PDA

View Full Version : New Triker at 55!

flyingosca
01-06-07, 09:47 AM
Hi everyone, my name is Larry (aka flyingosca) I recently bought a beat up old Yamaha 900 trike from eBay (where else?) and have had it repaired / restored professionally although I have still had to sort out a lot of the wiring myself.
I live and work during the week in Oaksey nr Swindon but live in Skegness (where the trike is at the moment). I've just got hold of one of those Trail-a-Trike gizmos so plan to bring my ride back with me when I come back to work on Sunday pm.
I now have to find someone local to Osksey / Cricklade / Cirencester / Swindon who can do an MOT on the trike for me as the current one expired a week or so ago. Can anyone out there suggest a garage?
The last time I rode a bike, apart from as pillion passenger was about 35 years ago when I had a Honda 125 trail bike which kept throwing me off and I kinda lost my enthusiasm!
Now I'm pushing 55 I thought it time to hit the lanes and byeways again but as I don't have a bike licence I decided the trike was the way to go as I am an aging hippy and want to collect my pension from the postoffice (when the time comes) on my trike with my white ponytail blowing in the wind 8-)
I'd like to hear from any 'new' riders with their stories, advice, tips etc as I am a real biker virgin and need to be shown the ropes!!
Regards to everyone and safe riding!
Larry de Wit

Silverrider
01-06-07, 10:35 AM
Hello Larry. Welcome. I haven't got any recommendations regarding MOTs as my bike is still under warranty so I use Triumph main dealer but i'm sure someone on here will be able to offer advice.
I'd love to see a pic of the trike once you get it sorted. The only trikes I get to see these days are the ones on show at the bike nights at Poole Quay on Tuesdays.

flyingosca
01-06-07, 10:54 AM
Hi Silverrider thanks for message. I have a photo of the trike (pre new paint job & lights) but am not sure how I can post it here. Any advice??

Ladyridercymru
01-06-07, 02:14 PM
Steve Lynham does MOT's for trikes I believe.
He is based in Swindon

Address:
Unit 5, Kingsdown Industrial Estate
Kingsdown Rd
Stratton St. Margaret
Swindon
Wiltshire
SN25 6PD

Tel: 01793 820630

Ladyridercymru
01-06-07, 02:17 PM
This link might help with the posting of pics on this forum!
http://www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1155671730

Go to the gallery to post your pics up... :)

Mandy
x

flyingosca
01-06-07, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the info Mandy, I'll give it a go

Larry x

flyingosca
01-06-07, 03:21 PM
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa219/flyingosca/trike001.jpg

flyingosca
01-06-07, 03:24 PM
Well, I guess it worked! This is my trike the day I got it back from being repaired. Its since had a new paint job and lights so looks better.

Mandy, Steve Lynham couldn't help but he put me on to Lower Stratton Service Station in Ermine Street Swindon who will do it for me. I just have to get the trike weighed first as I don't have a clue how heavy it is. A guess will be about 600kg but we will see!

mike
01-06-07, 09:57 PM
Cool trike, and good on yer for getting one after 35 years away Larry! I've always wanted a trike, one day maybe. Good luck with the MOT. It can't weigh 600kg surely? Nearer 400 at a guess. There we go, a competition, like guessing the weight of a cake, or no of sweets in a jar. Nearest guess wins sweet FA!

Amante_271
02-06-07, 06:47 AM
There we go, a competition, like guessing the weight of a cake, or no of sweets in a jar. Nearest guess wins....
..... a go on the back / front???

457kg

Welcome to the site mate.

Nice to see someone else on here who classes them selves as a (SLIGHTLY!) ageing hippy with a pony tail! I was getting worried that I was the only one left!!

A real Beaut of a Trike tho! Whats the new paint job like??

Take care buddy,

Ride free dude! 8-)

Andrew

Silverrider
02-06-07, 07:53 AM
Very nice[smiley=thumbup.gif] Looking forward to seeing the new paint job.
My guess on the weight would be 430kg

Barry

Dabz
02-06-07, 11:30 AM
that's a beauty mate! 1st trike on wiltshire bikers too I believe, so be proud, hopefully the 1st of many :D welcome to the forums

flyingosca
02-06-07, 01:36 PM
Hello people, thanks for the nice comments on my trike. I had it weighed this morning - a pitiful 320kg!!!!! Bit of a dinky toy really!
New paint is black with black, kept the flame design on the tank. I've put chrome lights on the top of the rear mudguards for tail/stop and indicator as well as white markers on front and amber on the side Just finished a DIY wiring job so all trike lights work from car when towed on my Trail a trike which was tested this morning and works a treat! Means I don't need a lighting board and I (guess) its legal! I'll find out if I I get pulled on Sunday night on my way back to Oaksey.

Have a great weekend everyone, its a good one for riding

bubbafred
02-06-07, 06:01 PM
hi and welcome to WB

flyingosca
03-06-07, 08:30 AM
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa219/flyingosca/Trikeathome002.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa219/flyingosca/Trikeathome001.jpg
This is the trike after the paint job & new lights. No major difference, just a lot tidier. Its all hooked up to the Trail a Trike gizmo for the trip to Oaksey tonight.

bubbafred
03-06-07, 09:31 AM
well it looks good

Amante_271
03-06-07, 07:56 PM
Hi m8.

The mods might be only small but it looks ALOT tidier and dare I say better for them!

8-) Nice Trike m8 8-)

Ladyridercymru
03-06-07, 08:59 PM
Wow thats really nice!
I love when you ride a trike you dont have to have a helmet on... I used to ride them in Arizona when I lived out there... its a heck of a buzz!
Be great to see you out and about on it soon!

T
04-06-07, 09:31 AM
Loving the trike mate! :) Welcome to WB, hopefully see you out and about at some point............ tho having just passed my test (another biker virgin after too many years as a pillion ;)) Im now on the hunt for a bike! Not too much longer I hope! ;)

flyingosca
05-06-07, 02:43 PM
Hi everyone. I got the trike safely back here on the trail-a-trike gizmo, a pretty neat bit of kit. Got a few little jobs to do on her before the test which will hopefully be early next week. I've never put a bike / trike through an MOT so don't really know what they will be looking out for apart from the obvious brakes, lights. tyres etc. Fingers crossed.
Hope to see some of you out on the road soon.

FJ_Biker
06-06-07, 01:47 PM
Nice bake and gaff

flyingosca
06-06-07, 02:34 PM
Cheers FJ. trike is paid for - gaff isn't!

flyingosca
06-06-07, 04:33 PM
sorry to be thick, I told you I was new - but what are mods Andrew?

Amante_271
07-06-07, 09:13 AM
sorry to be thick, I told you I was new - but what are mods Andrew?

Twits on Lambrettas wearing parkas and listening to The Who!! (LOL! ;D)

Mods = Modifications

flyingosca
07-06-07, 11:08 AM
Duh!!! Thanks!!