PDA

View Full Version : Honda servicing

ChantelleT
19-07-06, 08:53 PM
Can anybody recommend anywhere tht is good for getting a CBR600 serviced. Never had the bike serviced so not really too clued up on best garages to go to. (Price wise too). Was thinkin fowlers til i heard them refered to as fowlups
thanks

R1chie
19-07-06, 09:00 PM
there's place down in salisbury which may help.

the honda dealership has closed down, but the 2 senior mechanics have set up their own workshop around the corner.

i'll try and find out what name they are going under nowadays if you like

evilkeneval
19-07-06, 09:22 PM
have you tried taylor racing chippenahm or calne?

b_1_rd
19-07-06, 11:26 PM
Steve Lynham in Swindon seemed pretty good. I've only had the MOT done there, but has been recommended to me by a number of people.

Kingsdown Rd
Swindon
SN25 6PB

01793 820630

R1chie
19-07-06, 11:32 PM
Steve Lynham in Swindon seemed pretty good. I've only had the MOT done there, but has been recommended to me by a number of people.

Kingsdown Rd
Swindon
SN25 6PB

01793 820630

nooooooooooooooooooooo

apart from Steve and one other (GB knows his name) who works there.............the rest i wouldn't trust again to work on my bike after i took it up there a few weeks ago.

cheap but somewhat under standard service IMO

b_1_rd
20-07-06, 01:45 AM
Oh well, there goes that idea then! Seems like everywhere thats suggested these days, someone has a bad experience from there. I'm not sure I trust my bike with anyone! Think I'll be doing most stuff myself, then if it goes wrong, I can't blame anyone else!

Gav
20-07-06, 08:38 AM
Bike Treads
Unit 7 Ash
Kembrey Park
Swindon

We can do it at a very competitive price

desmojen
20-07-06, 10:13 AM
I took Lees ZXR to Steve Lynham to get the valve clearances done. Bearing in mind that it was completely stripped, even to point of the cam cover being off, and he still somehow managed to charge us £86!
Sorry, but that aint cheap, nor is it good service.
I really dispair for people who can't do it themselves since every bike shop I've been to seems out to make a quick buck from us.
And that includes Biketreads!! (£30 to fit a pair of supplied tyres to loose rims when I was quoted £12)

Jen.

ONFIRE
20-07-06, 10:46 AM
Bike Treads
Unit 7 Ash
Kembrey Park
Swindon

We can do it at a very competitive price
:-/
;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Gav
20-07-06, 01:25 PM
I took Lees ZXR to Steve Lynham to get the valve clearances done. Bearing in mind that it was completely stripped, even to point of the cam cover being off, and he still somehow managed to charge us £86!
Sorry, but that aint cheap, nor is it good service.
I really dispair for people who can't do it themselves since every bike shop I've been to seems out to make a quick buck from us.
And that includes Biketreads!! (£30 to fit a pair of supplied tyres to loose rims when I was quoted £12)

Jen.

Sorry to hear that you think the local bike shops are over charging, but you have to bear in mind that they are a business and you run a business to make money not do everyone a favour.
As for the valve clearences...well you did the easy bit, the time is taken in measunig the gap, removing the cams, replacing the shims putting it all back togehter and re measuring it...evan with the bike in a stipped state it is still a good 2hours work.....if you think 86quid is high, take it to a mian dealer and you will realise how cheap you actually got it done,

As for 30qui for a pair of tyres you supplied fitted and balanced...im going to assume they where new tyres supplied elsewhere....as i said before its a business....take a packet of bugers you bought in tesco to McDonalds and ask them to cook them......
We charge £10 to fit a tyre supplied by yourself onto a loose rim and £5 to balance.....2 wheels=£30
As the business is so seasonal no where bar the big dealers can afford to operate at a loss or not charge for work carried out, if we are not making money in selling tyres then we have to make it elsewhere and it is not unreasonable to charge for a service we can provide....
Rant over..

Now as for the servicing the Honda which this thread is all about, all the above mentioned places will be able to do the job for you, the main dealers will charge you main dealer prices though.
We will charge around the £120 for a small service(everything apart from valve clearences)
and £200ish for a full service to include clearences.
Hope this is of some help.

desmojen
20-07-06, 02:48 PM
Sorry to hear that you think the local bike shops are over charging, but you have to bear in mind that they are a business and you run a business to make money not do everyone a favour.
As for the valve clearences...well you did the easy bit, the time is taken in measunig the gap, removing the cams, replacing the shims putting it all back togehter and re measuring it...evan with the bike in a stipped state it is still a good 2hours work.....if you think 86quid is high, take it to a mian dealer and you will realise how cheap you actually got it done,

As for 30qui for a pair of tyres you supplied fitted and balanced...im going to assume they where new tyres supplied elsewhere....as i said before its a business....take a packet of bugers you bought in tesco to McDonalds and ask them to cook them......
We charge £10 to fit a tyre supplied by yourself onto a loose rim and £5 to balance.....2 wheels=£30
As the business is so seasonal no where bar the big dealers can afford to operate at a loss or not charge for work carried out, if we are not making money in selling tyres then we have to make it elsewhere and it is not unreasonable to charge for a service we can provide....
Rant over..

