PDA

View Full Version : New Transit Custom Limited

wiltshire builders
20-11-14, 11:33 PM
6 weeks ago I took delivery of my new van.
I'm very pleased with it and it's a pleasure to drive with the odd exception.
I find my standard of driving dropped considerably due to all the distractions in the van.
Having an electric gadget for every conceivable need is great but it's bloody distracting.
Nothing is straight forward.
Everytime I put the heater on the A/C comes on automatically. I'm told this de-mists the window quicker, but what if I just want to warm up? I have to take my eyes off the road, reach down and hit the button. As I'm not used to it this happens a lot.
Blue tooth is another thing. If I was driving my old van and I had a call I would pull over or wait until I got to the destination. Now I can talk hands free using the multi buttoned wheel. Distracting.
I've got different engine modes, gear change warnings, heated seats, parking sensors, door and seatbelt warning alarms. Distracting!
All of these things that are designed to make it easier actually detracts from the experience of driving and therefore causes the driver to lose focus and the ability to drive safely.
Keep in mind that this is only a van.
I can't imagine what the latest luxury motor from Deutschland has to offer.
My advice: if you see a new motor heading your way give it a wide berth. Especially if I'm behind the wheel!

WR6133
20-11-14, 11:39 PM
When I was doing deliveries it was noticeable that newer cars and vans drove in a way that appeared distracted like they were not paying attention to the road, too busy with the gadgets.

All them gadgets though did it come with the accessory a transit man needs the most..... spare wing mirrors? ;)

wheelers
21-11-14, 05:30 AM
our works has just got a new fiesta there are more controls for the music system, than my first vauxhall viva had altogether.
easy to have an accident as so many distractions, even arrows to tell you when to change gear.

Trev
21-11-14, 09:00 AM
Probably get pelters for this but I love the gadgets in the latest cars, mines not a latest Deutschland offering so goes a bit under the radar although probably has even more kit, particularly as I like to raid the options list ; )

Volvo's aim is zero accidents in one of their (new) cars by 2020 and of course safety kit is high on the list; City safe, pedestrian airbags, cameras that detect cyclists (and proper bikes), radar controlled cruise control, radar sideways scanning when reversing out into a road, parking sensors and cameras, blind spot radar, lane assist, monitoring and warning against drowsiness, queue assist to prevent low speed bumps in traffic.

Of course also has kick-ass Dolby 12 speaker Surround Sound stero with multiple inputs, internet connection (not while engine running), effective and easy to use sat nav, top spec security including tracker and emergency assist. Add in some bling wheels, silver faux aluminium bits and a bright red paint job and it even looks a tiny bit flash, in a Volvo sort of way of course ; )

Mustn't forget the most exclusive bit of the car - the 4M long cable in the boot to plug it into a power supply!

Wes
21-11-14, 03:54 PM
We have the transit customs at work, sounds like your spec is more top end than ours, only prob weve had was when one of the drivers opened the door, the wind caught it, and as the new doors open beyond the panel, not inside like the old ones, basically went straight into the front quarter, damaging it and the pillar so bad that we had to adjust the lock mech to be able to close the door. Also the tyres are £130 a pop as they are an new size that only a couple of manufacturers make.

wiltshire builders
21-11-14, 05:32 PM
Also the tyres are £130 a pop as they are an new size that only a couple of manufacturers make.

Eh?!!!!! THEY NEVER TOLD ME THAT WHEN I SIGNED ON THE DOTTED LINE!!!!!
Better keep the wheel spins and handbrake turns to a minimum.

wiltshire builders
21-11-14, 05:41 PM
Probably get pelters for this but I love the gadgets in the latest cars, mines not a latest Deutschland offering so goes a bit under the radar although probably has even more kit, particularly as I like to raid the options list ; )

Volvo's aim is zero accidents in one of their (new) cars by 2020 and of course safety kit is high on the list; City safe, pedestrian airbags, cameras that detect cyclists (and proper bikes), radar controlled cruise control, radar sideways scanning when reversing out into a road, parking sensors and cameras, blind spot radar, lane assist, monitoring and warning against drowsiness, queue assist to prevent low speed bumps in traffic.

Of course also has kick-ass Dolby 12 speaker Surround Sound stero with multiple inputs, internet connection (not while engine running), effective and easy to use sat nav, top spec security including tracker and emergency assist. Add in some bling wheels, silver faux aluminium bits and a bright red paint job and it even looks a tiny bit flash, in a Volvo sort of way of course ; )

Mustn't forget the most exclusive bit of the car - the 4M long cable in the boot to plug it into a power supply!

Don't get me wrong. I love the gadgets. If I'm working in the rain I just turn on the heated seats and I'm dry by the time I get home.
I just noticed a real decline in my concentration.

The trouble is that these days it's possible to write a relitively modern car off with an electrical problem.
One of the most comfortable cars I've been in was an S80. Ugly as sin but an amazing piece of kit.
If I was in the market for a 2nd hand motor I'd go Volvo everytime. The used prices are ridiculously cheap for what you get.

Trev
21-11-14, 09:20 PM
One of the most comfortable cars I've been in was an S80. Ugly as sin but an amazing piece of kit.
If I was in the market for a 2nd hand motor I'd go Volvo everytime. The used prices are ridiculously cheap for what you get.

Yup, residuals are terrible on the S80 and if you could find a fully loaded one and don't mind the dynamics or the lack of German badge then a fantastic car.

I had an XC70 for 3 years before this V60 and actually preferred it but personal tax saving on the V60 hybrid is huge and it handles and performs way better, I do miss the huge boot though. MY XC listed at shade over £47k in 2011 when I ordered it (told you I like the extras!) and the lease company offered it to me for £13,800 with 80k miles on it in September when the lease was up. Massive spec with every single extra you could get at the time (vented/heated/memory seats, sub woofer, power tailgate. 18 inch alloys, rood spoiler + all the security/drivers/lighting packs, etc and the Dolby 840w, 3 mode suspension ) 50mpg, £115 road tax and with 185bhp went okay as well, I was sooooo tempted but my missus didn't want it as her daily day driver saying it was too big, I don't think the Volvo zero street cred helped ; )