PDA

View Full Version : Hay There

Dutch
10-03-06, 02:06 PM
I am Andrew Holland and i have just bought my second bike, a Kawasaki Z750s in Candy Blue. Feels like it is going to be a goodun but still runnin' it in at the mo.
Thought i would see what everyone else does on their weekends and for riding out as i have only been riding since June 2005.
Also looking to get a rear hugger and wondering if anyone can help with getting one that looks good as well as does the job. ;)

How good do you have to be to go on the days out and what kind of riding style is normal (fast, fast as hell or faster than my bike??)
Will get some pictures of the bike this weekend and will put them on when i can.

SkyJawa
10-03-06, 02:10 PM
Welcome aboard Andrew :)

I've only been riding since Aug 05 (not counting 2 years on a 125 scooter :-[), had an FZ6 but just picked up my ZX6R. Fast as hell, but not the rider ;D

Scott_W
10-03-06, 02:17 PM
Hi Andrew,

Firstly, welcome to the board! Out of interest, how did you come across it?

Secondly, we've not done a group day out yet so I cannot comment on others riding skills, and to be honest, I would guess that we all range vastly in how confident we feel in going fast/safe/etc.... I know in the past when some of us have gone out for a ride (RVFBabe, SkyJawa, Gixer Paul, Iain and myself) we've all gone at our own pace. Iain and I feel comfortable going quicker than the other three and we will always find somewhere to slow down and wait for them to catch up as it's only fair.

We would also rather people go at their own pace than feel as though they need to prove something to everybody else and risk crashing as no-body wants that at the end of the day.

So ultimately, if you do come along for a ride with us all I'm sure there will be people who will be going at a similar pace to you.

I think SkyJawa might back me up on this, and possibly Gixer Paul, but group riding has definitely helped Neil (who also passed his test last year) as he can see what lines we take, etc... Plus, we have also given him some tips (i.e. I taught him how to counter steer and I think he's found this a great help).

However, if somebody can teach me to get my knee down I would appreciate it! ;) :D

If you are free this Sunday why not try and join the group heading up from the Swindon neck of the woods to Boxhill......

GIXER_PAUL
10-03-06, 02:18 PM
hello from up north, i have only been riding just over a year and i to dont really have the experience, but im sure when everyone is together nobody will feel left out :)

GIXER_PAUL
10-03-06, 02:20 PM
hey i was in foreign terrotory you bring your crew to my roads!!!!

only kidding big bro you would all still beat me lol

Scott_W
10-03-06, 02:22 PM
Lol @ Paul! Mate, some of those roads were foreign to us all! :)

BTW, Paul found out that he can scare himself silly whilst pulling an unintentional wheelie on one of our rides so I think he learnt something there! ;D

GIXER_PAUL
10-03-06, 02:25 PM
no no no no no you knew all those roads like the back off your hand (thats what the voice in my head says)
And the wheelie was purely for entertainment whilst you were coming off the island, see im thoughtful giving you something to look at.

Scott_W
10-03-06, 02:25 PM
;D

R1chie
10-03-06, 02:36 PM
welcome mate, glad to see another kwaka in the fold!

as usual (always get lumbered with this) i'll be organising some rideouts this year in and around the area with the possibility of longer trips (looking into a weekend in wales at the mo)

group riding is fine, and as scott mentioned, its a good way to hone your riding skills. and if you are out in a group which are fairly level headed, as this forum seems to have, any 'newbie' or inexperienced type riders would get a nominated person to shadow in case other peeps want to push on at stages. this is so you don't feel the pressure to push yourself too fast too soon to keep up with the others, which could end up in a whole world of pain.

once the weather sorts itself out, i've got a few good routes in the southern wiltshire/dorset way we can go on (did anyone mention Zig Zag Hill? :o). plus i'm sure poole quay and hunters lodges rideouts will appear soon enough as well.

enjoy the forum and the zed!! 8-)

Dutch
10-03-06, 02:38 PM
Welcome aboard Andrew :)

I've only been riding since Aug 05 (not counting 2 years on a 125 scooter :-[), had an FZ6 but just picked up my ZX6R. Fast as hell, but not the rider ;D

Wow, bike and a half. It is one of the ones i had a look at but insurance is through the roof. I still have loads and loads to learn and to get toghether with everyone would be great. Just have to pass it with the missus

Dutch
10-03-06, 02:44 PM
Thanks for all of the welcomes and support for coming along for a day out. Speed is one of the things i have been concerned with especially when i read through the list of bikes you all have. My Z750 is a whole let better than my CBF 600 but it still isnt a 600super.
Still running it in at the moment as well which is a right pain. The book says 500 miles at 4000rpm and 500miles at 6000rpm.
How important is it to stick to this???

Dutch
10-03-06, 02:48 PM
[quote author=Scott W link=1141995968/0#2 date=1141996622]Hi Andrew,

Firstly, welcome to the board! Out of interest, how did you come across it?

I was just on Google and trying to find some good routes that have already been tried and tested. It came up with the site and i um'd and r'd for a couple of days before joining. Only because i was concerned whether i would be too much of a beginner. I have lots of road experiance but in cars and not bikes so i know what prats to look out for in their cars but i still need to confidence in the bike to do what i would like to do. :)

Scott_W
10-03-06, 02:57 PM
Still running it in at the moment as well which is a right pain. The book says 500 miles at 4000rpm and 500miles at 6000rpm.
How important is it to stick to this???

I think this depends on who you speak to! I was told by my mechanic for my run in period (600 miles) to take it up to 7k (my redline is 14.5k or so) for the first 100 miles, and then increase the revs by 1k for the next 100 and so on. I have done this on two bikes and neither of them have missed a beat (touch wood).

