PDA

View Full Version : Novice newbie

T
10-04-07, 11:27 AM
Hi All! Having been a pillion rider for too many years I am now in the process of taking control.......... have my bike test at the end of the month, so hope to be riding in time for summer.... Yeay!! (provided I pass that is :-/) Have already decided not to get too ambitious with my first bike, so was thinking of a 600cc, but not sure if it might be a bit much for me to handle first time out, so any advice would be appreciated. Also, being a girlie of not-too-tall proportions means I have to consider the height/weight of the bike and my own limitations in terms of leg length. Any advice from those of you 5' 6" and under? Anyways, I live in the Chippenham area so if all goes according to plan I hope to see some of you around and about over summer. Hope you are enjoying the taster we have been having at the moment! 8-)

Dabz
10-04-07, 01:06 PM
welcome to the forums :D I reckon a 600 is fine straight after your test - it's not a huge jump from the 500 you'll do your test on. The only difference will be if you get a sportsbike or something a bit less extreme..a bandit 600 or hornet or fazer would do you proud while you're getting used to it all

T
10-04-07, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the advice Dabz.... and the welcome. Not only am I a novice rider, but Im a newbie to this forum stuff too, so I apologise in advance for any breaches in etiquette! Looking forward to improving my skills tho ........ in both respects ;)

FJ_Biker
10-04-07, 06:56 PM
Hello T and good luck with the test

The big question is what type of bike do you want, sports, custom, retro, and the list goes on.

My top tip would be sit on the bike and move the handle bars till they hit the stops to make sure you have a good reach. If that makes sense .

T
11-04-07, 07:56 AM
Hi FJ_Biker....... thanks for the advice, and yes, it does make sense........ not-so-long-legs goes with the not-so-long-arms! ;) In terms of style of bike, I like sports bikes, but being a newbie dont want to scare myself silly first time out (or get spat off!), so have been looking at sports tourers. Also, am doing the test with my boyfriend and he has even shorter legs than me! He works overseas alot so we will be sharing a bike to begin with (no point having one sitting doing nothing and going to waste) but he prefers retro/custom to sports bikes, so there will have to be some compromise there too. The bandit/fazer suggested by Dabz is something I have been considering in the faired versions......... anyone care to comment on how they handle? Am itching to get out there and test ride some but need that all-important bit of paper first - and the sun has been shining........ Aaargh! ;) 8-)

Dabz
11-04-07, 08:35 AM
The 600 bandit handles pretty well, and the fairing helps to take the wind blast that you get on the nakeds off. They're really robust bikes and defintiely handled me learning to ride hehe!

Scott_W
11-04-07, 08:43 AM
Hi T! If you are after a sportsbike, I guess your budget comes in to play. You could easily fit on a RVF400 and they are nice bikes. If you feel the 400 cc engine will be too small for you in the long run then look at something say, like the GSXR600 or similar as they have narrow seats and lower seat heights than say the R6/CBR600's of the world.

There is a company out there (I think his name is Dr Hull or something like that - hopefully my wife, RVFBabe, can confirm this) that offers a service where he lowers the bike for you, but yet maintains the essence of the bike, i.e. it being a sportsbike. I don't think he charges all that much (especially in the world of bikes as well!) for his service.

kwik
11-04-07, 09:37 AM
Good luck with the test ... I'm 5'4" with a 31" inside leg and got straight on a FZR400. Narrow seat made it easier but it soon transpired I don't like sportsbikes (riding position) and felt too 'stretched' out to ride confidently. Wish I'd gone for the Hornet 600 after trying a mates' one (I think they are lighter than the Bandit, not too sure). Prefer the retro/naked bike look anyway and find they are more my style of riding. Try browsing http://www.400greybike.co.uk for info on 400/600cc bikes and plenty of short people around :)

RVFBabe
11-04-07, 12:35 PM
As Scott W has mentioned there is a company that lowers bikes, link added below:-

http://www.drshull.co.uk/

I'm 5'3 and ride the RVF400 but I've had this bike about 8-9 years now and at the time of looking there weren't any 600cc or above that I could fit.

Now, if I had the money I could get a GSXR 600, 750 or 1000 as they are lower, narrower and lighter and would fit it quite comfortably ::) :)

Good Luck!

furry-TLR
11-04-07, 12:53 PM
Hellos :)

5ft 6" not toooo short though so you might find you'll fit on more bikes than you expected.