Now as for the servicing the Honda which this thread is all about, all the above mentioned places will be able to do the job for you, the main dealers will charge you main dealer prices though.
We will charge around the £120 for a small service(everything apart from valve clearences)
and £200ish for a full service to include clearences.
Hope this is of some help.

Sorry to cause you to rant Gav. I would begrudge paying £30 for my tyres far less if I had been quoted £30, but I wasn't I was quoted £3 on £3 off for each wheel, £12.
Likewise Steve Lynham. He quoted me £50. You do not have to remove the cams on the ZXR to replace the shims since the rockers move to one side on springs. The only reason I took it there was to save me the bother of having to order shims to do it myself. Needless to say I will not make that mistake again.
It's a shame, as I had heard some good words said of Steve Lynhams place in general.
If there's one thing I hate, it's when people quote one price and then charge another!

As Gav said though, all of the places mentioned could do the service for you chantelle.

Jen.

evilkeneval
20-07-06, 07:05 PM
if it's relevent i've had a lot of bad experiance with bristol kawasaki.
They didn't take well to my zxr400 (import). they gave it an mot and told me it was ready for collection, so i traveled the 30odd miles to get there they so they could bring the bike out to find the headlights didn't work!
far be it for me to question the fact that headlights must work to pass mot! they took it back and charged me for a new fuse box!
The bike then worked for the 500 miles, now it's been sat in my garage awaiting yet another oil cooler.

mike
20-07-06, 08:13 PM
I first used Steve Lynham in 1981 when he was working out of his home garage in Highworth (Suzuki AP50!!). He did good work then. Took up a ZZR1100 2 years back that the big ends had gone on, and was part dismantled (I got the bike off a mate who couldn't be bothered to sort it). He got a reconned crank, fitted new big end shells, rebuilt the bike and delivered it down to Devizes. Quote was £500. Bill was £500. I can't fault that price for the work involved. I wasn't impressed with one of his youngsters whenever I went there as he was as sullen as hell & unhelpful. But, Steve did a good job and was true to his word, so I'd recommend him.
The other alternative is Marcus at Wayside Garage (01380 860272) nr Devizes. Generally booked up for a few weeks in advance, but good service, and you get the work done by Marcus, or sons Ollie or Tommy (BSB & B Supersport respectively). Marcus used to tune all their race bikes before the Vivaldi sponsorship, so he knows his stuff.

ChantelleT
21-07-06, 06:06 PM
Reluctant to take it to Taylors after I took it to have the front wheel replaced. It came back with the front pads binding on the discs. Needs a gorilla to push the bike because its so stiff. Not taking it back there!!!!! Nobody recommend Fowlers then??

bazzashazza
21-07-06, 06:30 PM
i take mine to wayside in etchilhampton nr devizes u mite not get the authorised dealership stamp but they do a great job and the prices are as standard if not cheaper. mines booked in for its service/mot on monday, last time i took it there the chain was a state and he cleaned it up so well it looked brand new, was so pleased :D

mike
21-07-06, 10:14 PM
How are you getting the MOT done at Wayside? They aren't a test station! Will they take it down to Wildmans at Urchfont for the MOT?

Got the CBR600 MOT'd today, 3 weeks after getting it from Simon for nought! A bit tatty but goes OK and is now back on the road after a few years resting.

bazzashazza
22-07-06, 11:50 AM
not a clue, i just spoke to the lady on the fone and said can i get it mot'd too and she said she'd put it in the book, i'm sure she would of said or rang me back if they couldn't do it... worried now!

mike
22-07-06, 08:47 PM
I shouldn't worry! They've either become a test station which I doubt, or they'll take it to Urchfont. They'll do a good job whatever.

bazzashazza
22-07-06, 11:27 PM
feel better now, thanks :D

igbell
08-08-06, 01:29 PM
I have to say that I live in Swindon and I have Bike Treads, George Whites, Steve Lynham, and then I have a few on the outskirts of like in Cricklade and down in Brinkworth.

But out of all of them I use Bike Treads, they have been very good to me even when they messed up and told me my bike was fine when the R/R was on its way out and I had to get a 3rd Batt to keep me on the road, they gave me a free Batt and just charged me for the R/R and no labour.

I just got some tyres this Sat from them and on the net I found the cheapest rear for my bike was £115, yet Bike Treads sold me one for £85, so i would say they are well priced as well.

So this Thursday they will be working on my VFR800 to install a new Head Race Bearing.