PDA

View Full Version : any ideas?

Dabz
29-04-06, 06:43 PM
need some help with the ongoing problems with Paul's triumph. When trying to start, the start switch just makes something tick in the engine (relay?) but nothing else happens...the starter motor does nothing and the engine doesnt even try to turn over.

we've tried a brand new battery, checked all the fuses, checked the switch etc. It was washed last weekend and has stood all week...usually it's used daily. tried spraying wd40 around the electrics to get any damp out and this fixed another issue we had with the indicators not working (spraying in the switch housing fixed it straight away)

anyone got any ideas? driving us both mad!

BB
29-04-06, 06:53 PM
The new battery didn't do the trick then. :( Did you try bumping it? Paul did mention he might. Beginning to sound like the starter motor or a connection to it.

rex_the_sprocket
29-04-06, 07:43 PM
sounds like a dodgy starter solenoid

zebedee1984
29-04-06, 08:51 PM
have you checked the regulator rectifier, this might not be working properly allowing too much heat through the electronics whilst the bike is running damaging the battery etc as it goes along, the battery might seem ok, but it might not be putting out quite enough to get the starter motor going.

the rectifier is usually attached to the frame just in front of the battery unit under the seat/tank.

zebedee1984
29-04-06, 08:52 PM
you'll know if this isn't working properly, usually because there will be visual damage and mis-colouring, mine ended up melting on my old yamaha

BB
29-04-06, 08:59 PM
I believe Paul has checked the rectifier and it looks ok. The old battery was charged up but no joy so today he got a brand new battery and it still won't start, just clicks!

blurbiker247
29-04-06, 09:19 PM
It needs a f*#kin good Basil Forte!!!! ;D

zebedee1984
29-04-06, 11:27 PM
"is a hhhamster!!!

onfire23
29-04-06, 11:46 PM
hmm would of thought rectifier...have you done a volt test from bat to recy?

Best Of British, hope you get it sorted soon.

Dabz
30-04-06, 10:17 AM
rex was spot on, we went out and Paul decided to go old skool on it, so shorted the starter solenoid across the top with a screwdriver and it came to life :D new pipes sound perfect, so just need to get a new solenoid ordered from triumph and he's back in business :D thanks for all the help everyone and a big thanks to bonnie for carrying the battery home yesterday on the back of her bike!

BB
30-04-06, 10:32 AM
No probs, glad my new rack came in handy! :) Be good if my bonnie's intermittant fault was found too!

Dabz
30-04-06, 10:44 AM
yeh that's the next challenge for our forum tech heads hehe

Dabz
06-05-06, 09:24 AM
well Paul fitted the new solenoid and it still doesn't start unless you short it with a screwdriver, main headlight also doesn't come on (only sidelight)

any further ideas? :(

rex_the_sprocket
06-05-06, 09:36 AM
I have a friend on the Aprilia forum who is the absolute whiz at these sorts of things........I'll drop him a line. He talked me through fitting a Datatool 3 over the phone.

You may remember him, Forbes Cowan, a contestant on the Worlds Strongest Man - Scottish man mountain. :o

rex_the_sprocket
06-05-06, 12:28 PM
This is what Forbes has replied with...................

TROUBLE SHOOTING
Starter motor will not run.
Step 1
1) The transmission is in neutral. Grasp the clutch lever, turn on the ignition switch with the engine stop switch in the “RUN” position.
2) Listen for a click from the starter relay when the starter button is pushed.
Is a click sound heard?

YES Go to Step 2.
NO Go to Step 3.

Step 2
1) Check if the starter motor runs when its terminal is connected to the
+ battery terminal. (Do not use thin
“wire” because a large amount of current flows.)
Does the starter motor run?
YES • Faulty starter relay
NO • Loose or disconnected starter motor

Step 3
1) Measure the starter relay voltage at the starter relay connectors (between Y/G + and B/Y -) when the starter button is pushed.
Is the voltage OK?

YES Go to Step 4.
NO
• Faulty ignition switch
• Faulty engine stop switch
• Faulty clutch lever position switch
• Faulty gear position switch
• Faulty turn signal/side-stand relay
• Faulty starter button
• Poor contact of connector
• Open circuit in wire harness

Step 4
1) Check the starter relay.

Apply 12 V to
terminals inside multi plug on the solenoid use the two terminals closest to the heavy bolt connectors, now for continuity between the positive and negative terminals using the multi circuit tester. If the starter relay clicks and continuity is found, the relay is OK

Measure the relay coil resistance between the terminals using
the multi circuit tester. If the resistance is not within the specified
value, replace the starter relay with a new one.
# Starter relay resistance: 3 – 6 [ch8486]

Is the starter relay OK?

YES Poor contact of the starter relay
NO Faulty starter relay

NOTE:
The starter motor runs when the transmission is in neutral with the side-stand up or down, but does not run
when the transmission is in any position other than neutral with the side-stand down.

2) Check the side-stand switch. (!7-17)
Is the side-stand switch OK?

YES • Open circuit in wire harness
• Poor contact of connector
NO Faulty side-stand switch

Scott_W
06-05-06, 12:54 PM
I've seen Forbes on the telly many a time! Never had him down as a biker!

Dabz
07-05-06, 09:16 AM
thanks for that mate :D we've also had a heads up that it's probably the side stand switch because it's a common fault on this bike, so I think that's what he's trying today...I'll keep you posted!