PDA

View Full Version : which tyres?

Dabz
29-08-06, 12:45 PM
I have bridgestone BT010's on at the mo and I'm struggling to remove a flatspot on the rear tyre (put there by previous owner!). These have been superceded by BT014's now which are apparently very good, but does anyone else have any recommendations? need a tyre for normal road use, needs to be good in the wet with a strong compound to avoid flat spots (I'll be doing a fair bit of motorway riding soon)

Scott_W
29-08-06, 01:33 PM
I think there was a recent tyre debate on here mate.... people were pro and against the BT014's, but have a quick look at that thread and you should get some ideas.

Gav
29-08-06, 09:32 PM
If you like the feel of the 010's then the 014 is the same with more grip and a more progressive feel, if on the other hand you dont like them might be a good time to change to another make...
As such with todays technology there are no bad tyres out there, but they all feel different and some you will like, some you wont.
So its really upto you....
If its any help you wont go far wrong with the 014's IMO!

ONFIRE
29-08-06, 10:17 PM
If you like the feel of the 010's then the 014 is the same with more grip and a more progressive feel, if on the other hand you dont like them might be a good time to change to another make...
As such with todays technology there are no bad tyres out there, but they all feel different and some you will like, some you wont.

Tip if you go for BT014's make sure they are fitted correctly ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Stu
29-08-06, 10:24 PM

Tip if you go for BT014's make sure they are fitted correctly ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

What fat one to the back??

BouncingBunny
29-08-06, 10:25 PM
if the fat ones on the front it's a goldwing!

Stu
29-08-06, 10:26 PM
well if thats the case it doesn't matter as they handle like a barge anyway

BouncingBunny
29-08-06, 10:32 PM
behave Stu, you know as well as me that a barge will turn on a sixpence compared to a wing :)

Amante_271
30-08-06, 09:46 AM
Thats why some of the Aspen-carts have a reverse gear!!

desmojen
02-09-06, 06:15 PM
You want good mileage with good grip and wet grip try the BT020, probably the best road tyre out there imo!

GixerBoy
02-09-06, 06:25 PM
Don't Bridgestone market the BT020 as a touring tyre Jen??? :o ;D ;)

desmojen
02-09-06, 06:42 PM
Indeed they do, but I can vouch for them mate, don't worry!

Why pigeon hole things anyway, that's for those who are short of sight isn't it?

Jen.

GixerBoy
02-09-06, 06:44 PM
If you say so Jen but i'd rather have something with a bit more gripski under my butt thank you very much!! :o :D ;)

desmojen
02-09-06, 06:54 PM
Lol, whatever mate. This was for Dabz as I recall, and speaking as someone who has lapped Cadwell at under two minutes on BT020's I can vouch for the grip too ;)

Now stopp hogging someone elses thread and go clean your bike or something ;D

Jen.

GixerBoy
02-09-06, 06:56 PM
Ok...... :'( :'( :'(
Going out in a bit anyway so the forum is yours my dear!! ;) :-*

So ONLY 30 seconds off of the Superstock pace then Jen..........Ahem....... :o :o :o :P ;D ;)

Stu
02-09-06, 07:24 PM
So ONLY 30 seconds off of the Superstock pace then Jen..........Ahem....... :o :o :o :P ;D ;)

But that's still 5 secs faster than you :D :D

desmojen
02-09-06, 07:58 PM
Ok...... :'( :'( :'(
Going out in a bit anyway so the forum is yours my dear!! ;) :-*

Yawn ::)

Jen.

Edited, decided not to rise to it ;)

Toecutter
02-09-06, 09:01 PM
Fit standard Diablos as they are superb in ALL weathers

rex_the_sprocket
03-09-06, 05:39 PM
Dabz - I have used 010's, 020's, 012ss and 014's in various combinations. Unless you are going to do a large amount of trackdays then the 014's are just lovely. They warm up fairly quickly, are good in the wet, and as a road tyre they are very good. If you are planning on doing mainly motorway miles and long distance stuff then 020's are better.

I had a Firestorm with 010 on the front and 020 on the rear and that was a good compromise.

jonnydangerous
14-12-06, 12:22 PM
I agreed with Rex the tractor boy, you really do want a stickier tyre on the front, much easier to survive a rear wheel slip than a front!!!.... its a shame "sports touring" tyres have a bad name with so many bikers, as they are really good! most of us will never ride to their limits, especially not on the road. previously i used 020's on an EXUP RU, and they were fine....and i used to give them a good pasting!

Dabz
14-12-06, 01:20 PM
I'd decided on the 020s, but now I'm thinking about opting for the 014s...only because they look nicer (lol?) and sports tyres might encourage me to lean more to stop the flat spot!

GixerBoy
14-12-06, 01:38 PM
Do you need to get them before christmas mate??

Dabz
14-12-06, 01:40 PM
nah don't have the money at the mo :( probably january, though I have insurance renewal then hehe. not sure how much they'll be tbh

GixerBoy
14-12-06, 01:41 PM
Lets see where your at then over christmas and go from there..........020 it is then!! ;D ;D ;D

Dabz
14-12-06, 03:37 PM
hehe I'll be sliding around all over the place at christmas cuz I have a bald flatspot to deal with ;) (my excuse...)

GixerBoy
14-12-06, 05:09 PM
Started already........ ::) ;D ;)

Steev
18-12-06, 12:40 AM
Hey dabs, I may be able to help you out here. I dont know if this is good practice or not but if it is you could probably have a free trial of b20's. When I get my fazer back from GW's AGAIN I will be swapping my part worn b20's for at least B14 if not stickier. I have lost both ends on these tyres. I am not blaming the tyres for my off's but I beleive the combination of my suspension and the power of the bike and the way I was riding made them let go. So thay have a good few miles left in them and they are not flatspotted at all. You can pull up to any biker meet with these on mate, as there is no chicken strips on them, they have been scrubbed to the rim.

Anyway I digress, I probably wont get the bike back until Jan anyway so if its deemed by the experts on here to be safe to use part worn on another bike then you can have them to see if you like them, because I will never ride with them in anger again. My rear is a 180 section, is that the same as yor TT?

Keep in touch and I'll let you know when they are available, either that or they will be in the bin

Cheers

Steev

Dabz
18-12-06, 09:41 AM
I think mine's 180 yeh, that'd be great! What do the experts think then? :P Thanks Steev :D

GixerBoy
18-12-06, 10:46 AM
Experts.....Eh? :-/
Should be ok Dabz,give them a good look over for any sidewall damage as Steev has been trying to get his rims down quite a bit lately...... :o ;)

Nice gesture Steev,come and see me when your ready for a new set,get you a good deal mate.

Steev
05-01-07, 04:44 PM
Hello Dabz, just keeping you in the picture mate,

I should get my bike back next week if GW's get my zorst in. I have secured new rubber for it (with GB's help) so if all goes well you could have the b20's in a couple of weeks if you still want them.

Let me know what you want to do.

Cheers

Steev.

Dabz
05-01-07, 05:02 PM
that sounds great mate, thanks :D still running on flat spotted, bald tyres at the mo...or not actually as it's making me avoid riding the bike at all :(

BB
05-01-07, 07:19 PM
And you just offered me the keys!! :o ::)

BB

Dabz
06-01-07, 11:13 AM
good point lol! the offer stands post=tyre-fitting!