PDA

View Full Version : Bulbs Blinking

igbell
10-10-06, 01:11 PM
Hello all,

Sunday night I was ridding home from my Bro's, and on the way home I could see that the headlamps and the dash was flickering.
I thought to start with that it was down to the Batt not being fully charged and so when putting power on it would flicker, but this was not the case as when I was putting on the juice it was doing it as well. Also when I got home I sat it in the garage and just kept the throttle on and it still did it.

I have a Honda VFR800, I have had the Reg/Rec changed last year (as it did the norm of blowing the batt and then taking itself with it, and leaving me on the side of the road on the way down to the New Forest on a Bank Holiday).

Anybody have any ideas???

HC8
10-10-06, 01:52 PM
Here's me stating the obvious - loose/bad earth!

ONFIRE
10-10-06, 03:52 PM
Aliens?

Rectifier or Wiring Loom :-/

ChantelleT
10-10-06, 07:28 PM
maybe u drunk to much and left your indicator on??? [hehe]

igbell
11-10-06, 10:08 AM
All good ideas, apart from the drinking one, as I am a good boy and dont drink and ride.

Rod
12-10-06, 09:01 PM
All good ideas, apart from the drinking one, as I am a good boy and dont drink and ride.
Don't blame you, it slops all over the tank ;D

igbell
12-11-06, 06:28 PM
Ok Peeps, I have called Honda George Whites and the tech told me that there is two Possibilities that it could be on this type of bike (VFR800 1999). :)
There is a PCB behind the dash that gets cacked in crud as it is open to the wild and crud gets up onto it from the front wheel, this causes a poblem with the connections.
Next it could well be the Reg/Rec again, as it looks as though the garage that fitted it put on a non standard part, as the real macoy cost about £200 from Honda and I paid £75 with fitting.
So they gave me a test to do which is to run the bike and put a volt meter on the batt terminals and see if it come out with 14 - 14.5v.
Now I forgot to ask is this with the lights and stuff on or with everything off?? :-?
I did the test just now and with the lights and all off it comes out at 14 - 14.5v no worries, but with the lights on it maxes at about 13.89v and drops even further if I slap the heated grips on as well.
Any ideas if my readings are right or not??
I have not had chance to look at the PCB yet as I have been painting the Lounge today and left it until it was getting dark to look at the bike. :(