PDA

View Full Version : vertically challenged

hippychick
03-10-06, 11:05 AM
Just browsing the net and found your web site. Just about to enter the world of biking and planning to do my CBT next month. Unfortunately I am new to this biking lark and wondered if anyone can give me any info on what type of bike i should be looking for once I have past my test for a very petite verticaly challenged female of 5ft. Obviously height and width is an issue!!!

Stu
03-10-06, 11:12 AM
Hi and welcome to the site.

As for bikes it depends what type of riding/ style of bike you want.

Best bet is to pop along to your local dealer and have look and sit on any you like to see if you fit.

hippychick
03-10-06, 11:23 AM
Thanks for that. By the way did you post that picture of the babe that was attached with your reply??

Stu
03-10-06, 11:29 AM
that picture is always there! I added it to my signature

BB
03-10-06, 11:40 AM
Hi and welcome to Wiltshire bikers. Hope to meet you soon. good luck with the CBT - keep us posted!

We have had discussions on here about bike height for us girls before as we vary greatly in height, leg length as well as physical strength etc. You do need to do the rounds & sit on as many different bikes as you can to get the feel of them and get what you feel comfortable on. I'm collecting an FZ1 later this week and had to have a lowering kit fitted as I'm only 5'2', but I also have older, lower, lighter stuff in the garage.

BB

Dabz
03-10-06, 11:49 AM
welcome, good luck with the CBT...remember to have fun as it's usually a really enjoyable day

hippychick
03-10-06, 11:58 AM
Thanks for that. i need to do some more research into this stuff obviously though its a bit scary when you have no knowledge and relying on others to guide you. When you say hope to meet soon where do you meet ?

Dabz
03-10-06, 12:08 PM
a lot of people form here usually go up to the Lysley Arms near Chippenham on a Monday evening - the main bike meets have finished for the summer now but a fair few people continue to go during the winter :)

we also try to arrange rides every now and then so we can all meet up :)

oh and there's the red lion at avesbury on a wednesday night which is quite popular!

babyblade069
03-10-06, 01:57 PM
Hi Hippy welcome to WB and enjoy the banter!

blurbiker247
03-10-06, 04:09 PM
Hi yer Hippychic, nice to see you'v been given a good welcome, you should listern to BB, she's been about a bit ;) and sat on lots of bikers :-? :-[ oops OMG she'll kill me, I ment BIKES, anyway big welcome and good luck.

hippychick
03-10-06, 04:11 PM
Thanks baby blade 069..Are we two of a few females with a bike interest or are there more? Not that I can call myself a proper biker fanatic..havent even passed my test yet but heres hoping

hippychick
03-10-06, 04:21 PM
bluebiker247

You sound rather naughty dont you...
Anyway what sort of reception will I get when I turn up on my 50cc moped after my CBT? Not sure I am up for a big one!( and before you make any other assumptions other than a bike I meant a 1000cc )
Looking at the site you all have pretty tasty bikes. My moped will be a p....s take
especially when I turn up in my red hot leathers and boots

BB
03-10-06, 04:23 PM
You don't need to pass your test to be a bike fanatic - I've known a few pillions over the years who could be classed as fanatics. There are quite a few girls on the WB site, ranging from pillion thru' learner to experienced rider (of bikes Blue!)

By the way, has anyone warned you about Blue yet? I'll sort him later - or perhaps not, he might enjoy it! He keeps trying to get us girls to sort him out! ;D

BB

blurbiker247
03-10-06, 04:24 PM
A listern, a bikes a bike, and no one will look down on you what ever you ride so come along, you'll be very welcome and meet some nice people, ..........you'll just have to accept the others for what they are ;D ;D ;D

Me naughty :-? nar not me, pure as the driven snow :)

BB
03-10-06, 04:36 PM
Don't you worry about what you ride at present - come along regardless, come in a car if need be. If we are doing a run and you want to go but haven't got a suitable bike, then generally someone will take you pillion. We have done the ocaisional run for smaller bikes, aint we Blue?

Just remember that whatever they are riding now they started on 'L' plates at one time or another and for some of them it was in the dim & distant past when it was far far easier to pass the test than it is for you nowadays! ;)

BB

b_1_rd
04-10-06, 10:00 PM
Hello, good luck. :)

silver
09-10-06, 01:59 PM
Hi there again...another female member here........ :)

Just to let u know that I have a 125cc and I have been made to feel very welcome by the guys and gals on here.......only bin on one rideout and a couple of Avebury meets!!!!! but still....enjoyed every minute of it!!!!!!!!!! Soon to take me test and get a bigger bike tho.

Its end of the season for most bike clubs but Avebury and Lysley are still meeting (i think?) If the weathers ok and Stu can avoid the rain!!!!! Then take a trip out there one night.Wed for Avebury and Mons. for the Lysley Arms.

Take Care and Happy Riding

Silver x :)

Amante_271
10-10-06, 08:20 AM
Me naughty :-? nar not me, pure as the driven snow :)
Pure as the driven slush more like!!!

Hi Hippy Chick!

We are all friendly here and we dont bite... well not too hard... unless you want us too!!! :o :o

Your one up on me at the moment as I dont even have a bike on the road!!! (In the garage awaiting copious amounts of TLC!)

Its good to see not all slo-ped riders are Chavs and some want to join the big biking family that we belong to. :) If youve got any problems or questions dont be affraid to ask cos Im sure SOMEONE out here will have an answer.... only too pleased to help!! :)

R1chie
12-10-06, 07:19 PM
alreet shorty

GixerBoy
12-10-06, 08:19 PM
Welcome!

nicko600
13-10-06, 09:51 AM
Hope the CBT goes well. You cluld try getting out to BikeDirect in Bristol, they import a lot of grey 400cc bikes which are good for the lower than average height as my wife bought hers there, she is 5'2".

lottie
09-11-06, 02:45 PM
Hello Hippychick, I live near Cricklade and am still a novice biker so when you pass give me a shout if you fancy a bimble around!!

rickandmaz
14-11-06, 09:56 PM
Hi, I passed my test about 4 years ago..........I am 5'5" and found the best thing is to go to a main dealer sit on the bikes and then have some test rides thats what I did. Also.......what do YOU want the bike to do?? what do YOU want it for...............I bought a ZR7S Kawasaki, yes its a little heavy.........but I can do 200 miles on one tank of juice and I can get off after 2+ hours and still stand up straight.......its really comfy, fitted with panniers, I bought it for touring because that is what my husband and I like to do..........dont opt for the first one you see and dont bow to "Man" pressures !! just because he has an R1 does not mean its right for you.

Hope this helps !!

Good Luck and Happy Bike Hunting !

jonnydangerous
05-12-06, 02:33 PM
hi there, dont let the height issue put you off toooooo much, i have a mate who is 5 foot 2 and rides a lowered ZXR400, she does drag strip runs, is a superb/safe road rider, and has even joined the 200mph club, doing 203.4mph on a zx12 down a runway!....theres a bike out there with your name on it.... happy searching :-)

schwee
13-12-06, 12:55 AM
alreet shorty

You make me larf ;D

Hi Hippychick, welcome aboard

Good luck with your progress into the larger bike community (i don't like mopeds :P )

piglet
03-01-07, 07:27 PM
Hi there - just joined the site and saw your messages, and I wondered how you got on. Did you do your CBT? Did you take it any further and do the bike test? I'm also something of a not-awfully-tall person, and I've found a couple of big bikes I'm comfortable on which I'd recommend if you're still looking.