You can get longer wishbones (also called dog bones) to lower the bike...problem with them is you then need to drop the front end through to keep the weight distribution the same(otherwise it will handle **** out of corners)...which is all well except you loose alot of ground clearance and might find the pegs touching base round corners if you ride hard.

400's are quite common with shorties...they can also prove to be costly to maintain though.
(ZXR400 is the best of them really when it comes to living with one...GSXR400 1990 onwards also good......Hondas are ok if you can swallow the high parts costs!)

One bike not mentioned here but is started to become pouplar with the ladys is the CCM R30 (Suzuki based 644cc version)...not got a massive top end only 110mph but it's a peach of a ride and handles so well (Even though I ride a TL1000R a little voice keeps telling me to get one lol)...They seem to be going on ebay for peanuts at the moment.

Bandit 600...ok smallish engine but the bike is physically quite big as is a Hornet 600 (From a shorties perspective anyway!)....both can be lowered but again you just need to get on one and try em :)

I've always been a suzuki person myself but I'm not keen on the latest GSXR's build quality on them is paper thin....better off getting a 636 but they ain't cheep even 2nd hand! (They hold their value well)

End of the day, try as many as you can, I've always been one for sportsbikes better tyre choice for them if nothing else got me into them :D

topcat
11-04-07, 04:33 PM
Hi
Am only 5 ft 5 myself and I find Kawasaki a good bike for controlling and height wise.
Just about to sell my GPZ 500 and have bought a Zephyr 750 and Ive only had my license 6 months but its amazing how quickly you can get on with a bike.
I though 500 would be enough for me, but obvioulsy not so it all depends on individual tastes I suppose.
Good luck with test, took mine round Chippenham (not too bad if not too busy)

HC8
11-04-07, 11:04 PM
hello and welcome

good luck with the test and if its a CBR600 you are looking for i know of a nice clean J reg one for sale 34k on clock and only £1100 :)

T
12-04-07, 08:55 AM
Hi All

Thanks for the welcome one and all.... tis great!;) Have taken all your advice on board, and will keep you up to date with how I get on, and what I end up with. Apparantly the boyfriend went off to do some research of his own yesterday and came back with a lid, boots, and a love for the ZZR 6 on which he got both feet on the ground....... so that compromise might not be too hard after all! ;) Start my 500cc training next week, so tis getting closer - mind you, getting nervous about the test now after a kindly mate took pleasure in telling me how his missus has failed her test 4 times on the U-turn and is still trying. Would keep my fingers crossed but might interfere with throttle control! :)

furry-TLR
12-04-07, 02:21 PM
LOL you'll be fine...if anything I found bike schools didn't focus enough on teaching low speed control, it was all about "can you ride the thing...yes? then on the road we go" LOL

I got 5 minors on mine, 3 for going the wrong way (the radio broke up, he said at the roundabout straight on then 2nd right...all I heard was "2nd right" when I got to the roundabout LOL)....other 2 minors were for being too cautious...which was me waiting for ages as a garbage truck was stopped right on a traffic control thing where traffic from one way has to give way to traffic comming the other way etc...I couldn't even see the cars comming the other way due to the truck and there was no way I was going to position myself in the oncomming lane to get a better view only for some twat to run me over LOL!

Just remember OSMPSL...and your sorted :D (Can see I was brainwashed when they taught me lol)

darth_vader
12-04-07, 07:34 PM
welcome to here,

T
12-04-07, 07:40 PM
Thanks Furry-TLR........ but what is OSMPSL?!! Now Im really worried!;)

furry-TLR
12-04-07, 11:06 PM
No probs...

Observe/Signal/Manvoure/---/Position/Speed/Look (+ Lifesaver)

They will spend virtually all the training brainwashing that into you...Still didn't help me when I was staionary at a junction and a car hit me up the ass at 30mph LOL...He seemed to suffer from SMIDSY syndrome ;D

T
13-04-07, 08:18 AM
Ok Furry, now you are just playing with a poor newbie........ SMIDSY??!! Hmmm......... Some Motoring Idiot Didnt See You? ....... or perhaps Sanity Mildly Infected by Dented Shiny Yamaha?? Best I could come up with at 8am, so you are going to have to enlighten me further;)

Scott_W
13-04-07, 08:43 AM
Sorry Mate I Didn't Seee You ;)

