PDA

View Full Version : Typing

Burbler
05-08-18, 08:39 PM
Not toooo long ago, VERY few peeps could type (especially males).

That has been changed dramatically by computers.

I had some experience writing progs on old computers and using them for my life-long hobby.

Then I had a long time live in girly friend who had done a business degree and was a typing teacher. This quickly moved on to word processors and then computers. She was VERY good (and with a keyboard).

She told me that a good sign of improvement was operators making single-pair letters reversals. I.e. adn for and teh for the.

Recently I seem to be doing it all the time.

BB
05-08-18, 08:42 PM
I do teh quite a bit, always try to read before I hit post

DC
05-08-18, 09:47 PM
My Mum was trained years ago as a typist , she used to take down dictation in shorthand . She still takes great delight in telling me and anyone else who declares that they can type , that they ARE NOT typists , they have keyboard skills .:)

BB
05-08-18, 10:01 PM
I'm sure a lot of people don't have keyboard 'skills' just able to bang on a key and watch a screen!

Trev_P
06-08-18, 07:55 AM
my other half is a good touch typist, ie: she can read a paper page or listen via earphones while typing it out without looking at the screen or keyboard.
puts me to shame as after 25 years in I.T i still only 2 finger type although sometimes on a good day its 4 lol

Dazr
08-08-18, 08:42 PM
I am the same work in I.T. and only 2 finger typing.... tooooo old to retrain to touch type. :rolleyes:

Badger-Roy
08-08-18, 08:53 PM
I type with one index finger apart from I always use my thumb to poke the space bar, it's always worked for me so il not be relearning. I only use the iPad nowadays but I was the same when I used the laptop. If it works it don't need fixing ;).

Burbler
08-08-18, 09:08 PM
My forté was in numbers - touching 60 wpm.

Has anyone notices the differing layouts ?

Computer et al = 789-456-123

whiilst 'phone et al = 123-456-789

Burbler
08-08-18, 09:09 PM
The flying fingers write and having written, they move on.

BB
08-08-18, 10:39 PM
The flying fingers write and having written, they move on.

Now don't go getting religious on here :)