Notices

Thread: NOVEMBER 8th RIDE OUT - Remembrance Day Ride Out

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
  1. NOVEMBER 8th RIDE OUT - Remembrance Day Ride Out 
    ::UPDATE::

Firstly we need to make sure that we are at the memorial about 5 - 10 mins before 11am, I have tried to find information on services being held on Sunday, but I have not had a great deal of time, and couldn't find anything, although I do agree it's very likely the will be a pretty large on at Salisbury. Have found the one in Shaftesbury, so have agreed it's a better idea to ret there instead.

As you probably well know, my timing for arrivals isn't always that accurate, and from previous experience, if we leave the sally at 10am we meet up in warminster about 10:40 - 10:50, I still think that 10:20 - 10:30 pick up at Warminster should be fine though, but it won't be a stop, it will be a ride past and everyone joins in, cos if we stop it will 10 - 20 mins before we start again once we all said hi and had a smoke.

So the plan is (yeah I know, "Hunar has a plan, this can onyl go badly!&quot, we leave the sally dead on 9:45 (we won't wait so make sure you're there), ride to warminster, DON'T STOP and the people there merge in with the ride, carry on to the war memorial, where we be placing the wreath and a having a minutes silence (or is it two minutes? I have heard people mentioning both), after that Jaydee mentioned a cafe close by we can visit for some hot food and drinks, then I thought a brisk round trip back to the sally via salisbury and devizes.

will add this to the main post!
    Don't get confused between my personality and my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are...

2. Re: NOVEMBER 8th RIDE OUT - Compton Abbas air field 
    Platinum Member
    I can't come on 15th so would prefer to stick with 8th.

Some people might not want to do zig zag hill so we could split and go two ways so that folks are not put off.

If we are having lunch then we need to ring the airfield and book in when we know the date.

3. Re: NOVEMBER 8th RIDE OUT - Compton Abbas air field 
    Platinum Member
    I'm looking OK for Suns 8th or 15th whichever turns out to be the date.

Went up Zig Zag Hill last Sunday for 1st time on WABAM Weymouth ride out...took one corner a little fast!! ... so going down ZZ Hill on the Nov09 ride-out should be interesting !!.

Adrian

4. Re: NOVEMBER 8th RIDE OUT - Compton Abbas air field 
    Quote Originally Posted by HensonA
    I'm looking OK for Suns 8th or 15th whichever turns out to be the date.

Went up Zig Zag Hill last Sunday for 1st time on WABAM Weymouth ride out...took one corner a little fast!! ... so going down ZZ Hill on the Nov09 ride-out should be interesting !!.

Adrian
    I have actually never been to zig zag hill, so I don't know which direction it runs going up or down. If coming in from the salisbury side means we go up hill, then we may well go that way and a shorter run home afterwards, personally I would prefer to do the run uphill.

Opinions always welcome
    Don't get confused between my personality and my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are...

5. Re: NOVEMBER 8th RIDE OUT - Compton Abbas air field 
    Diamond Member
    Out of Shaftsbury heading on the B3081 via Cann Common turn left just after the car garage then up Zig Zag. Then towards Ashmore on to Fontmell Magna back towards Compton Abbas.

Or in reverse head straight toward Compton Abbas on the A350 then on to Fontmell Abbas, Ashmore then down Zig Zag Hill.

Either way Zig Zag makes an interesting ride [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

6. Re: NOVEMBER 8th RIDE OUT - Compton Abbas air field 
    Zig Zag hill is fun

See here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVRbE...eature=related

An believe me, those bends are sharper than they look.

Is great fun though.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

7. Re: NOVEMBER 8th RIDE OUT - Compton Abbas air field 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista
    I can't come on 15th so would prefer to stick with 8th.

Some people might not want to do zig zag hill so we could split and go two ways so that folks are not put off.

If we are having lunch then we need to ring the airfield and book in when we know the date.
    I would be up for the ride out but zig zag hill does put me off a bit, if theres an alternative route then that would be great.
    :-[

8. Re: NOVEMBER 8th RIDE OUT - Compton Abbas air field 
    Quote Originally Posted by swarwick
    [quote author=HensonA link=1256115998/0#2 date=1256120831]I'm looking OK for Suns 8th or 15th whichever turns out to be the date.

Adrian
    I have actually never been to zig zag hill, so I don't know which direction it runs going up or down. If coming in from the salisbury side means we go up hill, then we may well go that way and a shorter run home afterwards, personally I would prefer to do the run uphill.

Opinions always welcome[/quote]

Like Adrian, I went up it for the first time on the WaBAM rideout and it was good fun! As long as you take it steady its fine - I've never leaned the bike over so far in first gear ;D Uphill is definately the easier option I would think which means on the way to the airfield.

It is very close to Compton Abbas airfield (between there and Shaftesbury) so to be honest it doesn't matter which way you head there. As mentioned before, you can choose to stay on the B3081 (by turning left off of it before you get to Melbury Abbas!) to go up ZZH and approach the airfield from one end of the runway or carry straight on and approach the airfield from the other end.

9. Re: NOVEMBER 8th RIDE OUT - Compton Abbas air field 
    My last KTM supermoto was ace for zig zag hill but its too tight to have much fun on with bigger bikes and the surface is a bit arse too. The roads leading to it over the top of the hill / valley are fantastic and recently resurfaced so its worth a day out.

Make sure you book with compton abbas too I turned up with about 10 mates and they got very angry that we wanted breakfast... I mean how dare we!

What meeting places are you planning, if any along the way? I am free both days and im probably best to meet you at the airfield for a coffee as I dont live out your way yet.

10. Re: NOVEMBER 8th RIDE OUT - Compton Abbas air field 
    Platinum Member
    BTW - 15th is the WABAM rideout day (3rd Sunday of the month).
    There is a resaonable cross over of members these days, so I don't think this is a particularly good day to pick as an alternative because it will be stopping some people going on both rides and depleting one or the other rides.