PDA

View Full Version : Chain Cleaner

Rod
23-07-06, 03:51 PM
Hi thanks for all the advice with chain Lube, went for Wurth in the end as it was the fisrt one Recommended to me on the shelf. It seems very good, not much throw -off.

Anyway, thought I would go the whole hog and give it a good clean as well. It is not too dirty just a bit of a build up of old lube, what do you guys recomend as a cleaner prior to lube?

Thanks...........Rod 8-)

Mac
23-07-06, 03:56 PM
Try wurth again...i used it on mine and was chuffed to bits with the result..

Rod
23-07-06, 05:25 PM
Thanks Mac , Stupid me never thought of using the same brand :-[

b_1_rd
23-07-06, 05:33 PM
Paraffin is pretty good at chain cleaning, no smoking though ;)

GixerBoy
23-07-06, 09:45 PM

But not on an O ring chain eh Bird........ :o

b_1_rd
23-07-06, 09:55 PM

But not on an O ring chain eh Bird........ :o

Doh! :-[ Why's that then....I'm not takin the mick here, just wasn't aware of that!

GixerBoy
23-07-06, 09:59 PM
Because paraffin will damage the rubber 'O' rings in the chain..... ::)

b_1_rd
23-07-06, 10:06 PM
Ahh! DONT USE PARAFFIN then Rod! (Cheers GB)

Sorry.

I was just going on advice from a web site which says....

Don't use harsh solvents, like gasoline, because they can ruin the O-Rings. Spray or wipe your chain with kerosene. The best part about using kerosene is that it will clean your chain amazingly quick, saving you lots of time. I usually use an old rag and soak it with kerosene and wipe it over the chain until the chain is clean.

:-[

GixerBoy
23-07-06, 10:10 PM
And what is paraffin if its not a 'harsh' solvent........Duh!
Just use proper chain cleaner,its does exactly what it sez on the tin! ;)

(Friggin yanks,what do they know anyway!) ::) :o

desmojen
23-07-06, 11:05 PM
I bought some proper chain cleaner and it was crap! I obviously bought the wrong stuff!
I always use paraffin on my O ring chains and have never had any trouble of any kind with it, apart from it getting everywhere that is!
I also find WD40 is excellent if the chain is not heavily soiled (which mine normally isn't)

P.S. I think you should think of paraffin more as a light oil than a harsh solvent, and what do you think chain cleaner is????

GixerBoy
23-07-06, 11:09 PM
Its a 'proper' harsh cleaner cheeky mare ::) and WD is even worse for the 'o' rings than Pariffin......Cheap is what you is girl!! :o ;)

desmojen
24-07-06, 09:48 AM
Lol, if only you knew! ;D

GixerBoy
24-07-06, 11:15 AM

Ooooh.......... :o

R1chie
24-07-06, 11:59 AM

Edmonds knows plenty about lubrication I've heard ;D

GixerBoy
24-07-06, 12:13 PM
Tis true,back in the day I........ :o ;D ;) You don't wanna hear about it....... ::)

rex_the_sprocket
24-07-06, 12:47 PM
I spray a bit of WD40 on a rag and give the chain a wipe when it starts to get grubby. Ideally you shouldn't let the chain get so nasty that it needs a proper de-greasing. If it gets that bad I would replace the chain.

I learned a lesson of not maintaining a chain a few years ago.................went for a ride on Boxing day on my beloved YZF750 then put it back in the shed a waited for the snow to clear. Several weeks later on a ride to work the chain snapped at 85mph.........i ignored the fact that there were obvious tight spots, the chain was bone dry and some of the links were decidedly rusty.

I was lucky cos the broken chain flew up and ripped the arse end of my bike off rather than wrap itself around my leg or the back wheel

GixerBoy
24-07-06, 01:21 PM
Well we won't be taking any advice off of you then Sprocket Boy.......And stop using WD40 on your chain muppett........You lot are sooooooo lazy! :o
You know I actually use Castrol chain wax to clean my chain.......But then I never let it get that dirty!! :)

desmojen
24-07-06, 02:42 PM
Out of interest, where/why do you get the info that WD40 is bad for the chain?

I can understand your concerns re. paraffin/kerosene etc, but I'm confused as to why WD is bad news.

Just askin :)

Jen.

R1chie
24-07-06, 02:50 PM
What it WILL do if you spray it directly on the chain, is penetrate PAST the O rings and remove the grease contained within, by virtue of the fact it is a penatrating oil, and contains a solvent.

Spray it on a rag first and the solvent evapourates very quickly and leaves just the oily residue with which you can safely clean the chain.

Rod
24-07-06, 06:20 PM
Mmmm I think I have heard plenty ( Ha Ha ). Thanks, guys, I take on board what yer sayin' and good wd takes some beating, I never thought of it as a cleaner, but it's great for getting chain lube throw-off from wheels etc....Rod

Snowy
24-07-06, 06:44 PM
So we've had the tyre and chain grease thread (I do still have a bike which needs that stuff) - anyone going to start the "which oil do you use in your engine" thread? Just kiddin.....

GixerBoy
24-07-06, 08:54 PM
What it WILL do if you spray it directly on the chain, is penetrate PAST the O rings and remove the grease contained within, by virtue of the fact it is a penatrating oil, and contains a solvent.

Spray it on a rag first and the solvent evapourates very quickly and leaves just the oily residue with which you can safely clean the chain.

Thanks for that NinjaBrat.......Like I need backing up goddamit....Huh! :o :-? :D

russ100
24-07-06, 11:06 PM
i ignored the fact that there were obvious tight spots

ok, hands up - im still learning, how do you know there are tight spots ? Im always a bit paranoid about getting the right tension etc

SkyJawa
25-07-06, 11:51 PM

Exactly, I've know of people who have used WD40 for years on their chain and never had an issue!

GixerBoy
26-07-06, 08:51 AM
Never had an issue with what exactly??? That they were damaging their chain and didn't even know it???
WD40 is a electrical moisture displacer first and foremost and and aniti-corrision agent and penetrator second.
Sure,it can clean crap off of your chain and it can/will DAMAGE YOUR CHAIN IN THE PROCESS!!
So,to sum up,buy a PROPER chain cleaner,thats what they're made for........
Lets hope we all understand that now eh......... :o :-?

Right,just to show that I'm not trying to force MY opinion down all of your throats (really I hear you all say??) I have found this article which if you're interested you can read and then make up your OWN mind.......http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motorcycle-chain-cleaner/

Enjoy! :)

Thread now locked. GB.