T
13-04-07, 02:25 PM
lmao!.......... thanks Scott W ;)

furry-TLR
13-04-07, 02:41 PM
Hey you guessed the DSY bit on the end right ;D born biker in the making LOL ( Allthough the Yamaha version was pretty off base lol ;D )

Forgot to say earlier I wrote a bike off when doing my CBT, and still passed ;D that was a ****ty Yamaha SR125...prolly worst bike ever made...actually no that would be a Honda Cub C90 lol

One Tip I can give though is get a bike with at least 140 section tyre on the rear...they should have kept skinny tyres to push bikes LOL...I brought a GSX250 (81 classic lol) once as a pot around, even going round corners in the dry I was pooping my pants with the rock hard square avons on there...think they were 100 section too...bikers back in those days must have had massive nuts to ride it ;D

T
14-04-07, 09:45 AM
Quick question for Kwik girlie....... what qualification are you working towards? Given your interest in gravel-rash I am guessing it is something in the medical profession? Anyways, just being nosey but good luck regardless! ;)

kwik
14-04-07, 11:45 AM
Aww fanx :D Yeah, a nurse so have a morbid interest in wounds and broken bones ;D

kwik
14-04-07, 11:47 AM
No probs...

Observe/Signal/Manvoure/---/Position/Speed/Look (+ Lifesaver)

They will spend virtually all the training brainwashing that into you...Still didn't help me when I was staionary at a junction and a car hit me up the ass at 30mph LOL...He seemed to suffer from SMIDSY syndrome ;D

I thought you had meant to type PMSL or something and had gone a bit mad on the keyboard ::) :D

furry-TLR
14-04-07, 05:00 PM
Ha! Classic ;D

Which bike school did you goto? :-/ LOL

I can't think of anymore bikie shorthands to confuse poor T with though :P

T
14-04-07, 05:23 PM
Just as well you cant think of any more Furry...... it doesnt take much to confuse me, being a natural blonde and bottle brunette (my artificial intelligence) ;). And good luck with the finals Kwik........ having spent the last 5 years as a full-time student I can sympathise! Am on a year out at mo before tackling the next lot, so finally have some time to do the things I have put off for too long - like my bike test! :)

PK
14-04-07, 09:25 PM
Hello All from the very sunny Northlands, I am still doing that disappearing trick mentioned earlier but hey I am here now and will be there on Monday. I have ridden a bike before but a long time ago and things have changed...ach well hence the full course. I had a read through T's comments and can only say I look forward to those days when I am home to ride around. Anyway test soon then away but back before too long hopefully and then time to get out and about!

T
15-04-07, 10:10 AM
For those of you that couldnt follow PK's logic train, he is the frequently-absent short-legged boyfriend I will be sharing the bike with.... not quite overseas at the mo, just over the border in Scotland! (Overseas again at the end of the month) He is re-taking his test with me as the DVLA 'lost' his bike entitlement when changing his licence from paper to plastic. ;)

PK
15-04-07, 10:35 AM
What a description of me hun......oh joy. Ach well I will be back down soon.

T
27-04-07, 06:40 PM
Hi all! Been pretty hectic here of late what with gardening/fencing/decorating and of course, the all important DAS, so soz for the lack of chat, but thought should bring you up to date..........

PK successfully passed his test this morning, and has had a big grin ever since, so a big well done to him! :D I on the other hand managed a fairly respectable 6 minor faults, followed by a pretty spectacular serious one right at the end of the test when I dropped the bike on the deck during the U-turn - Aargh!! :-/ :'( Having done it no problem earlier in the morning I would have kicked myself if me leg wasnt still stuck under the bike! :o

Anyways, at least one of us passed, and mine is booked in again for the end of next month (earlier if I can get a cancellation!). PK is back up to Scotland tonight to see his girls for the weekend, then off to Baku on monday for another stint at work, so with a bit of luck (and some more practice) I will hopefully have passed in time for him coming home to go bike shopping! ;)

However, we did have a fun few days out on the roads, and it has given us a taste of what we want more of for the summer. Our thanks to Leigh for making the best of a troublesome week, and here's to better luck (and more skill) next time! :-[ ;)

Hope you all been enjoying the good weather of late 8-)

PK
04-05-07, 12:11 AM
Indeed our thanks to Leigh and I cant wait to go shopping as per my post! Ach well we will both be going as I have a good feeling now and I trust the weather is better there than here!
Time for me to sit and drool over various machines on the net as its the closest I will be coming to anything for a while yet :(
Anyway best get on with things and see you all soon

bubbafred
04-05-07, 10:19 AM
Hi all i'm bubba fred.

