Notices

Thread: Llandow 2012 - Round 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Llandow 2012 - Round 2 
    Well, what a day that was! A day of two halves weather-wise, whilst most of Southern England was scorchio, the Severn crossing heralded a sudden change to wetness (welcome to Wales). The forecasted wet start hung on until lunchtime so those of us with wets put them on to make the most of it and I have to admit that I've never had so much fun in the rain, helped by a grippy track I was getting my knee down which I'd never done previously, even when racing. It's a confidence thing, but wet tyres rock, oh yes!
    The sun put his hat on in the afternoon and the track soon dried, allowing everyone to enjoy themselves and fun was had 8-)
    Yesterday marked a first for the SWB annual day with an ambulance being called for Kelly (Dynasangel) after she crashed to avoid hitting an unexpectedly slow rider at the chicane, breaking her collarbone. Take it easy chick, you'll be fine for Oulton in October.
    We all had fun in the sun, with Gerry bringing the curtain down with a spot of drama on his new satsuma - I'll not steal his thunder, he can relate the tale of derring-do... Over to you Mr Simpson...
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

2. Re: Llandow 2012 - Round 2 
    Diamond Member
    A day of two halves for me too !
    Took my new love, a Tango orange GSXR750 which I bought last weekend (No.2 R6 no for sale) !
    Morning, weather crap, big vibration on bike, not 100% comfy on it and my helmet kept sliding to low so when I was bent over I could only see 15 feet in front :-/

Afternoon, Found that the tank was rubbing on the frame so with the help of Gaffa tape, washers (and Jaa's help) I tried a quick fix. Swapped the seat for the cut down one what came with the bike and as Caz's suggestion gaffa taped some padding into the top of my helmet.
    AMAZING... no vibration, the seat was tons better and I could see [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] the bike flew !!!
    Got quicker & quicker as the afternoon went on (OK... you can see it coming can't you) until the last session where I started out following Moo and despite my best efforts couldn't get around him all the session.

Last lap - approaching the last right hander and I remembered the wise words of an instructor was " you have to get out of your comfort zone" to improve !

I made a big effort to get on Moo's tail as he exited the bend and shot by him *
    Jubilant at taking the checkered flag in front I then realised that I was going to fast, on the wrong line around the bus stop chicane. Onto the grass (about 18&quot and bang, I was picking myself up with a thumpy head and my heart pounding as I did a quick audit of my arms & legs etc.
    Red flag and the marshal is telling me not to move and wait for the paramedic. A quick check over and I was good (ish) to go. Bike looked a little sad and twisted (like bike, like owner) ;D and I was back at the pits to my caring and concerned WB mates.

I'm not bad, feel a bit like I've had three rounds with Mike Tyson (and he won) but could have been worse. Bikes still on the van !

Pic of my new love (this side still looks the same)

* Moo claims that he was slowing down for the flag as I "had" him, but I like to think it was my "no guts - no glory" red mist moment that did the trick.
    MOO - thanks for not running me over [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Awesome day - loved it

3. Re: Llandow 2012 - Round 2 
    Glad to hear you're ok after your Basil moment Gerry, sounds like a good day apart from that!
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

4. Re: Llandow 2012 - Round 2 
    Diamond Member
    The rest of the gang...

They all did brilliant, Caz in her first (real) trackday was flying from her first session and cutting through the other Novices really great. Roxy, after a tentative start on Chappers "track based missile" started giving it some clog and getting the overtaking bug ! CharleyX & Star both got quicker & quicker as the day went on - great going both !
    Shammy666 was looking good in the Inters with the "blokes".

Scotty and Jaa and young Chappers were all doing good in the Fast group, loved Jaa's heroic breaking lol
    Naughty Flick was seen overtaking everybody apart from Viking in the Novices (shame on you Flick) until the organisers saw Vikings talent and moved him up into the Inters where he proceeded to show me how to do it !

Wes, in his first track day was flying and looking really good, quick & smooth. I'm sure we will see him again on track soon, and Moo (as you have read above) must have been going like a bomb as I couldn't pass him ;D

Finished the day off with a nice meal in Avebury.

As always, thanks to the brilliant members of WB for a great day.

G
    PS CharleyX I blame you - Witch Woman :-*

;D

5. Re: Llandow 2012 - Round 2 
    Gerry - your moment of glory was captured on film; Gav (Kelly's husband) filmed the final Inters session and your death or glory move was recorded for posterity - Have a look
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

6. Re: Llandow 2012 - Round 2 
    Ouch, hope Gerry and the satsuma are both ok
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

7. Re: Llandow 2012 - Round 2 
    Ouch that looks painful Gerry!
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

8. Re: Llandow 2012 - Round 2 
    Glad you're ok Gerry.
    "the empty can rattles the most!"

https://www.facebook.com/neil.hudd

9. Re: Llandow 2012 - Round 2 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    Gerry - your moment of glory was captured on film; Gav (Kelly's husband) filmed the final Inters session and your death or glory move was recorded for posterity - Have a look
    Cool ;D
    Although I would have prefered some nice close-up stills of me mid roly-poly, something that I've managed to avoid doing since I was at school lol
    Now I see why I ache so much :-/

" Death or Glory" I saw it more as a heroic last stand against overwhelming odds in the shape of a more talented Moo, by the young (OK, old) underdog [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

10. Re: Llandow 2012 - Round 2 
    Was a superb day, rain and sunshine to make it all the more interesting

Thanks to all that made the day so much fun