Also, make sure you use the various gears for the run in and don't just stick to say 4k in top as this won't bed the engine as well. Best thing to do, just find a great road with lots of corners! :)

R1chie
10-03-06, 02:59 PM
p.s.

ref hugger..........have a look in the site discounts section for the intobikes thread. could prove a winner

if not, try www.mcnninjas.co.uk forum. there's always peeps flogging bits and pieces on there. plenty of zed riders as well.

Dutch
10-03-06, 03:03 PM
so basically going down the motway for 100 miles in top gear at one speed wont really help the matter of running it in?? I am going out tomorrow (depending on weather) with my cousins bloke so hopefully that will help do a few miles and help running it in.
As soon as i have past that mileage i will be definately be looking to come out with you all if thats cool?

Dutch
10-03-06, 03:05 PM
p.s.

ref hugger..........have a look in the site discounts section for the intobikes thread. could prove a winner

if not, try www.mcnninjas.co.uk forum. there's always peeps flogging bits and pieces on there. plenty of zed riders as well.

Thanks for that!! i will have a look. I like the Ermax one at the moment but i will check out the site and see whats getting about.

Scott_W
10-03-06, 03:07 PM
Sure no problems in coming out with us - the more the better! ;)

Going down the motorway in top gear won't really help I'm afraid.

Dutch
10-03-06, 03:11 PM
Oh well, looks like i will just have to find a road with loads of decent corners then. What a shame!! haha
got to bugger off for the weekend now. take it easy and i will log back in soon.
Thanks for the discount site, i will be using that this weekend.
Have a good ride out on sunday, i will hopefully be there on the next one.

Dabz
10-03-06, 03:25 PM
hi, welcome to the site! don't worry about speed at all mate..everyone has different abilities and we're all friendly enough :) I've been riding for coming up 2 years now, but had 6 months away from it last year. Got a new bike now though but it's not a sportsbike, so without fairing it's windy as hell at high speed! I'm also very slow round corners hehe

Amante_271
10-03-06, 03:49 PM
Dabz, Ive never had a bike with a fairing unless you include my car...

Senior management says I drive it like a bike!

CAR>>> Definition:

Motorbike with a side car, stablising front wheel and all enclosed fairing!!

Bout sums it up!!

S2_Neo
10-03-06, 04:45 PM
Hiya, welcome to the site, nice to see another new member :).

Im hope you feel very welcome here, as that is what you are :D.

Some of us as mentioned have a fair bit of experience.

Speaking for myself, im a new rider, did my test a couple of weeks back, I have done a little bit of sport riding before this tho.

So, dont feel like you will be the odd one out :D :p As you wont be :)

Hope to meet you soon.

P.s, did you mention where you were from, and how old you were?

~Peter~

JamesD
10-03-06, 10:55 PM
RE: Running in

Most of the knowledgeable people i haved spoken to (myself not included) would recommend using the rev range but just keep it slow and progressive, no snatching of the throttle. As indictated on other posts, running at the same revs for long periods is not going to give the motor much of a work out.

Mac
11-03-06, 04:34 PM
Welcome mate.
As mentioned previously there is a huge range of skillset with everyones ability.
Our ride outs will be very easily paced with a route set prior (unless something major happens) with meet up points along the way...so people can choose to blat off if they want to and wait...or come back the other way and catch back up again!
But thats their choice. Good thing will be the friendly pub lunch half way thru...or evening dinner.

Welcome to the forums mate. Everyones welcome here. We're one big happy family...arent we boys...? (Scott, Rich, Paul...lmao)

SkyJawa
11-03-06, 05:02 PM
LMAO!!! Thats fuel for another family war if ever there needed to be a reason!!

Scott_W
11-03-06, 05:18 PM
:D

Dutch
13-03-06, 02:36 PM
Like i promised here is a couple of pics of the bike.

Dutch
13-03-06, 02:37 PM

Gav
13-03-06, 07:19 PM
Hi and welcome....
Dont worry bout running the motor in, all modern engines are run on test benchs anyway and with modend machining tolerences there pretty much spot on out of the box. Jus take ti easy for the first 100 miles to run the tyres in and the brakes for 200-300 depending on how you use them.

Scott_W
13-03-06, 07:23 PM
Nice bike there - btw, get a tail tidy! ;)

Amante_271
13-03-06, 07:32 PM
RE: Running in

Most of the knowledgeable people i haved spoken to (myself not included) would recommend using the rev range but just keep it slow and progressive, no snatching of the throttle. As indictated on other posts, running at the same revs for long periods is not going to give the motor much of a work out.

The other thing to remember with running in an engine is use the gears more, basic rule of thumb Ive kept to is 1/2 revs for 250 miles (ie Red line at 8000 stick to 4000 max) then 3/4 for the next 500. Dont panic if it goes over slightly but as already posted, resist the temptation to wind her open to the throttle stops for at least 1000 miles to be totally safe as engine rebuilds can be costly and time consuming!!! :(

Must admit too that Im suprised to here you need to run in a new bike. I only used to need to do it after a re-bore or fitting new pistons & rings etc.

Always remember to give the brakes time to "bed-in" that way they WILL stop when you need them too!

If all else fails check what they say in the owners hand book!! :) ::) :)

zebedee1984
20-03-06, 10:26 PM
Hi, I'm the "cousins bloke" Chris - and dutch' running the bike in pretty quickly as we've gone out for a ride a few times, been riding myself since 2003 and progressed on to the ZX7R in Oct 2004, absolutely superb bike, but even after 18 months I'm still not using it to it's full potential, so any riding tips, anyone fancies sharing with us would be very much appreciated.