Re: List of bikes with a low seat height NOT a cruiser 
    If it helps I'm 28'' inside leg and find my Suzuki GSXR 750 (which is the same as the 600) is perfect. Its very light which helps.

In the past bikes I've had which I've felt really comfortable with (height wise) including a Bandit 600 and 1200, Honda VTR1000 and Ducati ST2. The VTR1000 felt especially low.

9. Re: List of bikes with a low seat height NOT a cruiser 
    Being female and short and stumpy (I prefer to say vertically challenged) myself I can offer the following from my own experience....

Before I bought my first proper bike I sat on everything I could find until I found something I liked, then I looked at lowering it. There is also more than one way to get your feet on the ground - shocks can be lowered and seats can be altered or changed (for example, Bagster do a range of lowered seats). You can also look at your riding boots as I believe there are some ladies boots out there with super thick soles for us shorties

My first bike was a restricted ER6F which I swapped the seat for a lowered Bagster. Ive just traded this in for a Ducati Monster which only required the preload on the shock to be wound down a fraction for me to get my foot down.

My advice is to go for a bike you like, and then explore the options for lowering.

Ps - I happen to know that theres a pre-loved 33bhp restricted and lowered ER6f for sale at Riders in Bristol atm ;D

10. Re: List of bikes with a low seat height NOT a cruiser 
    oh, I will check that out!!! Hopefully its in my price range.