PDA

View Full Version : Bike seeks diagnosis

Nokesy
21-10-06, 12:13 PM
Hi guys - finally got internet - just in time to post my bike problem. Last couple of days is behaving like it is running out of fuel (it's not - I checked!). Eventually cuts out, I turn it onto prime and life is sweet again - any ideas? Have replaced spark plugs, checked air filter (bone dry) and WD40'd coils. Planning to remove tank this afternoon and check diaphragm - would appreciate any help to avoid this arduous task - it's raining and I'm quite happy playing on my new internet toy!! Help! :(

JamesHockley
21-10-06, 06:16 PM
The issue has been resolved, lets just call it a fueling glitch!

Gemma had only been doing very short (3 miles a day) trips so instead of doing 140 miles on a tank it only did a 100! It has been given a good run and we are going to make sure it get a good run every week to keep running OK. The bike did get mini service in the process of finding out the fact it had run out of gas! To be fair to Gemma three blokes (including one who use to own a motorcylce dealership) could not figure out it had run out of petrol!

BB
21-10-06, 07:06 PM
Ah well, these things happen, its easy to forget the bike doesn't do a set mpg regardless of the length of the trip/speed/etc. Sounds like you want to ressurrect that old classic bike trick of taking the lid off, shaking the bike & listening to the sloshing noise - or lack thereof! I shall probably still be doing that out of habit despite having a fuel gauge on the new beast!

BB

Nokesy
22-10-06, 11:33 AM
However, doesn't stop them all taking the piss and shaking their heads at me!!!

BB
22-10-06, 12:23 PM
Hey, just ignore them! If they were so smart they should have figured it out sooner!

My late husband could fix anything at the side of the road and was one clever & well respected bloke but he held the record for running out of fuel in most county's in the UK and most of the countries in europe! I couldn't begin to tell you the amount of times we rambled up & down the side of the road looking for a discarded can to use to decant fuel from my bike or someone else's into his! ;D

BB

Tommy
22-10-06, 12:28 PM
Sounds like a fuel problem mate have you ran the tank to nearly empty recently ? can kick sediment into the system, fuel filter and carb drain might be worth a look.
Good luck

Amante_271
24-10-06, 10:33 AM
These things happen to the best of us! Somebody I know ::) was going to go to the Pink meet on his bike with a pink feather boa(!) but couldnt get the bike to start for love nor money & ended up killing the battery trying to get it to fire! Sloshed the tank to find plenty of fuel. Kept checking the plugs, wires, leads etc.... nothing wrong!

Eventually a neighbour popped round a few weeks later after hearing about the problem and turned the fuel tap to the ON position and the bike fired up as sweet as a nut!!!! :-[ :o

Somebody's wife p*ssed herself laughing!!!