PDA

View Full Version : Biker comradery

zebedee1984
20-03-06, 10:15 PM
Hi, new to this forum stuff, but I think it's a great idea and will hopefully lead to bikers local to Swindon really looking out for each other with the comradery that you only see with people associated with the two wheeled awesome thing, that is the modern (and sometimes not-so) motorcycle.

A little help in looking for a standard ZX7R exhaust system (downpipes, collector etc) as everywhre I look all I can find is Akrapovic and Remus that cost far more than I can currently afford.

As I ride all year round, corrosion is starting to set in quite severely and I need to sort it and get a new system, before I find myself halfway through the summer with no bike to ride.

Any suggestions as to where I might find standard exhaust systems and also the cost?

zebedee1984
20-03-06, 10:17 PM
just so you don't think I'm an idiot, I know that picture isn't of me, but I like it and thought I would share it with you. my Kawasaki is Blue and I will post a picture soon for all to see.

zebedee1984
20-03-06, 10:27 PM
been riding myself since 2003 and progressed on to the ZX7R in Oct 2004 (was on Yamaha FZR400 up until a rather large spill in Malmesbury), absolutely superb bike, but even after 18 months I'm still not using it to it's full potential, so any riding tips, anyone fancies sharing with us would be very much appreciated.

JamesD
20-03-06, 10:35 PM
Hi zebedee and welcom, nice bike you have there.

Not sure a standard exhaust (factory) is going to save you any pennies over an aftermarket one, but you can try Cradley Heath Kawasaki (01384 633455), ask for Road Parts section. They are the largest indepandant Kawasaki parts dealer in the UK and hold a ton of stock, you never know they may have what you want lurking around.

R1chie
20-03-06, 10:57 PM
hello mate

another kwaka!!! muhahahaha

i'll ask around for those bits and pieces you are after. i know someone who is selling a standard end can for a ZX7r for £30 (excellent condition apparently).

let me know if this is any use to you

Mac
20-03-06, 11:06 PM
Welcome to the forums mate. Thanks for the comments. Although a new site our membership is starting to increase.
Hope the hunt for the zorst is a short one...sounds like the GG has got one sussed...lol

Mac

Gav
20-03-06, 11:15 PM
A standard system will cost big money, something like a standard replacment like a MOTAD will be cheaper and better than the OE kawasaki rust away item.

SkyJawa
21-03-06, 12:14 AM
Welcome aboard mate - I'm sure someone was selling ZX7R bits on www.mcnninjas.co.uk :)

Bealesy
21-03-06, 09:37 AM
Welcome, good choice of bike ;)

Dutch
21-03-06, 11:41 AM
Hello mate!! How are you getting on?? We will have to arrange a weekend to go for a ride out. There should be a few already arranged on this forum so give us a call and we will sort it out.

zebedee1984
21-03-06, 02:56 PM
Cheers for the advice guys. here's another dilemma for you though.

I could do with getting the new exhaust... but I would like to get a minor service as it's beenoutside all winter.

Interesting thing is that the only thing that currently worries me is the rusted exhaust, so if I service it, then I can rely on the engine etc for a while longer, but it doesn't solve the exhaust problem.

I did getit serviced (fully) by Bournemouth Kawasaki just under a year ago.

So the question is, dO i get the exhaust system or the service ( I know the exhaust cost will be more).

Dutch
21-03-06, 03:23 PM
How bad is your exhaust?? once you have the money together i would tap it with something and see how much real meat is left behind the rust. If you tap it and it goes through you have the money for the new exhaust ready and if everything end up being fine then you get the service done.

FJ_Biker
21-03-06, 04:01 PM
Get a second hand exhuast on eBay

zebedee1984
21-03-06, 04:01 PM
interesting method, and I suppose, it's fool proof.

I will have a go, it's not even that I have the money for either really at the moment, but it's a matter of the bike needs it and I have to get it done, so will pay what's needed.

zebedee1984
21-03-06, 04:02 PM
Can I trust e-bay though, I've never bought or sold on e-bay, do I want to risk making my first purchase on something that could (if wrong) really mess the bike up.

what's your experiences of buying on e-bay?

SkyJawa
21-03-06, 06:32 PM
I've done ok from ebay buying and selling - just make sure they have good feedback and have a good rating :)

zebedee1984
21-03-06, 06:43 PM
Have you ever bought anything for the bike on e-bay?

R1chie
21-03-06, 07:02 PM
I have..........bought a Blueflame race can for my old J2

Mate, if you want that exhaust i mentioned earlier let me know asap, as it won't be there for long.

Ref service: is it due for a service? has it been stood around for ages? I would have thought a fluid/oil top up, chain de-rusted/lubed and checked for tension, a bit of brake maintenance and tyre pressures checked would do the job. and maybe a battery recondition if it has been stood around for a while.

zebedee1984
21-03-06, 10:07 PM
All of which I can do for myself so the exhaust is looking that bit more of a wiser buy.

what do you know of this exhaust of your mates I remember you saying it was apparently in good condition was it the downpipes or just the end can?

Sorry to go on with this topic by the way

R1chie
21-03-06, 10:40 PM
just the end can as far as i know mate

the bloke reckons its in excellent nick (think he had it taken off early to put a race can on)

as the boy jawa mentioned, its a bloke off mcnninjas who's advertising it. i can ask if he's got any downpipes or post a topic up for you, either that or you join up yourself.

he lives in newbury btw, so not too far for you

SkyJawa
21-03-06, 11:55 PM
Yep - I've bought all sorts off ebay including bits for my bike and car!

zebedee1984
22-03-06, 04:51 PM
Having properly inspected the system last night, it's only really the down pipes I need, not the end can, so if your mate has some downpipes then I would be really happy to have a chat, but I won't need the end can.

I will log go to mcninjas and give it a mention, cheers gents, much obliged!