PDA

View Full Version : What are you watching? (Film fans)

GezTheHealer
08-07-18, 10:10 PM
Speaking to DC and Last Train today, thought I’d post some of my favourite films in the hope of getting some recommendations in return.

1.The Room -voted the worst film ever, very enjoyable, must have seen it at least ten times and always makes me laugh. Previous ‘worst ever film’ plan 9 from outer space was also fun, their homage films :ed wood and the disaster artist also worth watching and give a good idea from behind the camera.

2.the big lebowski, I like most all coen brothers films, their version of true grit was also great. Again, always makes me laugh.

3. Fear and loathing in Las Vegas, directed by terry Gillian of monty python, starring Johnny depp and based on the book by Hunter.s.thompson (who came to fame following his book about hells angels), mad film, needed to see several times &read the book just to make sense of what was going on. Intense.

4. This is England, directed by Shane meadows who I share with the home town of Nottingham. Brilliant follow up with all the tv series as well.

5. Wes Anderson’s the grand Budapest hotel, he’s as meticulous as Kubrick and it’s nice to watch a film which appears to have been crafted rather than ‘made’ very pretty. Also very consistent, enjoyed all his films.

6. Hot rod - how I expect my career would go if I also decided to become a motorcycle stuntman:not well. Very funny.

7. Anchorman - also silly fun.

8. Clerks - low budget with lots of swearing. If you’ve ever worked behind a counter it’s easy to relate.

9. Dredd 3D - much better than the Stallone one. Want a bike as mean as his!

10. Star Wars - given, I was named after luke skywalker.

would happily take any film recommendations, seen some bike based films: fastest Indian, easy rider, tt closer to the edge - was great in the cinema. Wild hogs was silly. The wild angels (1966) I recently saw because I liked the speech ‘we want to be free, to do what we want to do!’ But the films exploitative and a bit grim/greasy. I’ve ‘on any given sunday’ on the list to watch. Also recently seen loving Vincent, though I doubt I’m the target audience of the film, I got quite into it, looked amazing (every frame was hand painted). Also saw ‘detroit’ which was tough to watch, but good. Also ‘get out’ which I liked. Just watched ‘the little hours’ this evening, which had its moments with some mean witchy repressed nuns.

Badger-Roy
08-07-18, 10:23 PM
My favourite film is Shawn of the dead but iv watched the whole Cornetto trilogy about a dozen times.(Shawn of the dead, the worlds end and hot fuzz) Both simon Pegg and nick frost in particular are in my opinion comic geniuses. The 1st time I watched Paul I literally almost choked laughing when nick frost 1st saw Paul.

Badger-Roy
08-07-18, 10:30 PM
Wild hogs was silly.
Best wild hogs quote "I'm ok I just hurt my face", still makes me giggle thinking about it.

Burbler
08-07-18, 10:32 PM
African Queen - Bogart / Hepburn - END

Burbler
08-07-18, 10:34 PM
Maybe Strangelove ?

GezTheHealer
08-07-18, 10:41 PM
My favourite film is Shawn of the dead but iv watched the whole Cornetto trilogy about a dozen times.(Shawn of the dead, the worlds end and hot fuzz) Both simon Pegg and nick frost in particular are in my opinion comic geniuses. The 1st time I watched Paul I literally almost choked laughing when nick frost 1st saw Paul.

Also got the lot on DVD, great films, spaced was great too. Saw the new tomb raider last night, nick frost had a good cameo as a pawn shop owner. If you like this there is also from the same time ‘Garth marenghi’s dark place’and ‘stressed Eric’ which Mark heap voiced really well.

GezTheHealer
08-07-18, 10:42 PM
Maybe Strangelove ?

Seen strangelove, adding African queen to my list, cheers :)

Burbler
08-07-18, 10:46 PM
Seen strangelove, adding African queen to my list, cheers :)

Best film ever...without Madeline Smith

DC
14-10-18, 11:30 AM
Peter Jackson's up coming WW! documentary .

https://youtu.be/EHYRfukHToc

DC
14-10-18, 01:18 PM
Good to see Norton finding their feet .

https://youtu.be/vs1PtICKotc

Trev_P
14-10-18, 03:10 PM
this looks epic, they said it will be shown on TV soonish PVR's at the ready
amazing how they "colourised" it from B+W footage
i have great respect for all those that fought and died in WW1+2

Peter Jackson's up coming WW! documentary .

https://youtu.be/EHYRfukHToc

Trev_P
14-10-18, 03:20 PM
i have seen the "new" tomb raider, not convinced i have to say. not tha lara we all know and lust from the game lol
i think the first movie was better with jolie

hot fuzz has a lot of "if you are/were a copper" hits the nail on the head moments

i recently watched the reboot of Death Wish with Bruce Willis, while remembering the originals back in the 70's with charles bronson i was a bit dubious as most reboots are.........................! but it was quite good, with a nod to the original story

Also got the lot on DVD, great films, spaced was great too. Saw the new tomb raider last night, nick frost had a good cameo as a pawn shop owner. If you like this there is also from the same time ‘Garth marenghi’s dark place’and ‘stressed Eric’ which Mark heap voiced really well.

wiltshire builders
25-10-18, 07:42 AM
If you like "alternative" stuff, I recently watched Sorry to bother you.
It's about a cold caller who discovers he has the gift of the perfect voice for cold calling.......and then it gets weird as he uncovers a plot by big businesses to control the masses and even turn them into mutants to increase productivity.
I'm not saying it's great but it's certainly different.

