PDA

View Full Version : Changing tyres

JamesD
16-03-06, 08:35 PM
Look like i get to post the 1st technical question....

Wanted to know if you guys always changed tyres in pairs, or if it was OK to change the rear on it own (assuming its the same type as the front), dont know if i have been commiting some biking faux pas :-[

gravelrash
16-03-06, 09:04 PM
tis ok to change the back, you will probably find that you will get through two rears to every front, maybe even more. All depends on your riding style and how powerful your bike is.

R1chie
16-03-06, 09:15 PM
it'll be fine if you are putting the same type of tyre on as it'll have the same profile/compound etc

Amante_271
16-03-06, 11:49 PM
I always changed the tyres separately as I went thru rear tyres in 3-4000 miles max, less (MUCH LESS) if I was taking it up the strip! Any way front tyre was usually in the air most of the time! LOL! Wheelies AND wheel spin at the same time was always an interesting experiance on a very light 2 stroke! <<WEG>>

I love the smell of molten rubber in the morning!!

Scott_W
17-03-06, 12:26 AM
As the others have said, it's fine changing the rear before the front. Typically you should get about 4k out of the rear and 8k out of the front. These mileages can always change if you do a lot of commuting and square the tyre off.

JamesD
17-03-06, 08:58 AM
Thats good news, well as long as I like the tyres on the new bike I should be OK...dont fancy forking out £200+ a time on a new set :o

We shall see how long these last ;) I know I have some strip time in August (Bulldog Bash), may be timed nicely with a new set straight after.

Gav
17-03-06, 06:34 PM
Its fine to change one tyre at a time, you can evan mix makes of tyre...the only thing to watch is make sure you dont fit a softer compound on the rear to what you have on the front-you want the grip at the front end not the rear plus if the rear slides from a slightly harder tyre its easy to control....front slide=tarmac kissing session.

zebedee1984
22-03-06, 09:23 PM
That's it, the front needs to heat up quicker so having a grippier front isn't a big thing and can suit a lot of people's riding style, but the soundest way to go through tyres is same profile and same make, this way you know if something goes wrong and you end up "going down the road" you know it was something you did and can look at finding a solution to your riding rather than losing confidence in tyres unnecessarily, because this can effect your riding for a long time.

I know this from experience.

Snowy
29-03-06, 05:15 PM
The golden rule is not to mix radials with x-ply's, which apart from being dangerous is also an MOT failure. Not to mention the rash you will get the first time you use the brakes in anger!

Sinz1000K3
19-04-06, 09:50 PM
Really wish my rear tyres lasted 3-4K miles...1-1.5K miles is more the average:/

sigg21
19-04-06, 09:52 PM
get about 5k out of my bt020, on my old mans sprint st

aimee_patterson
19-04-06, 09:53 PM
i done 1k in 2 weeks hope mine are ok

tinks43
19-04-06, 10:06 PM
changed mine at 6k using bt010's

GixerBoy
20-04-06, 07:02 AM
Really wish my rear tyres lasted 3-4K miles...1-1.5K miles is more the average:/

Mate,if you're only getting that sort of milage then something is seriously wrong with your pressures,tyre compound or suspension set up.
I get 3k from a rear but i do run it at 36psi.

Sinz1000K3
21-04-06, 08:52 PM
tbh..was a BTo12s on the back..12ss on the front..didnt like the front end atall..very flighty in the 3figures over bumps..shaking its head alot over modest actions of accelaration, probally due to the very soft compound and steep profile.
Using BT014's now front and back, very stable, lotsa grip on road use, never been on a track as yet, but hoping should be ok.
Could probally use a suspesion setup to suit my weight of 16st, but i never had any problems i noticed..rear tyre wear i expect to be poor with 140bhp at the back wheel, me dads zx12 and previous zzr1100 were much the same regarding rear tyre lovin:)

Gav
21-04-06, 09:13 PM
1-1.5k from a rear on a superbike isnt uncommon if riden hard on the road.
My 1st R1 with properly set up suspension running 38psi rear and 34psi front would demolish a rear tyre in less than 1k and a front in just over 1k, and im a smooth rider, not aggressive and very conservative of tyre life due to the cost. Alot of people are getting 3-6k from a rear on big bikes, but they are generaly running harder tyres or not riding as hard on the road.

Gav

GixerBoy
22-04-06, 07:15 AM
Ok you jokers! I have been running a Diablo rear,Corsa front so hardly a harder tyre!! As for not riding hard on the road,best you talk to the Swindon lot about our little ride home from the Good friday meet!!
Sinz's tyre wear could be alot to do with his weight/size and his examples (ZX12,ZZr11) are both very heavy bikes as well so thats not surprising.Gav,if you were only getting 1k from a rear tyre then i suggest you stop using a track tyre on the road and find something more suitable,soft track rubber on the road is a complete waste of time.......thought you might have known that!!

BB
22-04-06, 09:05 AM
I would agree with Gixerboy about the track tyre being wasted on the road - not to mention a waste of money. Let’s face it you are not going to be using it to its potential unless you ride like a complete idiot from the moment you leave the house - not wise on cold track tyres!

As has been said before, weight of the bike and weight of the rider make contributions to tyre wear as does suspension etc. Suggest you actually look at how you ride and how often you ride like it - 50/50% 60/40% 80/20% etc and choose a compound that is a compromise of stickiness and wear that suits the type of riding you do on the road as well as suits your pocket.

It is pointless to have a nice sticky tyre on the back and then tiptoe around because you are afraid to wear it out. Or even worse - be afraid to leave home for more than an overnighter because you will have worn the tyres out on a half decent long weekend riding!

Gav
22-04-06, 09:45 AM
Ok you jokers! I have been running a Diablo rear,Corsa front so hardly a harder tyre!! As for not riding hard on the road,best you talk to the Swindon lot about our little ride home from the Good friday meet!!
Sinz's tyre wear could be alot to do with his weight/size and his examples (ZX12,ZZr11) are both very heavy bikes as well so thats not surprising.Gav,if you were only getting 1k from a rear tyre then i suggest you stop using a track tyre on the road and find something more suitable,soft track rubber on the road is a complete waste of time.......thought you might have known that!!

That is not using a track tyre on the road, that was using normal road tyres like pilot sports...with track day tyres i was getting somewhere round the 600mile mark.....

I work in the tyre trade and seeing as little as 1-2k from a rear on a well ridden superbike is normal i affraid to say...

BB
22-04-06, 10:30 AM
I work in the tyre trade and seeing as little as 1-2k from a rear on a well ridden superbike is normal i affraid to say...

Was not aware - I'll shut up & go!

GixerBoy
22-04-06, 11:18 AM

That is not using a track tyre on the road, that was using normal road tyres like pilot sports...with track day tyres i was getting somewhere round the 600mile mark.....

Well I must be some sort of magician then and the Diablo must be the work of the devil!! :D
Have just fitted a set of M3's and if the advertising blurb is correct,am expecting even better mileage (same or better grip) than the Diablo,watch this space! :)