PDA

View Full Version : New non transferable tax rules

Julie_S
29-12-14, 06:57 PM
This is driving me up the wall.

I taxed my Rover Mini on Oct 1st, I'd had the car for sale since the middle of September so wanted to keep it available for test drives. Anyway, sods law prevailing as usual I taxed it in the morning, about an hour later I get a call from a serious buyer from Bridgewater who arrives a little later and buys the car. Everything on the DVLA site tells me I need to do nothing, tax will be automatically refunded to me (but nothing on the site states how) I have now emailed DVLA 4 times, still have no refund and no answer as to why. Last I heard was 26 November they were sending my details to the department that deals with refunds, since then, nothing. Every time they've responded I have had to go through all my details again with them.

Now 10 weeks plus since I sold the car, I wonder if I could get away with not taxing something for the same amount of time? I doubt it

Has anyone had a refund yet under this new system? I am curious to find out how this works (for those lucky enough to have been refunded) or if everyone is in the same position

Sold my 675 Daytona today, it still has a couple of months tax on so I am going to get the old form from the Post Office and send it back the old fashioned way and see what happens

Swanny
29-12-14, 07:54 PM
Has anyone had a refund yet under this new system? I am curious to find out how this works (for those lucky enough to have been refunded) or if everyone is in the same position

It works in the DVLC's favor not ours.

Davezthomas
29-12-14, 07:56 PM
Other half traded her car I just after rules changed, refund was back in two weeks- gobsmacked

WhyNot
29-12-14, 10:13 PM
DVLA refunded my tax 8 weeks after the car was scrapped, did they back date it to the day it was declared scrap? Did they hell....

Republic
30-12-14, 05:25 PM
Vote for us and we will rip you off

Julie_S
02-01-15, 08:05 PM
Great. This is turning into an utter pain. Tried to get one of the old forms to return the Daytona's tax disc and was told my the post office that they are no longer available as 'tax is automatically refunded' I took umbrage at this and had to put the girl who served me straight, anyway this throws up another problem for all us hapless car/bike sellers - your refunded tax was always calculated from the date you posted the tax back so provided the post mark was prior to the last day of the month you got the full following month included in your refund. Given it has been in excess of 2 month since I sold my Mini will the include that amount? I seriously doubt it.

Bitching aside, what the hell is the point of this new ruling? they spent month harping on about ANPR technology meaning you no longer have to display a tax disc as they know if you are legal or not in respect of the most important obligation - insurance, so why can't you pass the tax on with a vehicle? It just smarts of profiteering on behalf of the DVLA

Dan
02-01-15, 08:36 PM
Have you phoned them? Always had quick responses whenever I've tried. It should go from the date you signed the vehicle over so I would really hope you got it backdated.

Burbler
04-02-15, 11:56 AM
Had to scrap my dear 21 y.o. car last week.
Sent the docs off to Swansea on Friday - refund arrived this morning. Suits me sir !

Toph
04-02-15, 07:37 PM
I sold my old Civic in December last year.. got a refund late January... refunds do get to you in the end..

But it is a pain in the arse that tax can't be kept on the car when sold.. bloody daft rule change IMHO.

Julie_S
04-02-15, 08:08 PM
Update:- I called the office and was told my cheque was processed on 6 Jan. 30 December I sold my red Daytona to Mike, he had his logbook back in a week. The day after I called DVLA I had my tax refund on the 'Tona. 3 days after that the tax for my Mini arrived - 3 months or so after I had sold it. Bizarrely they had raised it the same day as the cheque for the Daytona's tax yet they 3 days apart in the post

Still livid over this. I don't think I would have seen this had I not hassled them

There is absolutely no valid reason why tax cannot be sold with the car, ANPR would tell the police who the real bad boys are with no insurance or no licence

WhyNot
05-02-15, 11:49 AM
....... yet they 3 days apart in the post

Thats nothing, I had to send four log books off to have my home address changed - sent them all in the same envelope - received three back within two weeks and the final one took six weeks, when I rang to chase it they were completely baffled, obviously it had dropped behind someone desk or something.

Incidentally the log book that took 6 weeks was due to be scrapped, when I finally got my tax rebate back it was two months short, funny how that happened...........