live in Tidworth, been here for about 14 years, single,
currently riding a hayabusa, which is outstanding, a pure buzz. Bubba is the name of the bike, and fred is my nick name.

i hope to go on as many rideoute as posible, as lots of free time on my hands,
was formerly in the Swindon rideout club, but had a falling out with the organiser of the site.
hope to post as much as possible as well

kiff
04-05-07, 06:12 PM
welcome to the forums :D I reckon a 600 is fine straight after your test - it's not a huge jump from the 500 you'll do your test on. The only difference will be if you get a sportsbike or something a bit less extreme..a bandit 600 or hornet or fazer would do you proud while you're getting used to it all
Hi there T, welcome to the forum, hope to meet up on a rideout soon.

Dabz, your making me feel old now, 20 years ago when I passed my test, it was still the old maximum of 125 for learners and the tester stood by the side of the road.

Nokesy
05-05-07, 06:25 PM
Such a shame T about your test but at least you failed in style!! I did exactly the same the morning of my test, but fortunately did a perfect one on my test (the only one that ever was!).

I was really enjoying reading the whole of this thread and was eagerly anticipating the end - whether you both passed or not. It was like reading a good book and trying to fight temptation to look to the last page to see what happens!!! I also learn't some lingo along the way - I certainly had forgotten OSMPML!! Anyway, best of luck T for your test - when is it? If it is May 11th at 13.33 then it's lucky!!

T
05-05-07, 08:26 PM
Hi Nokesy........ and thanks for the comments......... yes, if Im going to do something (even fail), I like to do it in style;) well, will keep the novellette going for you..........;)

I am owed a couple of half days training from when we did our DAS ...... the story being that PK dutifully performed his BOLTS check the day before our test, prior to a mornings instruction........ and low and behold, what did he find, but a nice big fat roofing nail smack bang in the centre of the rear tyre :'(........ Anyways..... the nail was pulled out (by the head honcho of the riding school himself), and the tyre very quickly went flat. :-? A quick trip to Halfords and some tyre weld later, and we had a nice big puddle of tyre weld oozing out the rear tyre. :o Next? A spare inner tube was found, fitted, inflated........ and found to have a leak. :-?

By this time, PK and I are back at home, sat on the patio with a cuppa, waiting for the call that will allow us to be out riding in the sunshine instead of sweating in leathers eagerly awaiting the call to get back on the bikes. Anyways, Murphy's Law prevailed, and as soon as we decided to make some lunch, the call came........ so we snarfed our food, and off we went. (Apparantly an intervening trip to Melksham for a new tyre ,which had to be fitted at the side of the road by our instructor cos the garage was too busy, was the final solution to the tyre problem). But back to the point........ PK and I missed 4 1/2 hours training each...... which now translates into some convenient extra time out for me before I retake my test :) And in answer to your question........ May 25th, which may be a good omen. PK had to drive to Scotland the day he passed his test, and me, my boy and a friend of mine are doing the same and taking a road trip North the day I retake mine............. hell, at this point, I will take any sign of providence I can get!;)

In the meantime, I am keeping busy finishing of the transformation of my son's room from Mickey Mouse and Balloo (when he was 3) to cool and dude-like (now he is 11), and tending the garden in the sunshine whilst trying to ignore the sounds of the bikes going down Avenue La Fleche 8-)

So I hope you guys are making the most of the opportunities, and I will hopefully be able to ride out with you before the sunshine disappears for another year! ;)

FJ_Biker
05-05-07, 08:35 PM
My thoughts are with you T good luck for later this month, look at the bright side you’ll have a cracking story to tell up the pub in years to come (I know its not much help now)

T
06-05-07, 08:14 AM
Cheers FJ..... will keep you all up to date.......... PS Nokesy............ why May 11th at 13.33? When you passed yours perchance? ;)

Ladyridercymru
06-05-07, 02:18 PM
Hi and welcome!

Nokesy
06-05-07, 02:18 PM
Yes indeedy!! :) :) :)

PK
06-05-07, 11:46 PM
Ach ya dinna need ony luck lassie ya will dae jist fine ma quinne!
There that should confuse a fair few and pay back for all the confusticating abbreviations!
Still set on a sporty bike? .... Damn saw a really nice one on the net!! ;)
OK gotta split for now!

