PDA

View Full Version : New girl

BB
05-03-06, 09:30 PM
Hi guys & gals.

I'm a long time female biker, 20+ years, mostly classic stuff but I strayed a bit in January this year when I bought something with lights and brakes, hence the name. Found this site via google and thought it looked like it could be interesting. I'm interested in all aspects of biking, on and off road, touring etc

R1chie
05-03-06, 10:18 PM
hello and welcome

RE03
05-03-06, 11:04 PM

I bought something with lights and brakes

Intregeuing........... :question ;)

Do you KNOW how long it took me to get the spelling of that right.............. :-[

R1chie
05-03-06, 11:13 PM
I bought something with lights and brakes

Intregeuing........... :question ;)

Do you KNOW how long it took me to get the spelling of that right.............. :-[

erm.... ;D

SkyJawa
05-03-06, 11:53 PM
Ey up! Welcome to the nut house ;D

Mac
06-03-06, 12:27 AM
...Speak for yourself Jawa..lol

Welcome Blackbonnie. Good to have another female join up.
Get some pics posted up of your ride.
Hope to meet you soon at our first of many ride outs...

Mac

Mac
06-03-06, 12:58 AM
Oh and whereabouts in Wilts are u from:?

Amante_271
06-03-06, 03:08 AM
Hi Sweetie!

Im just up the road and round the corner in Calne!

Amante_271
06-03-06, 03:14 AM
Ey up! Welcome to the nut house ;D

:o I dont Know what you mean Im Prefectly sane!!

Tho I was an out patient at Roundway Hospital quite a few years back!!! ::)

Nothing serious!! Honest! I was having Hypnotheropy for Claustrophobia & it didnt work! Freaky place tho!! :o :(

Dabz
06-03-06, 09:41 AM
welcome to the site, nice to have someone else that doesn't ride a sportsbike!

Scott_W
06-03-06, 10:01 AM
Hi and welcome to the site! :)

14-03-06, 08:08 PM
Hi guys & gals, Sorry for long time no reply but I've been off but I'm back again now! If anyone has ever ridden a 1949 AJS rigid single (no rude comments please ::)) they will know what the remarks about lights & brakes refers to!! Back in January I was blatting down to Bath from Trowbridge in the dark with a candle on the front, thinking to myself its just as well I know this road and I thought wouldn't it be nice to have something that does it all effortlessly, hence the bonny!

SkyJawa
14-03-06, 09:33 PM
LOL!!! :)

BB
14-03-06, 09:45 PM
Sometimes I feel the Bonnie does it all too effortlessly, years of riding the classic stuff with their little idiosyncrasies have taken their toll!

SkyJawa
14-03-06, 09:52 PM
Idiosyncrasies - things like starting the journey and not completing it?!??!?!!! :-X ::) ;D

BB
14-03-06, 10:07 PM
Czech republic & back on a 350 Ajay with only 1 breakdown and that was a flat tyre? :)

Of course, the lights never worked any step of the way... ;D

SkyJawa
14-03-06, 11:08 PM
Thats pretty darn good going :D LMAO@ the lights!

Amante_271
15-03-06, 08:42 AM
I presume the Bonnie isnt one of Meridans finest then! :'( ;D

Always had a soft spot for them as had a mate with a Swedish chop with a Bonnie engine ..... You got to hear the exaust, then see the front wheel, then 10mins after the rest of the bike!!! He let me ride it, totally awesome!!

I rode a Triumph Trident up the strip years ago. Norman Hyde 1000cc big bore kit fitted, then he added a turbo from the States! He got bored with the turbo lag so added Nitros! An air shifter was next as well as 18" extended swinging arm locked up solid! It was a case of 4000 revs, hit the horn button (NOs) then Good bye Sanity Hello Horizon!!! Mad but SOOOOOOOOOO much fun! :) :) :)

BB
15-03-06, 09:47 AM
No, don't get me wrong, the Bonnie is an excellent bike - does everything it says on the tin - to quote a well known advert. It's just, well, difficult to describe really. :-/ I think it's me not the bike. I'll eventually get used to pressing a button to fire up and having the capacity to blast past other vehicles without effort or thought etc.

I suppose I've spent too much time with the old stuff where the potential for uncertainties (will it start)lend a frission to your journey (will it keep going) and a sense of achievement (or relief) when you complete a lengthy trip (yeehah, we made it). :D

I mean, lets face it, a 100 miles on a modern bike is an afternoon ramble - so what? Foreign touring on a 50+ year old classic is an adventure!

Having re-read what I have just written I feel I must add that I'm not knocking modern bikes - or riders come to that! It's just my lifestyle and circumstances have dictated that I have come the long way round to modern machinery.

I do enjoy the Bonnie very much, I'm just still on a learning curve with it at the moment - just bear with me!! :)

JamesD
15-03-06, 02:56 PM
A warm welcome to a classical enthusiast, not had anthing in the 50+ age range but ridden some of the early Kawasaki Z bikes (which my Dad has several), was an eye opening experience compared with riding todays modern machines.

Dutch
15-03-06, 04:28 PM
My uncle loves all the old classics and does them up whenever he can find a little time away from the family.
I love old cars and would love to do one up but havent really delved into the classic bikes.
As you can tell from this question " what is a bonnie??"

SkyJawa
15-03-06, 05:52 PM
Triumph Bonneville.......

Amante_271
16-03-06, 08:22 AM
Hey Sweet heart! Dont put yourself down, theres enough buggers out there going to do that for you anyway! We all have to make changes and concessions to Old Father time at times.

The older bikes (&bikers?) have their own quirks & idosycincrasies but thats what divides them from the modern plastic rocketships of today that can have so little soul or character! Model A is different from model B by the fact theres an extra 1/2bhp at 1 zillion rpm or the exaust is oval rather than round etc. The old bikes talked to you and could be fixed with a piece of tin foil to mend a blown fuse for the 6volt lights on a dark night in the middle of bum f*ck nowhere! Yes this DID happen to me! You had to plan your braking as the drum brakes were never that wonderfull on a good day rather than now when you can crank a bike over before you hit the brakes... Dont get me started on tyres!!

There are definately 2 schools of bikes & bikers - Old and New! You sound like me with one foot in both camps! AND theres NOTHING wrong with that!!!

:)

BB
16-03-06, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the support - definatly the foot in both camps syndrome. I had to smile (at myself) when I read 'what is a bonnie?' - I simply often cannot tell the difference on the modern faired stuff - apart from colour!

Anyway, who said I was making concessions to old father time! I just bought the thing because I liked it when I rode it. I test rode a scarver and I was actually considering waiting until the MT03 came out ;D

Dabz
16-03-06, 02:19 PM
the father in law has a bonnie (not sure if I've already said or not)...lovely bike! he had a whole loads of extras fitted but has recently stripped them all off and it looks great!

BB
16-03-06, 03:16 PM
Assuming its a Hinckly Bonnie, what accessories & what is he doing with them? Is he thinking of selling any? I've been thinking about buying a summer screen, rack and centre stand?

Dabz
16-03-06, 05:31 PM
he had the screen, extra spotlights, loud pipes, triumph leather bags for the sides, sissy bar...all but the sissy bar are off now but I think he wants to keep hold of the bits for now in case he changes his mind again!

BB
16-03-06, 06:08 PM
Oh well, keep me in mind ;)