PDA

View Full Version : GRIT ON ROAD

Gav
04-02-07, 04:47 PM
Well its that time of year again, so for those of you with little experiance or just come back to riding after a break...

Now they have started to grit the roads, you will find there is less grip than there was before they grit...(the salt in the grit brings the oils to the surface of the tarmac)

So with this in mind anyone riding for the next few weeks will find more grip off the normal riding line, cars and 4wheeled things clear a line of grit where the tyres go, and sweep the rest into the centre of the lane...

So stay to the left or right of the lane and you will have more grip....might just save your ass ya know.

BB
04-02-07, 06:35 PM
Gav, where have you been? :o Have they only just started gritting in Swindon? :o They have been gritting the roads in the rest of the County for weeks and it has been mentioned on here several times about the amount of grit about and the roads being slippy!

However, Gav is correct in reminding everyone, just take it easy out there people, just 'cos it's sunny doesn't mean it's not slippery!

BB

gixerjonny
04-02-07, 06:38 PM
Around my way have not seen the gritters yet :-?

nicko600
04-02-07, 06:55 PM
There does seem to be more cack on the roads around Salisbury. The bike forever looks like it has just completed the Paris-Dakar.

GixerBoy
04-02-07, 07:13 PM

And you're not gonna ya redneck!! :o ;D ;)

GixerBoy
04-02-07, 07:19 PM
Well its that time of year again, so for those of you with little experiance or just come back to riding after a break...

Now they have started to grit the roads, you will find there is less grip than there was before they grit...(the salt in the grit brings the oils to the surface of the tarmac)

So with this in mind anyone riding for the next few weeks will find more grip off the normal riding line, cars and 4wheeled things clear a line of grit where the tyres go, and sweep the rest into the centre of the lane...

So stay to the left or right of the lane and you will have more grip....might just save your ass ya know.

Gav,as far as staying to the left or right of the lane,thats where you should be anyway depending on which way the corner goes......On the far left for right-handers and a foot inside the white line for left-handers and straights (of course,ther'es much more to it than that...) Maybe you need to come out with me yourself mate!! :o :-[ ;)

BB
04-02-07, 07:40 PM

Do they not grit in Gloucester or are they just economising in the wilds then?

BB

Gav
04-02-07, 07:59 PM
right oh....

I know they have gritted on the odd night, but its only this week they have been gritting on a dayly basis...

And I know where you should be on the raod GB but how often do you see someone on a bike just sitting the centre of the lane....!!!!!

I was just making a point to everyone to go a little easy...

BB
04-02-07, 08:07 PM
Gritted on the odd night? Only this week they have been gritting on a daily basis? You Swindonites ought to get out into the rest of the County and experience life/weather/road conditions the rest of us experience in the world between built up areas - grit/sh*t/floods/no street lights etc etc... ;D ;D

BB

GixerBoy
04-02-07, 08:47 PM
right oh....

I know they have gritted on the odd night, but its only this week they have been gritting on a dayly basis...

And I know where you should be on the raod GB but how often do you see someone on a bike just sitting the centre of the lane....!!!!!

I was just making a point to everyone to go a little easy...

Yeah I get that mate and its nice of you to remind people but lets get it right for everyone eh! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

gixerjonny
04-02-07, 09:26 PM

BB

A you lot life is slower in the sticks don't knock it >:( >:(
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l90/gixerjonny2006/images-1.jpg
;D ;D ;D

BB
04-02-07, 09:34 PM

BB

;D ;D ;D

I thought you thought you were one of the fast boys??? ;D ;D ;D

gixerjonny
04-02-07, 09:43 PM

BB

;D ;D ;D

I thought you thought you were one of the fast boys??? ;D ;D ;D

you thought wrong :P :P

I know ;)

BB
04-02-07, 09:56 PM
and modest with it! :P :-*

BB

gixerjonny
04-02-07, 10:21 PM

BB

You no me bb :-[ ;)

BB
04-02-07, 10:27 PM

BB

You no me bb :-[ ;)

mmm, we have met! :o :P :-*

Gav
05-02-07, 01:06 PM
Can we just clean this thread up a bit...

The intention of my post was to make the less experianced riders aware that grit on the roads poses a grip issue.
Now im gonna say this once more.....
Cars push the grit to the centre of a lane...so for optimum grip stay either to the right or left of centre...AND HOLD THAT POSITION evan rounds bends....

What im saying is....under normal conditions for lets say a right hand bend...
You would position bike apporx 1 ft from the verge on approach to the bend, on turn in you would cross the lane and hold a right hand position until you begin to exit where you would again aim to be fully upright again approx 1ft from the verge....

CROSSING the lane with grit in the centre is not good....so stay either tight or left....ie hold one position through the whole corner....

GixerBoy
05-02-07, 01:21 PM
Can we just clean this thread up a bit...

The intention of my post was to make the less experianced riders aware that grit on the roads poses a grip issue.
Now im gonna say this once more.....
Cars push the grit to the centre of a lane...so for optimum grip stay either to the right or left of centre...AND HOLD THAT POSITION evan rounds bends....

What im saying is....under normal conditions for lets say a right hand bend...
You would position bike apporx 1 ft from the verge on approach to the bend, on turn in you would cross the lane and hold a right hand position until you begin to exit where you would again aim to be fully upright again approx 1ft from the verge....

CROSSING the lane with grit in the centre is not good....so stay either tight or left....ie hold one position through the whole corner....

I'm sorry Gav but that statement is completely wrong......You are talking about taking the 'racing line' which is sooo not applicable on the road......