PDA

View Full Version : I'm feeling robbed

Badger-Roy
22-06-18, 11:58 PM
Long story short a water pipe in my airing cupboard decided to start leaking badly this evening so I turned of the mains stopcock, well tried but joy of joys after years of never being used it decided to seize itself solid so out come my big wrench to help, big mistake it turns out as when the stopcock shears of its a really bad thing. As in a £290 emergency plumber bad thing plus soaked carpets etc. Anyway just needed to have a whinge. :(

Last Train
23-06-18, 06:56 AM
Kin cheers....

BB
23-06-18, 06:59 AM
Oh dear, sorry to hear that. Hopefully carpets should dry out ok and not too much damage.

Reminds me of the time a bedroom radiator 'came off in my hand' and I soaked Ghost from head to foot - along with carpet etc. and we then spent anxious days waiting to see if the downstairs lathe & plaster ceiling would stay up there or not :o (it did)

Burbler
23-06-18, 11:25 AM
Nasty...Just been down to check mine. Not been touched for 15 yrs but it works fine.

Trev_P
03-10-18, 07:39 AM
late i know but......a plumber mate of mine said a long time ago that if you get into the habit of turning your stopcocks fully off/on a few times a year it prevents seizing after i had a similar experience. since then i do what he said and have no issues since

Long story short a water pipe in my airing cupboard decided to start leaking badly this evening so I turned of the mains stopcock, well tried but joy of joys after years of never being used it decided to seize itself solid so out come my big wrench to help, big mistake it turns out as when the stopcock shears of its a really bad thing. As in a £290 emergency plumber bad thing plus soaked carpets etc. Anyway just needed to have a whinge. :(