PDA

View Full Version : Help

Genisis
10-12-06, 08:03 PM
hey all,
Just wondering took my bike out a few times today and 2 times when i get back home the battery is flat leave it for 10-15mins and it starts fine,
Last trip i started the bike and put the brake light on so i got the slight dim and reved the engine a little but the lights didn't get brighter.
Any ideas i was gonna stick the battery on charge for abit see if that helps.
Thanks

FJ_Biker
11-12-06, 12:22 AM
My first stop would be to clean the battery terminals and put a bit of petroleum jelly on them to stop the furring. Sounds like a connection problem to me.

You could put a voltmeter across the battery and turn the engine over and see if you get a big volt drop i.e to fewer than 6 volts (then you know the battery is stuffed). If you get no volt drop when you turn the engine you know you have a bad connection.

Hope this is of some help Taff

Genisis
11-12-06, 01:26 AM
Hi, I did a few tests
1. Checked the battery voltage with a multimeter and got about 10.??v
2. Started the bike and it dropped to around 6 volts while the starter was spinning.
3. Once started the battery level went up to 10.?? again but never higher. ( i was expecting 13-14v)
i have now charged the battery and it's now reading 11.00v about 2-3 hours on charge but still get nothing near 13-14 when i start the bike.
i disconected the alternator and tried to test for voltage got nothing out but not sure if i did this correct. mutlimeter across the 2 wires coming out of the alternator funny feeling i needed to earth my multimeter but not sure.
only thing im not sure on is if the battery was shot i'm under the impression i should still get the charging voltage of 13-14v on about 2000revs+ or would the battery suck this up?

only other thing i can think of is that uptill about 2weeks ago i had alternator belt squeal which has now gone but i'm gonna guess that the battery would go dead before then as i run the bike everyday for about 20miles each day to work.

Also had some electric faults that ment i had to keep starting the bike to test the fault the battery went dead 1-2 times quick charge then took it out for a spin and all was fine no dim lights flat batterys.

GixerBoy
11-12-06, 11:47 AM
Alternator belt squeal on a bike???
If you do need a battery,The Battery Shop in Manchester Road will do you a good deal.

Genisis
11-12-06, 12:51 PM
Aye for some unknow reason Kawasaki fitted my bike with a Belt driven Alternator.
Great fun and from the sounds of it i need a very special tool to adjust it or else i will burn out the Belt.
Just secured a lift into work this week so i might just leave it to steve lynham ;p