PDA

View Full Version : Diving forks

Amante_271
23-07-06, 05:44 AM
Ive just got an old GPX 250 EX and when I put the front brake on it dives REALLY badly.... 4inches worth of travel! Any (polite) surgestions?

desmojen
23-07-06, 07:28 AM
I would be inclined to check the level of the fork oil mate. It may be that it is low.
In fact it is very easy to just empty the old stuff out (it's probably very old and dirty by now) and put fresh stuff in.
If they are still way too soft, you could then put some heavier weight oil in which may help a little.
It is also a good move to check the preload setting is correct.
Changing this will not stop the forks diving, but it is as well to have everything set up properly before you go changing things! :)

Hope that helps you,

Jen.

Amante_271
23-07-06, 08:55 AM
Cheers! Will have a go when I get a sec! How easy is it too upgrade the springs if necessary?

HC8
23-07-06, 09:36 AM
I would be inclined to check the level of the fork oil mate. It may be that it is low.
In fact it is very easy to just empty the old stuff out (it's probably very old and dirty by now) and put fresh stuff in.
If they are still way too soft, you could then put some heavier weight oil in which may help a little.
It is also a good move to check the preload setting is correct.
Changing this will not stop the forks diving, but it is as well to have everything set up properly before you go changing things! :)

Hope that helps you,

Jen.

what about checking the seals, no good changing the oil if the bloody seals leak, through being old and perished, it will just come squirting (love that word) back out and dive again.

desmojen
23-07-06, 02:55 PM
Checking and/or changing the forks seals as necessary is a given. Sorry for forgetting to mention it!

Changing the springs is a ten minute job on most right way up forks, notthing to worry about at all.

Jen.