GezTheHealer
28-10-18, 12:26 AM
I enjoyed the last man standing Bruce Willis remake film. Was just watching ‘last action hero’ this eve, which was good fun. Do enjoy alternative types of films. If your into them, the best ‘worst’ film, if you’ve not seen it, - ‘the room’ is a perfect storm of bad acting, poor script, shoddy sets and just too many awkward sex scenes. It sounds bad, but is brilliant fun to watch. Thanks for that. Will have to check out sorry to bother you

wiltshire builders
28-10-18, 01:10 PM
I enjoyed the last man standing Bruce Willis remake film. Was just watching ‘last action hero’ this eve, which was good fun. Do enjoy alternative types of films. If your into them, the best ‘worst’ film, if you’ve not seen it, - ‘the room’ is a perfect storm of bad acting, poor script, shoddy sets and just too many awkward sex scenes. It sounds bad, but is brilliant fun to watch. Thanks for that. Will have to check out sorry to bother you

Watched the Bruce Willis Die Hard on a plane last Friday. I liked it, especially the "tactical furniture"
I also watch The Last Movie Star" with Burt Reynolds.
It's a good idea and some good acting but the sentiment is lost in the delivery. It's as if the editor was told to chop 45 minutes off of the run time.

Trev_P
28-10-18, 03:27 PM
"Die Hard on a plane" is that the sequel to Die Hard with a Vengance :D:p

Watched the Bruce Willis Die Hard on a plane last Friday..

BB
28-10-18, 04:52 PM
Watched Hotel Transylvania yesterday, very entertaining and made us laugh out loud. :D

Last Train
28-10-18, 07:15 PM
https://youtu.be/ury9eoLnb-0

On Film 4 now :)

Burbler
28-10-18, 07:39 PM
https://pics.me.me/hello-my-name-is-inigo-montoya-you-killed-my-father-19424990.png

wiltshire builders
07-11-18, 11:40 PM
Bohemian Rhapsody
Really good film. Love or hate Queen, you can't deny they made some bangerz!

BB
13-11-18, 06:16 PM
Bohemian Rhapsody

Saw it today, really good. made me laugh, made me cry. Thoroughly enjoyed it. :cool:

Burbler
14-11-18, 12:51 PM
After much research (that's re SEARCH not REEEEEEsearch), I have reached the conclusion that the my last visit to a cinema was 'The Last Boy Scout (1995).

Mitch9128
14-11-18, 03:27 PM
Bohemian Rhapsody

Great film, despite never being a Queen fan, and also great to sit in comfort at Chippenham cinema, and no fusty smell :)

Wes
14-11-18, 05:35 PM
Just watched the 2013 version of Judge Dredd, better than the stallone one, definitely my sort of film

wiltshire builders
27-11-18, 02:24 PM
Watched sicario 2 on Sunday. Very good film.
American mercenary (Josh Brolin) is hired by American military official (Mathew Modine) to start in fighting amongst the cartels.
Brolin recruits an ex-lawyer turned vigilante (Benicio Del Toro) who has waged a 1 man war against the cartels after they murdered his family.
I've never been sure about Benicio Del Toro. It sometimes feels as though he's wandered onto a set and the director has thought "f#ck it, he'll do"
But in this he's excellent as everyone else and you will find yourself thinking "what's he been in?" Quite a lot.
It's a violent, thought provoking film so if that's your thing it's worth a watch.

Kevin
24-07-20, 08:45 PM
I should say, there are many good films mentioned here. Being on the quarantine, I installed Cinema HD (https://www.firesticktricks.com/cinema-apk-firestick.html) on Amazon FireTV in order to watch movies and tv shows. So, I was looking for the good films to watch in the evening, and found this topic. Thanks a lot, guys! And I want to add my two cents. I really liked Cold Mountain and Philadelphia (Tom Hanks is one of the best actors for me).

Last Train
24-07-20, 09:04 PM
I watched 3 Billboards on the box last Saturday.
I’d seen it at the flicks previously & loved it.
If you catch it, watch it :)

Trev
24-07-20, 10:04 PM
I watched 3 Billboards on the box last Saturday.
I’d seen it at the flicks previously & loved it.
If you catch it, watch it :)

+1

£ Billboards is one of the best films released in the last few years - IMHO. Superb performances from so many of the actors

Scotty
25-07-20, 08:52 AM
Film 4 have good films on at 21:00 normally and I scan the listings every week to select films to record. Some films haven't aged well at all; Funeral in Berlin was particularly dated and hard work to watch, despite being a "classic". 3 Billboards was excellent stuff, and last night we watched another all-time classic; the Blues Brothers.

"The new Oldsmobiles are in early this year"

Last Train
25-07-20, 09:57 AM
Me too Scotty,
What a great movie :cool:

Scotty
25-07-20, 03:37 PM
“Orange whip? Orange whip? Three orange whips...”

Quality film throughout :-)