PDA

View Full Version : Gpx Running Problems.

Genisis
24-01-07, 11:29 AM
Hey guys,
Final got some problems sorted out with my bike.
At the moment i have a strange problem and can't work out what is wrong with it.
Since Decemeber i have had countless problems with electrics Carbs and fuel problems.
I have had to strip clean the carbs about 5-6 times due to fuel flowing out of the over flow pipe which turned out to be a bit of crap on one of the rubber o-rings that the float needle sits on.
I have also had to have a new alternator belt battery Carb inlet rubbers and she is still playong up :-/

The problem i have at the moment is since i fixed the carbs i can now get the bike to start wihtout flooding. But she won't Idle unnless i keep the choke on or keep it at around 3k revs
and she splutters like mad i don't think its a backfire and it clears up a little once i get her above 5k revs but is still running really badly.

What i can't work out is if it's running lean/ rich or if i have another problem (she has had new plugs and i have checked coils and caps.) i do have some new HT leads but i need to make them up as Kwak want £80 for each coil and don't do the leads on there own.

The only other thing that might help is that once you rev the engine it takes ages to come down from 2k to idle speed (around 1k) overrun i think it's called
Dunno if thats enought informaion any help would be great as so far each garage has told me / fixed something and the bike still runs like crap ( kinda happy at least it runs now ;p)

Thanks in advance.
Matthew

jonnydangerous
24-01-07, 12:41 PM
sounds a bit like an air leak? check the new carb rubbers, and generally tighten everything up. i have a small "home type" CO meter if you get stuck.....but carbed bikes run VERY rich compaired to cars and read high anyway.....
shout me if youd like to bring it round, im in Tidworth if thats any good.....

Genisis
24-01-07, 01:03 PM
Thanks i will check that out tonight when i get home. The Rubbers that i replaced are on the other side inlet rubbers. If i remeber the Manafold rubbers arn't that bad considuring the age of the bike,
Might have been stupid and not done a clip up or something.

Genisis
24-01-07, 01:33 PM
Quick examination of the Clips that hold the manafold rubbers on. They all seem done up fine. I don't have any WD40 with me to spray on them but no visible signs of any problems.
Did forget to mention that the float levels where adjusted at some point was wondering if that could cause the problem.
Thanks

Gav
27-01-07, 12:25 PM
Does sound like it could be an air leak on the inlet side of the engine, so as said abobe i would check the inlet rubbers 1st and make sure the carbs are fully seated and no cracks or splits in the rubbers.
Also i would cheak the float height, could be low fuel level on 1 or more carb.

alanTDM
27-01-07, 08:17 PM
You say you found crap under the O ring what the float needle sits on well it could of been only 50% of it and the other 50% has blocked your air/pilot or main jet.
If it starts ok when its cold on choke then starts spluttering after a while when the engine warms its cause to much fuel is going in.the fuel is bypassing the main jet via the choke.if you gradually close the choke it will run a bit better but it will die cause if its a blocked jet no fuel is getting through so when you open the choke again it will pick up cause more fuel is getting to the engine but cause its working off the choke its to muchso starts spluttering again,so check for blocked jets.
Oh yea and clean your filter aswell from the tank to carb might be one on carb just before the float needle.
good luck

Genisis
30-01-07, 12:46 AM
thanks for the responce. Simply came down to carb balanace had art deans in swindon do it for me today at a pretty good price and it's fine now..... Well exept that my battery keeps going flat :-?

another day another problem ;D