PDA

View Full Version : Training - refresher course

BB
11-01-07, 11:56 PM
Well, I decided I needed some refresher work as I am out on a new bike and despite trying to get together to do some riding work GB and I were unable to. We live over 30 miles apart and despite GB's best efforts either the weather changed or my fitness problems or time constraints etc seemed to prevent us meeting up. So I decided to book a course with a local company http://www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk as they do a 1 to 1 ‘Saferider’ training course.

I decided I needed a spot of professional assistance as I haven’t really done anything since I passed my test in the 80’s apart from Bikesafe with Wiltshire Police last May. It seemed appropriate to do it now as I am really only just getting back into the swing of things after my off last July. I have only done a couple of hundred miles over the last two months or so due to my fitness – or should I say lack of fitness. I am still getting used to a new bike with totally different characteristics. I wrote off a 2004 Bonneville and now have 2006 FZ1 – only very slightly different!! :o

I found working with Mark very useful, he is approachable and friendly, explains things very well and also has a good fund of interesting stories to illustrate his points. He is also keen to hear your views and enter into discussion about any aspect of biking. Via an earpiece, Mark gave directions as well as a commentary on what he was doing and why when he was leading, and also gave a commentary when I was leading. I found this gave a really useful comparison to what I was noting or doing compared to him. Overall I was pleased with my performance and it was good to get an independent and structured view of my riding skills.

I found the whole day a really useful refresher/reminder as to what I was doing and why along with pointers on how to improve a few things to make for smoother safer riding. I have to say Mark was absolutely brilliant and the course was just what I needed. I really liked the way he works with you and would highly recommend him. Although the website really only shows training to pass the test, they also offer Saferider, which is what I did and this is tailored to suit what you want to achieve. :)

BB

GixerBoy
12-01-07, 12:15 PM
Well done BB! :)

pedalingfool
12-01-07, 01:47 PM
Look at the Rospa website as well, those guys know a thing or too, but it can get a wee bit expensive!!

(remember if asked by Plod how fast you were ging always say, "I was making good progress osifer" (police speak)

piglet
12-01-07, 02:39 PM
What you did sounds great BB, and definitely something I shall look into. I promised myself I'd keep training and keep riding regularly, but you know what life's like; it has a horrible habit of getting in the way of biking, so I never get to put in the miles I'd like to. That course sounds right up my street, I think I'll give them a call. I do like to have my faults pointed out to me on a regular basis - not!!

Dabz
12-01-07, 03:09 PM
Mark taught me to ride on my DAS so I know 1st hand he'satop bloke and a great teacher. All credit to you for getting extra training, it's probably something we all should do every now and then. You can teach me a thing or 2 next time we're out now!

nicko600
12-01-07, 09:23 PM
Just completed the IAM Skills for Life course, well worth the £80 it cost.

gixerjonny
12-01-07, 09:50 PM
Nice one BB

so when you out with the trackday gods ;) :-*

BB
13-01-07, 11:09 AM
Nice one BB

so when you out with the trackday gods ;) :-*

It never was my intention to get out with the track day gods, lol. This was all about me and my perception of my own riding and what I wanted to achieve. I wanted to be sure I was a skilful, safe and competent rider with the correct range of skills to do what I want to do on the road. ;)

Incidentally for those who don't know, my off last July was when I hit a deer. The police advised me I was doing/did everything correctly but could not have avoided it. (I don't recall the accident at all)

I may have a bike that is capable of stupid miles an hour but that doesn't mean I have to use it at stupid miles an hour! The throttle works both ways! 8-)

BB

Dabz
13-01-07, 11:40 AM
£80 for AIM Skills for Life sounds tempting, have you got any details nicko600?

timetrial
13-01-07, 01:16 PM
a few years ago I did a course with Advanced Motorcycle Training. All Police Cat 1 instructors with two days in the classroom and two on the road. Actually ended up with a REAL qualification from the NOCN (National Open College Network) equivalent to an NVQ L2!! Not that that's of any use but the training was excellent!!!

Does that mean I've got an 'ology?

nicko600
13-01-07, 05:00 PM
£80 for AIM Skills for Life sounds tempting, have you got any details nicko600?

Check out the following page http://www.salisburyplainadvancedmotorists.org.uk/

£85 buy you the theory evening, a demonstration ride (I was busy so did not attend) and as many ride-outs with an observer as you need to pass the test.

Motorcycle Rep and Coordinator

Paul Carpenter
Tel: 01264 359 928

pcarpenter@salisburyplainadvancedmotorists.org.uk <pcarpenter@salisburyplainadvancedmotorists.org.uk >

It has definately improved my riding.

nicko600
13-01-07, 05:02 PM
pcarpenter@salisburyplainadvancedmotorists.org.uk

It worked that time.

Dabz
13-01-07, 05:12 PM