PDA

View Full Version : Heat Issue

igbell
08-08-06, 01:35 PM
Hello all, I was wondering if any of you have had this issue or know what it might be.

I have a VFR800 that has been running hot even when it is not that hot outside, I ride to work at about 6:50 in the morning and at this time it has not been over hot outside, but at points tha bike has even got to boiling point.
The Fan does kick in and cool it down, but when I come home at 4:30 I get home to find tha bike boiling over and pee'ing water all over the place, and yes the fan is running at this point.
The first time i had this was last year when we were down in Lyon in France and the heat was up in the 42c's and it has not been right since.

Do any of you have any ideas or any tests I can do please??

desmojen
08-08-06, 02:18 PM
You need to check that the water pump is working properly and also that the thermostat is opening fully as it should.
If you have a manual it will detail exactly how to check these things.

Jen.

b_1_rd
08-08-06, 02:22 PM
I had a similar problem with the ZZR. I drained the system right out, flushed it through and put some new coolant fluid in, and ever since, she's been fine. Maybe worth a shot, before replacing any parts. :)

mike
08-08-06, 05:53 PM
As Desmojen says. Lucky the fans are working!

evilkeneval
08-08-06, 11:15 PM
i would have to agree, i had that with the 400, turned out it was a lack of anti freeze/coolent in the system

igbell
09-08-06, 08:30 AM
Thanx for youe advice on this, I will get a manual and find out how to get to the thermostat so I can test this.
I will bleed the system and refill, but I would of thought by the amount of water that has leaked out and I have replaced (with coolant) it would have been fine by now, but I have not flushed it either, so could be worth a try.

Snowy
09-08-06, 04:50 PM
Do you know where the coolant is leaking from? If it's engine side of the thermostat then it's probably that, but if it's the other side probably the pump.

igbell
09-08-06, 08:36 PM
I t coming out of the over flow pipes under the engine

desmojen
09-08-06, 09:49 PM
It will be coming out of the overflows because of the overheating. The cause of the overheating is more likely to be a thermostat or water pump issue. You said you had been topping up so I ruled out coolant shortage as the problem, plus, you will need to pretty much drain the system to check the components anyway so buy some proper coolant to replace it with after. You could also flush it if you feel the need while you're there.
Cheers,
Jen.