PDA

View Full Version : Breakdown recovery

Snowy
30-07-06, 10:22 PM
Thinking about joining one of the breakdown companies, AA, RAC etc., mostly because my car hit 180k miles today. Anyone care to recommend one that has done well with bikes?

russ100
30-07-06, 10:45 PM
Ive been picked up by the RAC twice on the bike and both times they have sent a local recovery company truck ... so its down to how good they are. In the car, the RAC have always come quite quickly and try to do as much repair work themselves rather than taking you to a garage, which can sometimes save some cash.

BTW - dont ever put diesel in your car/bike because they wont recover you home, even if you have home start. They will take you to the nearest garage within a 10/20 mile radius, which on a sunday isnt much use !

evilkeneval
31-07-06, 12:51 AM
I'm with the RAC (£117p/y) which includes onward travel up to 3 days (i had a car from them for 4 and wasn't billed). I've been recoverd by them twice on the bike, there slow and they subcontract but they are the cheapest for the level of cover they provide.
In the car, RAC have left me at night on the m60 for 1 and a half hours in the freezing cold. took them 7hours to get me home!

LOL russ, not a good idea!

HC8
31-07-06, 03:12 PM
Thinking about joining one of the breakdown companies, AA, RAC etc., mostly because my car hit 180k miles today. Anyone care to recommend one that has done well with bikes?

I would recommend RAC too, mainly because i've had a few bad experiences with the AA but also because if you
don't use them RAC give a discount which increases every year to a point (dunno which point though) last year my discount took it down to about £80 from the £117 - then had to use it the other day coz i dropped the guzzi.

Other thing to do is swop between them every year for their different deals

Snowy
31-07-06, 11:18 PM
Thanks guys for the input. Nice idea HC, maybe chop and change every year like I do with insurance as well.

Rod
02-08-06, 07:07 PM
I have RAC, I assume it covers bikes as well as cars, as they say it's the member not the motor.

evilkeneval
03-08-06, 12:45 AM
if you do use them for the bike, their mechanics can't really do much for you, best thing to do is tell them to send a flat bed stright out, otherwise they send a van to you (2hours) and then they can't do anything so send for a flat bed (another 2 hours)!

NinjaSi
03-08-06, 12:03 PM
We're with Direct line / Green flag includes personnal cover for what ever car / bike we are in /on. theres also a No claims discount.

Icey
04-08-06, 01:22 PM
I have RAC, I assume it covers bikes as well as cars, as they say it's the member not the motor.

I was just thinking about this, we have breakdown for the car, but I've no idea wether it goes across to the bike. :-/

/me *edit*

We are with AA for the car - and they're superb, always helpful and usually very quick. Even when Chris has locked his keys in the car ::)

ONFIRE
06-08-06, 09:14 PM

I was just thinking about this, we have breakdown for the car, but I've no idea wether it goes across to the bike. :-/

/me *edit*

We are with AA for the car - and they're superb, always helpful and usually very quick. Even when Chris has locked his keys in the car ::)

T&C's ::)

b_1_rd
08-08-06, 01:34 AM
I used NCI (http://www.ncionline.co.uk/) for a couple of years who were very competative on price and pretty good to deal with. Thankfully I never actually used them in anger but I guess they'd contract out to local recovery services like many of them do. The policy I had covered me, so if I were using the car or the bike I could use them if necessary. :)

igbell
09-08-06, 09:41 AM
I am with the RAC and have had no problems with tham at all, they have sent a flat bed to me when the R/R went on the bike and got me home with no issues, and they also make shifted the gearbox on the car to get me home as well, so all in all they have been the bees knees.

They are expensive to cover your bike when you go abroad through.

I used to be with Green Flag and they were good but they didnt cover bikes back then, was about 6 years or so ago now through.

Rod
09-08-06, 07:19 PM

/me *edit*

T&C's ::)
I checked, the RAC covers the member (careful) not the vechical, so it's ok for bikes and cars, I have used the AA, not impressed but the RAC were most excellent, 1 callout with the AA not good, 2 with the RAC, very good, they even help if you are a passenger in a car

Snowy
14-08-06, 10:40 AM
Thanks for all the input, hints & tips guys - seemed the RAC had most positive responses, so have joined them.