Amante_271
07-05-07, 06:42 AM

Does that come with sub-titles?? ::)

T
07-05-07, 08:57 AM

Aye, if ye askit nice like, an shutit dar tae kep te divvy oot ;)

Amante_271
09-05-07, 10:01 AM

Fair enough then! .... Is semaphor an option??? :-?

T
09-05-07, 10:16 AM
sorry mate, couldnt resist practising for my trip North in a couple of weeks.... been a while since I was up and my bilingual skills are getting rusty! ;)

Amante_271
09-05-07, 10:33 AM
No worries my luva! I still be not three sure wot he be jabbain on with and for, tho my love. be you goin to ask for a meanin to all dis foreign speek when you do see him my love?

Im not a native be at least you can work out what it says!!!! LOL

;D :-*

T
09-05-07, 10:53 AM
there be a touch of the cider drinker in there somewhere methinks........ or be it further south yet to the land of the pastie maker?;)

Ladyridercymru
09-05-07, 10:56 AM

Does that come with biscuits? ;)

Hows your back now T?

T
09-05-07, 04:13 PM
I always supply biscuits............ but as for me back - do you know something I dont Ladyrider? ;)

Ladyridercymru
09-05-07, 04:15 PM
lol me thinks I have the wrong person!

Apologies! DUH DUH DUH!

PK
22-05-07, 04:03 PM
Well as per the mail then yep on the Home straight! You are too and good luck with the next week.
See you in God's Country!
LOL
Any further ideas on the shopping front Senior management?

T
25-05-07, 11:20 AM
Hi there folks! Just to let you know that I passed my test this morning, so YEAY!!!!!! Time to go shopping with PK and get ourselves some wheels ........ and hopefully join you on some ride outs over the summer! Big grin for me............ just got a 10 hour drive up to the northern sector now to spend half term with the family and be put to graft. Hopefully catch y'all when we get back. Enjoy the bank holiday!!

:D ;D :) 8-)

FJ_Biker
25-05-07, 01:23 PM
Congratulations

bubbafred
25-05-07, 01:43 PM
Well done!!!!!!!

Ghost
25-05-07, 11:01 PM
Congratulations! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Silverrider
26-05-07, 04:23 PM
Well done T [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

kwik
28-05-07, 10:38 AM
Well done ;)

PK
28-05-07, 08:47 PM
Ah Senior Management....Congratulations and I knew my faith was as always well placed in your hands. I know you have your leathers with you so we can go SHOPPING....Yipee I get to spend some money!
See you real soon but keep up the research plz...
PK Lower management!

T
04-06-07, 11:26 AM
Hello peeps!

Well, for those of you who have been following the mini soap opera (particularly Nokesy ;)), we have finally reached the next episode........... ::)

Firstly, thanks for the congratulations guys and gals! Have sent off for my new licence so looking forward to getting that back, tho have finally had to surrender my old paper one and trade it in for the one with a mugshot. How come passport photos are never flattering?! :-/

I am now back in Wiltshire following my 4-wheeled road trip to Scotland. 11 1/2 hours to get there (bank holiday friday), just under 9 to get back, with lots of manual labour and some alcohol in between! (Too much time chopping down trees led to difficulty holding the glass! :-? PK managed to avoid the manual labour bit by getting stuck on a boat in the Caspian Sea for longer than he should have, only getting back in the country late on Saturday, and is now somewhere on the M6 heading to Wilts. The moral of this tale being that tomorrow will be our first chance to go bike shopping.......... yippee!!

Got to sit on a mates CBR600F whilst up North (no way he was going to let me test ride his baby tho! ;D :- :'()............ beautiful beast with a lovely roar, but have to admit to being a bit put off by the weight. Dont know if it was just muscle fatigue from the tree-felling or if I truly am a feeble female, but found it a tad heavy. The good news was that I could get both feet on the ground tho! Those Daytona boots work wonders for giving you a bit of extra leg length ;)

Going to check out the dealers in Swindon/Bristol over the next few days, so if anyone has any recommedations for where to go they will be gratefully received ;)

Will keep you informed, tho should probably start posting this under general chat rather than intro ......... what's the etiquette on that? Or should I just wait until we finally get the bike and then just post an announcement complete with fanfare? ;)

T
08-06-07, 05:03 PM
for those of you waiting with baited breath for the grand anouncement, complete with fanfare............ go see the thread under general bike chat, complete with pic of the new toy! ;) :D

T
08-06-07, 05:03 PM
Yup, we got wheels!!!!! ;D